PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen these before?

Dirty Water
06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
http://www.verteccontractors.biz/images/spider-excavator-1.jpg
http://www.stockerconstructionsitka.com/jpegs/hoe5.jpg

I bet it would be handy in Gravel Rats neck of the woods.

Dirt Digger2
06-25-2006, 09:22 PM
yea, they're hill climbing excavators...i saw a show on the discovery channel on them...I know Terex makes them, check there website out...its pretty cool

Gravel Rat
06-25-2006, 11:57 PM
They are mainly for working in sensitive areas like stream restoration you can walk ingo a stream or water shed and reconstruct it.

I seen the same discovery channel show it was awhile ago. I don't think they are cheap and are limited to what they can dig.

Scag48
06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I personally know a guy that had 2 of these machines out here, he was the only guy that had 1 in about a 500 mile radius. He went to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and dug concrete pads for ski lift towers. He made a TON of money with those things. I actually played around with one of them for about half an hour on day when I was about 12 or 13, pretty cool machines. His machines had hydraulic thumbs, a winch on the stick, a side shift boom, and an extendable stick. He could put those things anywhere, he was always doing shoreline and streambed improvements as well as the typical steep slope work. Both of his machines were made by Schaeff, which I believe is owned by Terex now.

minimax
06-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Check out kempwest.com,that work for wsdot all the time.I'm thinking of adding a 4.5 ton walking ex. with mower head for the 70% and up slopes I work in.In the next 2-3 years but have to get bigger market to support a $160k machine,but I like the idea of $240 hour.

tylermckee
06-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Check out kempwest.com,that work for wsdot all the time.I'm thinking of adding a 4.5 ton walking ex. with mower head for the 70% and up slopes I work in.In the next 2-3 years but have to get bigger market to support a $160k machine,but I like the idea of $240 hour.

what island do you live on? I'm in Anacortes.

ksss
06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
I would imagine the upkeep is high on one of those. That is certainly a lot of moving parts. Wow. That photo of him hanging off the edge is very cool. I think a good company name for a guy with one of these would be Extreme Excavation. "No cliff too stiff".