PDA

View Full Version : PRICING??? 1 Ton Truck for Landscaping

BeautifulBlooms
06-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Anyone have an idea of where to locate pricing for 1 ton trucks for sale. We have a landscaping associate selling a Dodge 3500 5.8 L Cummins Diesel 1 Ton w/ Central Hydraulics (not electric lift) with 110,000 miles on it. It comes with a plow and a sander (Also what would the value be on a used 9' plow and sander if in fair condition (ballpark only maybe $1000 each??? I have no idea). Bed had rusted from the salting and sanding but could easily be sandblasted and powdercoated to make it last. Body of the truck has a small amount of rust under then doors, but everything else seems to be in good workable order.

He is asking $11,200 for it on the side of the road but because we are associates and fdo a lot of work together he has offered it at $10,000 to us.

Is this a reasonable price? I know it is only a ballpark without knowing exact details but I dewcribed it as best I could.

Anyone have input?

Mike Harrington

tthomass
06-25-2006, 09:36 PM
yes that is a good price......BUT what year is it? auto or manual? injector pump and lift pump issues? and lets not forget the ball joints in the front end?

BeautifulBlooms
06-25-2006, 10:11 PM
1997, Automatic, Dont know about the injector pump or lift pump. I will be taking it to a mechanic of some sort to help us with th specifics. And I am sure they will forward on any history of maintenance.

Jpocket
06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Well the truck is what it is...Central hydra. Plow sander. All GREAT STUFF. But it's stil got 110,ooo miles, and it's has the infamous Dodge Auto trans.

If it's got alll that stuff you know those 110 weren't easy miles, THEY WERE HARD MILES. I mean you can expect to be rebuilding the trans, and doing u-joints, ball joints, bushings, front springs, rears, lift cylinder, hydro hoses, INJECTOR PUMP, Altenator, etc...

Plus you gotta sandblast and repaint the body. Trucks like this are tough, b/c they are good trucks, but if you buy the WRONG one you willl be getting into more than you bargained for. I have my eyes on one 1993 GMC 3500 Dump w/ central Hyd. 454 9ft Dimaond plow Ex. Municipal truck w/ 90,000 miles. Guy wants $9500 sure I could get it for $8500, but Im kinda cared of it b/c if all that stuff is worn out you'll be spending another $2,000 to get it right. See the truck everyday and GOD I want it, and it's GRENN too, but..........

cet
06-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I have a 2000 Dodge. The front ends are weak. I have had no tranny or engine problems. With the Dodge you will have a poor payload. With the plow and sander you will be around 9,000lbs. and I bet your GVWR will be between 11,000 to 12,000. In that style of truck to get a good payload you need either the 450 or 550 Ford. Also if the bed does not have a hydraulic lift I would bet there is a ton of rust under it.

Gravel Rat
06-26-2006, 12:48 AM
If its not a true cab and chassis and its a P/U with a dump box it will have even less payload.

I wouldn't bother with the truck it prolly has seen some hard abusive miles. The days are gone where you could use a 1 ton truck running it overloaded you need a truck that has a legal payload.

Dodge trucks are not the best anyhow I know guys with them and they are constantly replacing the front end, rebuilding automatic transmissions and rebuilding rear axles.

Trucks that have been used for plowing are usually rust buckets road salt just kills anything it touches.

There is a reason why these guys are selling the truck it is because its a POS.

Jamesgateslandscaping
06-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Use the money as a down payment on a new one, you'll never regret it because it was damn near impossible to find a clean, resonably priced 1 ton around me. Everyone wanted new prices for trucks that were 2-3 years old, and if it was a decent price, the piss had been beaten out of it!:hammerhead: :confused: :cry:
JMO.
James

Jpocket
06-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Use the money as a down payment on a new one, you'll never regret it because it was damn near impossible to find a clean, resonably priced 1 ton around me. Everyone wanted new prices for trucks that were 2-3 years old, and if it was a decent price, the piss had been beaten out of it!:hammerhead: :confused: :cry:
JMO.
James

There ya go...With a heavy duty truck thats the only way to getr one you know hasn't been beat to death. Be nice if you could find a 10 myear old cream puff...But with a plow, sander, and central hdra. you know the deal.

J&R Landscaping
06-26-2006, 09:51 PM
A dealer around me has a 1998 GMC 3500HD Dump for sale. 454, auto 60k miles for 14900. I'm kinda considering it.

Then motor under the hood of that truck be still be alive for a long while but it has some miles on it and chrysler has some suspension and tranny issues as previosly mentioned.

cet
06-27-2006, 11:06 PM
A dealer around me has a 1998 GMC 3500HD Dump for sale. 454, auto 60k miles for 14900. I'm kinda considering it.

Then motor under the hood of that truck be still be alive for a long while but it has some miles on it and chrysler has some suspension and tranny issues as previosly mentioned.

I have that same truck in a 1999 6.5 TD. I would think that 454 would be really hard on fuel. Mine with a steel dump box is close to 9,000lbs. empty.