PDA

View Full Version : anyone own or use a 1999 hustler 1500 shortcut???

milo
06-25-2006, 08:42 PM
i can buy one of these from a guy but dont know how they are. you can like stand on it and the seat is in the rear. it is a 60 inch cut. anyone ever use one?? if yes how are they in speed, cut ride? any help great..

milo
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
so no one ever used one of these?????

John Gamba
06-27-2006, 07:13 AM
so no one ever used one of these?????

I found the one i used to be high but alot of fun. The deck on the 60" is offset about two feet so it will get under bushes.

milo
06-27-2006, 01:15 PM
so are they perty good mower to??? i always run zero turn riders and hoping they are something like them in handling and speed?? let me know thanks

John Gamba
06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
so are they perty good mower to??? i always run zero turn riders and hoping they are something like them in handling and speed?? let me know thanks

They Zero turn just like mowers now. I forgot what speed they do and the deck is the old Hustler deck but it was a good mower unless you where in very wet grass. I think back in the day any mower was bad in wet grass.

See if PJ cant find the video on it-I said video not DvD:laugh:

rob7233
06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Had a friend that used to use one. Said they were about as fast as a walkbehind but a lot heavier and prone to rutting. A 1999 is still an old mower, don't know if I'd want to use it as a primary :nono:

edward hedrick
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I demoed a 54" one, I liked the H bar steering. It was high, mine had a 20 koh

very loud with small muffler needs a large canister. The seat was hard it

was above the gas tank. I've seen them on the Hustler web site. Would I buy

one? Depends on price and condition.

rob7233
06-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I've seen them on the Hustler web site

Edward,
Where on Hustler's website did you see the Shortcut? I looked on it but couldn't find it. Did it show any video that was referred to earilier in this thread? Where can that be seen at?.....anyone know?

PaulJ
06-29-2006, 01:17 AM
They haven't made the shortcut in a few years. It has the same controlsashulers walkbehinds. the h-bar they call it is the easiest controls of any mower. The decks are similaretothe older wB decks also. they cut great. ti was a stand orsit mower long before wright had the idea of the sentar.

cajuncutter
06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a 99 Shortcut, still using it today. I just recently replaced the 22 Kholer with a 25. It is put up on weekends in the garage and if there is a threat of rain it gets put up. That year model came with the carrier frame that sports the small castor tires. It is a rough ride. Back in 2004 I got a deal on the Hustler Hog. In that deal I got a new carrier frame with the larger tires. Also in the deal they pitched in a new model 54 inch deck. The plan was to put together another 54 inch mower. Instead I kept the Hog in tact and just replaced the carrier and deck on my original Shortcut. Finally this year my 22 Kohler was having serious issues so I installed the 25. Other than that I love the machine. When it is time to switch over to a ZTR rider it will be a tough transition for me. I love this machine. I also love my Hog, that thing is total BAD!!
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6236&d=1049320716
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20283&d=1085192305

PaulJ
06-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I wish HUstler hadn't given up on this mower like they just did on the super WB. I think they could have fought wright harder about the patent. the shortcut is nothing like the standers. HOw can they patent a "rider position" anyway? Right now I am torn between trying to find a shortcut to buy close to me or trying to get on of the last 54" Super WB.

John Gamba
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
the shortcut is nothing like the standers. HOw can they patent a "rider position" anyway? .

The Patent says No standing or no feet over the rear wheels Or something like that.

Paul i'm going to see about a 60" walk from hustler or anybody that can make one. In Connecticut now the riders are rutting to beat the band.

PaulJ
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
John,

Huslter never made a 60" super WB like they said they would. the 54" would be close. You could fit a 48" or 54" super WB wiht a flex deck ading 18" more, or find a 60" deck (even an exmark deck) and fit it under a hustler super WB frame. Have you ever tried puting larger tires on your 60" tt?

John Gamba
06-29-2006, 02:42 PM
John,

Huslter never made a 60" super WB like they said they would. the 54" would be close. You could fit a 48" or 54" super WB wiht a flex deck ading 18" more, or find a 60" deck (even an exmark deck) and fit it under a hustler super WB frame. Have you ever tried puting larger tires on your 60" tt?

No room on the TT for 20's. Do they make the Xr7 deck 54? The super walk's only problem was the 48 had no trim side and all the decks clumped. I do believe there is a market for mowers like the TT since exmark still makes it. There is alot of hype about riders but when you add up the rutting,turf tarring, turf compaction and no ability to do hills and you need to carry a walk for hills and smaller places, you will see a revers on the riders.

John

mulcahy mowing
06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
one of the big companys here runs them and they seem to like them.

edward hedrick
06-29-2006, 10:26 PM
On Hustlers web site look in their classified section there is one listed w 158 hrs ? Ed

HenryB
06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
For 60 inch walkbehinds Exmark is the only choice. For all the reasons John said. I've owned a bunch of them thru the years great machines. Hustler seemed pretty set against offering a 60 inch walkbehind . Why I don't know?

PaulJ
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
John,
I like not haveing a trimside on the 48". don't have to worry about edge scalping. Add a flex deck and you'll have plenty of trim. I haven't had any clumping trouble with my old 48" deck but I have added the blowout baffle,(actually designed for the shortcut) and enlarged the discharge slightly, plus I run doubles and side discharge or bag.
I think Hustler has plans for a 54" xr-7 butnot on the WB. The biggest WB they make now is the 48" trimstar with the little 17hp engine. :(
maybe you could get a widder tire if not taller on the TT
I agree that there is still a market for the big powerfull WB but Hustler doesn't think so.:( I believe that Huslter took the concept even further than exmarks TT with bigger engines and tires and more speed creating a whole new class of mower but then they gave up before it had a chance..

cajuncutter
06-30-2006, 07:45 AM
I had considered getting a super at one time. I happened to see on EBAY one for sale and it had a rider attachment on it. It made the walkbehind seem as an out front mower. I thought it looked cool.

John Gamba
06-30-2006, 08:09 AM
I had considered getting a super at one time. I happened to see on EBAY one for sale and it had a rider attachment on it. It made the walkbehind seem as an out front mower. I thought it looked cool.

Out front mowers are cool. You can stab the bushes really good and the front tires (or caster tires) dont mush the grass down like the belly mowers do.

John Gamba
06-30-2006, 08:13 AM
John,

I agree that there is still a market for the big powerfull WB but Hustler doesn't think so.:( I believe that Huslter took the concept even further than exmarks TT with bigger engines and tires and more speed creating a whole new class of mower but then they gave up before it had a chance..

They are rider sales drunk now. I hope they sober up in my life time on having a walk that can fill in when the rider goes down and you can have a mower that will give the same appearance as the rider(same deck size)on hills and smaller yards, Kinda like a back up mower for less that you can use during the day.