PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about stand ons.

6'7 330
06-25-2006, 05:21 PM
We were just awarded new contacts for brand new town homes and condos,we didn't do the install, we were just awarded the maintenance contract .If the observations I have concluded about stand on mowers are correct,they would be good on these account's. I have been noticing many stand on type Z-turns around the area.One conclusion I have made is, these machines take up much less space on a trailer, then a full sized Z-Turn. Observing wright's and Danes around the area, it appears as if two stand on's could fit in the trailer space of one Z-Turn,they look very compact on the trailers I've seen them on.

You fellows who own Wright, Dane or any of the stand on Z-Turns, what kind of operating learning curve was there for you're employees, or yourself to use these type mowers. Are there any major maintenance issues with stand on's that you don't have with a ride on Z-Turn.What kind of cut do they deliver, and are they prone to any kind of scalping. Any and all observations would be most welcome.

DLCS
06-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I just bought a new JD 48" stander this Spring. Wasn't much of a learning curve for me. If you are efficient at running a sit down z-turn, you will take to the stander with no problem. No major differences in maintenance than your normal z turn. The only thing I found is the oil filter is touhger to get at on the JDs but really no difficult. Trimability is superior to the sit down zs cause they are so short and can get in tighter places. I'm not impressed with mine on hills though, my 757's are better for that. As far as scalping not been a problem for me but mine is a 48" floating deck so that may be the reason, leaves a wonderful cut. I load mine sideways on a 7x18' trailer, no problems getting it sideways either, along with 2 757's.

jsf343
06-25-2006, 06:04 PM
good questions that I need some answers on as well. congrats on the new accounts Bill. You must have done two tours? (Sgt.-Marines) I did one, but still follow the brotherhood very closely. Semper Fi!
Jeff

PerfiCut L&L
06-25-2006, 07:40 PM
taggin along, since Im considering picking up one as well. No experience with them, but I've noticed a number of LCO's using them. Compactability is nice, im interested in speed, and ease of use on various terrains.

Rickco
06-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I've run a 52" Scag Hydro with a velke for several years.Doing quick U-turns takes a little getting used to but other than that it's about the same as a z. As far as cut goes,I think it's much better.

DLS1
06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I would try to get a demo for a week. I know of a LCO who bought a Wright Stander and quit using it after a week. He bought a Scag ZTR to replace the Stander. Something about problems around his ankles.

Might work for some but not others. I would think it could bother you knees after a few years with all the bouncing around putting pressure on your knees.

leafitalawn
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I have had the 32" stander 1 1/2 years, and all I can say is WOW.

In my area, we have small gates so that 36" and above are only useful for commercial and larger properties. I used to use two 21"s and 3 people and the most that we'd do in a day is around 22 or so and were dead tired at the end of the day. The next year I got a 32" great dane "champ" single hydro, and ran a 2 person crew doing 20/ day. Third year, I got a 32" belt drive encore and did around 26/day with a 2 person crew. Now, for the past 1.5 yrs I've used the stander and avg 37.5 lawns/day with 2 people. We have done 47 in a 13 hr day here (that's our record). Mind you, this is all the same route year in, and year out.
I LOVE the stander. There is a learning curve though if the properties are small with many obstacles. The operator will need to be efficient at riding wheelies and such. There are several tricks to getting it to operate on your type of lawns. I've learned in my area it is good to run the tires kind of low so there is better traction and less rutting it wet areas. Also, when the dealer is setting up the machine, the rear needs to be in the highest setting, the blades dropped as low as possible, and adjust the front castors to your desired cutting length. Also, if you decide to get the stander....forget getting the mulch kit...it sucks.
I am kind of concerned about letting others mow with it though. I am going to try the "justmowit" approach next year with 2 people crews and the stander. I was concerned until I thought it over and decided that I'm going to have to delgate and trust in order to create the business that I want for myself. "Trust" being the main word. I know you have plenty more experience than I in that manner 6'7 330. I figure if I trust them with everything else, then I'm going to have to trust that they learn the mower as I have learned it. Maybe you can give me advice on getting/keeping a good foreman..?? :)

Compensating one good employee with that sort of efficiency is still cheaper than 2 employees with two 21"s....that's the way I figure anyway. I guess I'll see next year.

peace,
-g

AL Inc
06-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I've been running 52" Wright Standers since 2001 and have been very happy. My foreman had experience on the stand-on, so he was off to the races to begin with. My other men picked it up pretty quickly as well. With some experience, your operators will learn how to minimize scalping and tearing when making turns. I don't think there is any more of a scalping problem than with the walk behinds (never owned a rider). Cut quality is very good IMO.
I have a great dealer who usually will make repairs while we wait, not that there are many. I actually have had more problems with the Kawasaki motors than with the machines themselves. I would recommend the Wright.

ed2hess
06-25-2006, 11:16 PM
We replaced a 36" Snapper hydro with the Wright Sentar Sport with the rapid height adjustment. We do small yards and so far it is a great little machine. It has a seat you can sit onif you want. It has the 17HP two cyclinder Kaw. It is touchy on hydro but our unit has real wide wheel but you have to watch cutting up turf. If you are tall the controls are a little low when standing but not bad. The machine seem durable, but no grease certs on any of the deck hinge points. I have an upgrade kit at the dealer related to the deck so don't know what is it. So far we think it is the most productive unit we bought. The blade sits even with the bottom of the deck and that makes it easy to scalp but we aren't cutting any low grasses.The customer support has been good.

dKoester
06-25-2006, 11:16 PM
You aren't supposed to lock your knees on a stander.

syzer
06-26-2006, 12:46 AM
I absolutely love our stander, we are picking up a 52 or 61 stander very soon. There productivity is insane. I don't think there is any learning curve for anyone who is mechanically inclined.

I would go for the Wright if you are considering one. They will also do some serious hills. There are a lot of nay sayers that will talk it down on hills, but I honestly think thats due to their lack of experience. You have to lean and not be intimidated. Once you are familiar with it you will not believe what you can cut with it.

Good Luck!

Scotts' Yard Care
06-26-2006, 12:51 AM
to this thread, I saw a very intriguing machine on E-Bay that seemed to combine the best of a stander and a Z. You rode and operated the machine from roughly the center while sitting on a motorcycle type seat. It was a Wright machine, I believe, but I've never seen another like it. Built in 2003 if I recall correctly.

ITL
06-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Bill

We cut cool season grass with a 2005 model year 52 inch 23HP Wright Stander using a factory mulch kit that separates the three blades into separate compartment. We use the factory(oregon brand) high lift blades after some other trials. The cut is good/acceptable. Striping is moderate. In the spring with high lush growth when mowing wet grass you will have some stringers (separate blades of grass uncut) from behind the caster wheels. We notice but we are looking for that "perfect" cut. I suspect the cut would improve with open side discharge but we like not blowing into mulch beds.

We cut residentials from 5000 to 30,000 square feet and can use it for the small lots we used to only run 21 inch push mowers before with the exception of the few fenced lots that have small gates the 53 inch width will not fit. The 52 inch full frame stander seems to hold minor slopes and landscaping berms. Scalping does not seem to be an issue but we mow at 3.5 to 3.75 inches (measured on flat concrete). The front of deck center two small wheels seem to help.

We were using 21 inch mowers before the 52 inch Stander. We each took about 30 minutes to review the manual and practice manuevering with the blades not engaged to get the feel for the machine. After that we started mowing going a little slow at first. After the first day most felt like part of machine. By second day our lines were straight and had got the feel of being the "differential" when making turn so as not to pull grass from tires when making quick turns.

We do not notice human factor issues from standing on the platform even on the 30,000 square foot lots. Suspect the tires take some of the bumps. We set tire pressures in the center of specification range. It looks less jolting than the stand velkeys.

After one year of use have only had to do scheduled maintenance except for one clip on on an idler pully that came off at 30 minutes of use. Replaced with cotter pin without further issue. Fuel consumption runs between 0.9 to 1.1 gallon per hour. We keep seeing more of the Standers in use in our area.

See if you could demo one for a couple of days to make sure it is the correct fit for this part of your business.

Best regards

Wayne

Howie's Lawn Care
06-26-2006, 01:47 AM
I just bought a new JD 48" stander this Spring. Wasn't much of a learning curve for me. If you are efficient at running a sit down z-turn, you will take to the stander with no problem. No major differences in maintenance than your normal z turn. The only thing I found is the oil filter is touhger to get at on the JDs but really no difficult. Trimability is superior to the sit down zs cause they are so short and can get in tighter places. I'm not impressed with mine on hills though, my 757's are better for that. As far as scalping not been a problem for me but mine is a 48" floating deck so that may be the reason, leaves a wonderful cut. I load mine sideways on a 7x18' trailer, no problems getting it sideways either, along with 2 757's.
There's a company from out of town that mows our KFC. There name is Greentech Pro. Anyways, they have an Isuzu with a big flatbed and they store 2 Dixie Chopper ZTRs, and one wright stander. There's no way they make money on the KFC they mow. Its the only lawn I see them do around here and they pull their 18K worth of equipment for a pretty small job.

ThirdDay
06-26-2006, 07:52 AM
We find the new, more compact z riders more productive and they can do almost anything a stand on can.

If you go the stand on route...get the Wright Stander.

ThirdDay
06-26-2006, 07:54 AM
We find the new, more compact z riders more productive and they can do almost anything a stand on can plus they are much easier on your employees which equals more productivity.

If you go the stand on route...get the Wright Stander.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I have been running Wrights for 3 years.....The first year I had a 61" with the 23hp Kawi. It was underpowered and clumped alot. I traded that for a 52" 23hp, it is much better and I do 10-13 1/3 acre to 1/2 acre lots in a day solo.....

I really like it.....I like the view from it, and I like not having to sit down and get up, you just step on and go.....

If mowing at different heights is an issue....then be aware that the Stander is more of a one height mower. It can be changed but not with the ease of a floating deck....

outlaw1960
06-26-2006, 09:32 AM
After many demo's I decided to go with a 36" Wright Stander RH. It holds hills better than the 36" compact Z's, tried them all, except the gravely, no dealer close. It takes less space on the trailer and gets into 90% of the gates, almost eliminating the need for a second piece of equipment. If you have used a z-turn before the learning curve is very short, if not, watch the turns. I like the rh feature, and I have not had any problems with scalping. The quality of cut is as good or better than my toro z-turn. Oh, we also cut the same type of grass as you have in Chicago. Good luck in your decision, and hope this helps.......

impactlandscaping
06-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Bill, If you don't have my #, get it from Mac. I don't have time to type everything here,lol..

jsf343
06-26-2006, 10:46 AM
There is no way to bag with a stander correct? only mulching? How do you guys use them on High profile accounts? or do you??what is the cost range on the wright stander and others that would be considered comparable?

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-26-2006, 10:54 AM
There is no way to bag with a stander correct? only mulching? How do you guys use them on High profile accounts? or do you??what is the cost range on the wright stander and others that would be considered comparable?

I have an Accellerator bagger for my Stander......the pic of the one on the Acellerator web site is actually my old unit.....

I don't bag grass.....only leaves

D

Oxmow
06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I have run a wright stander for the last 4 years. It is a great machine and i haven't had any knee/leg problems yet. cept for the occasional run into a stump or such hidden in the grass (ouch) There is a learning curve for jumping curbs, (read lots of wheelies) I have a 48" The next one i buy will be a 48" RH.

Alta Lawn Care
06-26-2006, 02:32 PM
I use a JD 657 Quik-trak with a 54" deck. It's my first machine so I can't compare it to the sit-down zero turns. My only beef is that when it's wet it is easily stuck. I really like the machine. In VT this year, we've had a wet season so I've used the come-along twice, my truck once, and before that, the ratchet straps from my trailer to get the thing out of the mud. Dixie Chopper syle tires look like they might be better than the turf tires on the JD. Anybody have an opinion whether I shoulld swap the tires out or not?

The cut is supurb. Learning curve is not bad. I'm still working on not tearing up the lawn on turns. Going downhill in my yard (steep), the weight of the things pulls it faster than I want to go and if I try to slow down, it skids. Going full speed mowing, bumps will cause occassional wheelies, creating a less than plush cut.

I haven't sharpened the blades yet, anybody have a recommendation on how best to lift the deck to get at them? Changing the oil is a snap--although the filter is a little tough to get to.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Try backing up over curbs....one rear wheel at a time.......

wski4fun
06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Stander all the way. Superior over the other stand on ones. About half the companies in the suburb of Boston use them. Easy to change blades with two people. If solo then a jack helps a lot. Go with the biggest engine especially if you will be pushing leaves.

old dog 80
06-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I demoed a Wright Sentar and was less than impressed with handling and cut quality.I found controls to be too quick and hard to adjust to.That is from ztr
and walk behind floating decks .You could sell me one if you had a floating deck.From what I understand Deere is backing out of this market so I wouldn't
want to buy one from them.Has EverRide come out with a floating deck?

CutInEdge Lawn Care
06-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Talked to local LCO here last summer that bought the wright stander. We talked while filling up gas tanks and he was not happy with it. He put all his eggs in one basket, bought the machine and learned that it would not cut bahia. He said he can go over it 5-6 times and still look like crapola. So he dropped all his bahia yrds and was trying to go with only the st. aug grass. Havent seen him this yr. Would like to know what and if he still has it or likes it.

ALarsh
06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
A local LCO switched from Ferris Z's to the Wright Standers this year. The quality of cut is NOT good but it looks to be a little more agile in the tight spots. If i'm buying one, it better cut better than just ok.

logan
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
We run a 52 Dane SS and a 36 Stander. Both of them are awesome,though the Dane clumps a little in wet grass. They both leave a great cut with the stander a little better.

TLS
06-28-2006, 10:40 PM
You cant "feather" the deck over obstructions, into hillsides, etc. Like you can with a ZTR.

AlpineNaturescapes
06-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Wayne,
did the factory mulch blades do a bad job? High lifts plus mulch deck seems a bad combo in tall or wet grass.

ProMo
06-29-2006, 08:53 AM
The mulch kit is the worst I have used. The high lift blades choke the deck, When I go around a swimming pool the blowout on the left side goes into the pool wich is not good. I tried exmark wavy mulch blades and it doesnt choke the deck but the blowout is still bad. I have emailed Wright 4 times with no response

ITL
06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Alpine

IIRC the factory mulch kit is set up to use the standard high lift blade used when side discharging. The only significant blowout I see is if part of the deck is over concrete.

We used Oregon Brand Gater Mulch blades with the mulch kit and they did fine in the fall when grass growth was less. We found that the early spring wet heavy lush growth worked best with sharp high lift blades.

Thirdpete
06-29-2006, 07:37 PM
these are the criticisms i have heard around here..

I work in from about Franklin Park (east) to Wheaton (west) and from Addison (North) to Villa Park (South) and about 1/3rd of the customers I acquired this year asked me before hiring if i used standers. I replied no, and they seemed happy.

I think that standers are best suited for commercial applications, where there's a lot of patios, trees, bushes, and landscapes to mow around (like subdivision common areas and town-homes). they're heavy and rut badly (its been wet here a lot lately, you can attest to that) and thats most notable in wideopen areas, like the small 2-5k square feet of turf lots in the suburbs. front and back yards mowed after its wet look bad, and between the weight of the operator and the weight of machine, theres no getting around it.

the townhome i live in (the entire association) is cut by guys with standers. no rutting because theres no areas to leave stripes, all the cutting is curving around this, pulling forward between that, backing up, etc.

plus, ive heard a few people complain about the engine heat.

just my thoughts.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-30-2006, 08:27 AM
. they're heavy and rut badly (its been wet here a lot lately, you can attest to that) and thats most notable in wideopen areas, like the small 2-5k square feet of turf lots in the suburbs. front and back yards mowed after its wet look bad, and between the weight of the operator and the weight of machine, theres no getting around it.

just my thoughts.

I assume that is compared to walk behinds. As for rutting.....that is why you don't mow the same direction each week. I will rotate the angle I cut 90 degrees each week.... and have no problem with rutting....

poonero
06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
i own 2 deere 647 standers awesome machines, easy to use, plenty of power and cut from the factory like they have a stripe kit even though they dont even make one for them. the pic next to my name was done with a 647 stander no stripe kit. nothing cuts like a deere.

poonero
06-30-2006, 10:01 PM
they are bad in wet weather. you stand right on top of the rear axel and that extra weight goes right to the tires. i put oversized tires on mine you have to be more careful of mohawking but it eliminates the rut factor.

6'7 330
07-01-2006, 02:39 AM
We are demoing the Deere now, so far I'm impressed by the quality of cut, laid a damn good stripe on my own lawn. There is somewhat of a learning curve for the workers, in the sense of getting use to the controls and standing up, hills .We also are going to demo a Wright, after both demo's are complete,I will give impressions of both mowers and the one we decide to go with.

MTR
07-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Down here, guys with Standers seem to loose accounts quite often which I don't understand. They cut like 1/2 season and then suddenly new LCO come in, this should tell something. I would stick with wb/sulky as gate or hill-slope machine , and a Z as your frontline, these combo seems to last FOREVER and can cut virtually everywhere.
Again, why would you spend over 6k for a Standon? I don't get it.

ProMo
07-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I have the 54" qwik trak and a 36" wright and sometimes it is faster to use the 36 because it is better balanced and can turn faster but the deere has better mulch ability and leaves a cleaner cut. after purchasing I obtained a 5 acre account and cut it a couple of times with the deere and decided to put my dixie back in service after about 3 acres the standing was a bit much on the legs but anything under that is no problem

Hermanator
07-01-2006, 09:50 AM
We are demoing the Deere now, so far I'm impressed by the quality of cut, laid a damn good stripe on my own lawn. There is somewhat of a learning curve for the workers, in the sense of getting use to the controls and standing up, hills .We also are going to demo a Wright, after both demo's are complete,I will give impressions of both mowers and the one we decide to go with.

Bill, what number is the deere stander? I have searched the deere web-site and can't find it? thanx in advance. really looking forward to hearing what your opinion is on the standers. we are thinking of switching over to them, but worried about losing accounts due to the weight issue.

REALSLOW
07-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I have used the Old style Great Dane and the New style John Deere ,with out a dought in my mind the old style design that Great Dane lost the rights to Wright Stander is a better plat form.

The old Great Dane style was a great concept and if I am not mistaken the Wright stander is a close clone? These mower's in certain conditions are the best I have used( EXCEPT FOR THE DEERE Poo Poo machine gets stuck way to heavy not that reliable and all people I know who bought them who owned the old style Great Dane felt the machine was a very distant second, I rented one for a day and all I can say is you might as well buy a ZTR rider} for doing small tight areas where you have to get on and off the machine they will eat a rider up. In tight areas I feel they are the finest machines available, I use the Hydro walk behinds with a fixed sulky but a wright stander is more eFficient than that by far and they do not rut near as bad as a 1100 pound rider. I never had a problem with OLD Great dane machine tearing turf compared to a Big rider. The wright Stander has one major flaw the fixed platform should be spring loaded for comfort and should turn the blades off and on when you stand off and on the machine.

All I can say is I now have a Hustler Super Z and the old style Great Dane I used to use is better in quite a few cutting conditions you just have to use one to understand and the John Deere? if you gave me one I would sell it the next morning!

Hermanator
07-01-2006, 10:32 AM
found it already. hope to hear what your findings are.

6'7 330
07-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Bill, what number is the deere stander? I have searched the deere web-site and can't find it? thanx in advance. really looking forward to hearing what your opinion is on the standers. we are thinking of switching over to them, but worried about losing accounts due to the weight issue.
Hi there,Herm
It is The 647 with a 48 or 54 inch deck, I forgot which deck size LOL.

robertsturf
07-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Bill I would highly recommend the Wright over the Deere. The Deere has the nod in the discharge area , but because of the wheel base they get stuck way to easy and don't hold the hills nearly as well as the Wright. The Wright holds hills better than most walk-behinds. As far the discharge problems we run doubles on both our Wrights and they stripe like nobodys business. BTW we own 2 52" 23hps. I've also owned a Deere 54" Quick trac and a 36" Dane.

Precision
07-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Bill I would highly recommend the Wright over the Deere. The Deere has the nod in the discharge area , but because of the wheel base they get stuck way to easy and don't hold the hills nearly as well as the Wright. The Wright holds hills better than most walk-behinds. As far the discharge problems we run doubles on both our Wrights and they stripe like nobodys business. BTW we own 2 52" 23hps. I've also owned a Deere 54" Quick trac and a 36" Dane.
The 54 Deeres that I used had all kinds of minor breakdown issues. safety switch this week, stretched blade bolt next week, operator sensor switch the next week, blade PTO switch the next week. All on machines with less than 400 hours.

They did cut good and the quick height adjust was really nice. But they do get stuck and slide fairly easily. And once stuck they have no ability to get themselves out. They just spin on the wet grass/ mud.

I really liked using the stander type, but Hate Deere and the Wrights didn't cut bahia well as someone noted and the mulch kit I tried was awful. In addition I will not buy a mower that takes that long to change cut heights.

brizz
07-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Truthfully to me stand ons walk behinds are a waste of money and time unless you have steep inclines or all of your yards are 1/4 acre. I would rather own a 42" zero turn and save the time and effort.

jameson
07-19-2006, 02:14 AM

Bill

Just thought I'd rattle your chain re this thread....I'd really like to hear your review/thoughts/impressions of the Wright...

Keep us posted.

Hovey's Lawn Care
07-19-2006, 03:05 AM
I just got a John Deere 657 and love it so far. I have noticed that most of my residentials get done quicker, more effeciently. Possibly more so than when I used a 60" lazer! Now that is on typical residentials. The bigger wide open yards, my lazer would do better, but now for most of what I do it works well. I highly recomend either the john deere's or the wright, both good machines. I love the cut from my machine, real clean smooth even cut, however I am gonna do some tweaking to get my stripes to where they are better. As far as the learning curve goes, if you have operated a sit down z, then you are good to go quickly, practice, but by the time I did 2 property's I had it down. If you haven't operated the sit down z's then may take a lil longer but will be fine. For about 5 minutes, it reminded me of the first time I drove a sit down z, kinda jerky and hard to cut straight lines, but not bad at all. Good luck in whichever you choose, and happy standing to ya!

REALSLOW
07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
I will tell you it's all opinion. I rented a JD stander for a day for a cleanup it got stuck 3 times and it was hard to get unstuck the machine was plain heavy and tore the turf way more than the old style great dane.

My freind bought a new JD stander and they have a old style Great Dane as well needless to say they will never buy another JD stander. They do cut nice but from there it is down hill!

MTR
07-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I ride my Z, 5-1 over Stander any day...when hill requires, just grab my Tracer. I won't spend like 6-7k for a Stander! When the sun torching @ 2 pm afternoon, you will thank your Z. Standing really really takes toll regardless how experience you are.

REALSLOW
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I ride my Z, 5-1 over Stander any day...when hill requires, just grab my Tracer. I won't spend like 6-7k for a Stander! When the sun torching @ 2 pm afternoon, you will thank your Z. Standing really really takes toll regardless how experience you are. ng it were to lazy That is not true I find the ZTR's make you lazy. I just picked up a huge account because the clowns doing it were to lazy to get off the ZTRs and do the ground work correctly. I loved the old style great dane for comfort and I was shocked at how bad the redesign JD was. I just wish Wright did not have the patent so the technology could really go foward!

robertsturf
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM
To the guy that would rather walk behind his turf tracer than use a stand-on. Thats just plain stupid. I would put my Stander just about anywhere you can put a walk-behind. Why not just have one mower not 2. The Stander I believe is the best "compromise" to a "Z" . I have used both and currently have 2 52" Standers and plan on buying 2 more.

REALSLOW
07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
To the guy that would rather walk behind his turf tracer than use a stand-on. Thats just plain stupid. I would put my Stander just about anywhere you can put a walk-behind. Why not just have one mower not 2. The Stander I believe is the best "compromise" to a "Z" . I have used both and currently have 2 52" Standers and plan on buying 2 more. I love the standers but I have never had a wright, no one sells them here. I found the Old Style Great Dane to be the best do it all mower ever made but they had problems and the wrights are somewhat long in the tooth, old deck design. They finally got the rapid deck adjust which they needed, I am really interested in one. I need a good mower for doing slopes that will not tear the turf up so bad. I was just comparing my 52" Lesco Hydro with a fixed velkie to my Super Z today. My Lesco has 20x 10 wheels and I cut the roller off the front and mounted a 3rd front wheel and caster on it. I fixed all the little problems from the factory and the machine is pretty good now BUT ???? with the fixed velkie it has problems swinging the velkie on hills. The super Z is good on hills but it tears the turf up. The midsize with a velkie will really smoke the super Z in tight areas, I mean I have this thing to where it mows at 9 miles an hour and I can change directions and not wreck the grass at that speed. I love the Super z but ZTRs are brutal on grass if you are not careful. I am looking for a mower to fill my nitch. The Lesco is good but my XR 7 Super Z modern deck is superior. The Lesco deck is dated I need a machine with a modern deck I thought mabey the Super walk behind might be a good choice but I bet because my Lesco is shorter it will actually swing a fixed velkie on hills better? How good are the Wrights on slopes ? because I really liked the old Great dane.

M RASCOE&SONS
07-19-2006, 09:03 PM
bill you should test the wright sentar because you can use it as a stander or a sit down (seat folds up).i tested out the 36 inch sentar for my gated yds and boy i liked it,and we mow with 2 / 6o inch lazers.good luck

6'7 330
07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
The stander is perfect for the type of account we want to put it on, my opinion nothing you can buy will beat it,or will be faster on the tight properties. We demoed the 48 with the 19HP engine, 19 HP seems to have adequate enough power on our cool season turf.

Firstly,The stand-ons just as I envisioned fit compactly on a trailer.The Deere does cut nice, stripes nice, but I found the Deere to be less responsive on turns, The Wright was much better. The stander seems surer on slopes then does the Deere; the Deere did slide on some slopes that the Wright handled and the Deere will spin its wheels on turns. The stander holds a slope pretty good, and has a good quality of cut and on our cool season turf, laid down an excellent stripe. The mowers are going to cost a bit more then id like, but the increased production of the Wright on the accounts we plan to utilize them on, is going to make us a lots of money.

pugs
07-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I had a customer that had an Old style Great Dane...good god, that thing was horrible. I hope the new ones are better. The way they had those things setup you actually stood behind the rear axle on a fold down thing. For someone in my size category...yah, I want something to mow grass not ride wheelies. It was a bit scary.

We have begun seeing more Wrights and are actually going to be taking them on very soon. The local dealer just got out of the turf market so we plan to snatch them up. Seems like they are all you see around here anymore. Everywhere you look someone has a Wright. Compared to that old Great Dane they are far superior. You can jump right on and go. That Great Dane made me nervous every time I went near it.

One of our distributors just took on Everride and our salesman brought some down to show us. They are a bit funky lookin but seem like decent machines. Only problem is alot of our customers are looking for those 32/36" machines and Everride only goes down to 48" I think.

I know Dane and Deere are related...dunno about anymore. Is Everride tied to them somehow or???

REALSLOW
07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
They are all limited to a certain design because wright has the patent. It is basically keeping the technology in the stone ages in my opinion.

I liked the old Great Dane I could ride a wheelie a couple hundred feet on a good hill around the pool area on this condo complex and impress the ladies while they were sun bathing.

mr mow
07-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Ive used great danes surfer and supersufers before where i used to work and a ss now that i own my own biz. I do like them(the stand on idea, it seems very natural). several years ago when i first started at this company and even till present day they still have and buy scag 3 wheel riders, theres a niche for it(turning correctly) to roll over contours with out scalping(only 30-40% of empl. get it. same with stripes. there just there for the paycheck) then we phased in the danes and there were some quality of cut issues,i think its cause the wrong people were on them. you cant take a walkbehind and zeroturn right into the side of a hill(you need to learn finesse,angles..etc...). so we got rid of them,i always loved them and i was there top guy but i have experience! then we got dane chariots(my opinion, i didnt care for)(also my first exp. with a floating deck) but what i like was the foot pedal to raise and lower height,it help alot on uneven and tricky ground...if you knew you were going to scalp you can feather the deck to make it look great.Now mind you i could of bought a lot of other riders starting up that were used, did not see one wright but saw some ss danes and snatched it. never used or actually looked at one in person a wright but they seem like the ticket with that rapid height adjust. if my thinking is correct you should be able to use it the same way as z-turn rider foot pedal. One major concern you should have with stand ons is if someone who is an idiot (doesnt understand the laws of gravity) get on one and goes straight up a steep hill it is very likly the front wheels might bounce cause it to back filp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I personally saw it once with 61" G.D. surfer(1st gen) it landed with blades in the air and still running at full tilt! scariest thing i ever saw. i was in charge of this crew and i was told to let this guy get some exp. operating it. next thing you know i look over and the oper. is on the ground, about maybe 5 feet from mower..blades just a hummin, and hes lookin at me all scared and confused. instantaniously i was there on the grass hitting the blade kill switch and key. anyways i love-em,go with the wright and let them learn where there are no very steep hills.