PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blades And Side Discharging

burroughslawnservice
06-25-2006, 09:58 PM
If you side discharge, are Gator Blades still worth using?

Restrorob
06-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Just about all my commercial mowing guys use the Gators and side discharge, They say the Gators chop the grass smaller than standard high lifts.

fly-4-fun
06-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Rob, you ever heard of using a combo of regular and gator blades on the same mower? Friend of mine said he puts two regular blades on and then on the discharge spindle a gator blade. Says it helps with the size of the clippings. Just wonder what your thoughts were.

Raven386
06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
IMO gator blades are much much better than any high lifts i have used....right now i have one mower on high lifts and the other gator blades just to compare and took a lawn was probably about 4-5" tall it took the gator blades 2 passes and 3 passes some places and the high lifts 4 and still had some clumping.. the mowers were cleaned and everything was running at the same speed etc..

J&R Landscaping
06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey Rob, you ever heard of using a combo of regular and gator blades on the same mower? Friend of mine said he puts two regular blades on and then on the discharge spindle a gator blade. Says it helps with the size of the clippings. Just wonder what your thoughts were.

I know a few LCO's who do this and I think it is a pretty good idea! :)

pugs
06-27-2006, 10:10 PM
We went from regular to Gator's on our John Deere 420 with a 60" deck the year before we sold it. Not much of any difference in mowing...but the difference in what collects under the deck was incredible. Its a very heavy stamped deck with all kinds of wonderful crevices....usually get many pounds of grass out of it at the end of the year...but with the gators there was nothing.

Obviously on the comercial fabricated decks this isnt as big of a problem, but I am sure it still helps a little in that respect.

I have some customers that wont use anything else and some customers that wont touch gators with a 10 foot stick...complaining about the quality of cut when they are mowing with flat tires and no front wheel bearings left...LOL

Restrorob
06-27-2006, 10:37 PM

Na, Can't say that I have. I suppose some guy's try all kinds of combinations to get a better cut with smaller clippings. Had one guy come in from another town and bought a set of high lifts and a set of Gators, Said he was running doubles on each spindle. I didn't ask how well it worked but it must have been working for him.