PDA

View Full Version : Another whats wrong with this grass thread

cochino12
06-25-2006, 10:25 PM
I dont really do fert apps or anything like that, we are mainly mow and go but i was hoping you guys might be able to help. I just picked up this customer and her entire yard is spotted like this. I checked sprinkler coverage etc.. and it looks fine but the yard will not green up.

Yard had pre-m (doesnt know what brand ..) and nothing else yet this year. There was a LOT of winter kill from mites around town though. Could this be mite damage? Any ideas of what she can do? thanks for any help.

adam

K.Carothers
06-25-2006, 10:33 PM
It looks like red thread.

Are the tips of the grass red???

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/redthread/redthread.htm

kc

6'7 330
06-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Looks like a patch disease, brown, summer patch .

K.Carothers
06-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Looks like a patch disease, brown, summer patch .

I agree that pic #4 looks that way but the others have that red thread look.

kc

cochino12
06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
It looks like red thread.

Are the tips of the grass red???

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/redthread/redthread.htm

kc

nope, the tips arent red.

[6'7 330] Looks like a patch disease, brown, summer patch [/QUOTE]

???

topsites
06-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I disagree, that is yellow grass and usually this means it is thirsty. I don't have any pictures of brown grass, but I call this light wheat color 'yellow' and it usually turns brown afterwards unless it gets some water and pronto.

In short, I think it's lack of water in hot spots causing dehydration due to landscaping issues that can't be easily fixed.

Most of these areas are on inclines causing runoff... The reason it is spotted is it would be far worse were the lawn not as healthy as it was, it still stands an excellent chance of making a full recovery, a lesser turf would've died off fairly completely by now.

Picture 1 looks like an area that gets hit hard by the sun, likely late morning to early afternoon, and like I said, inclined area. The house blocks most of the water from pooling at the flat top, what does fall here runs straight down.

Pictures 2 and 3, those two thin trees are mighty thirsty, the roots run up under the lawn and soak up a TON of water... A simple rule of thumb is anytime a tree competes with the lawn, the tree always wins. The only questionable area concerning the tree issue would be towards the brick sidewalk but that's on a slant, so again you have runoff plus it looks like the sun bakes good there at a different time of day (that's what I call a hot spot).

Picture 4, your mower (not your fault, any mower) coming around that right turn near the top corner cuts lower than usual due to lay of the land, thou right there in that corner would be the perfect place to set a hose-powered small area coverage sprinkler and let it go for 2 hours and see if that improves things - If it does, you have your solution.
I would test-water that and maybe one or two other spots for 2 hours each asap and 2-3 days later check it out, that's likely the fast way out of this one.

dcgreenspro
06-26-2006, 02:01 AM
go out in the morning to see the active mycelium..because i thought i saw some...if you have the mycelium and little indentations then it is dollar spot. This lawn definetly needs some fert for now and to be put on an active fert program w/soil test in the fall. you already dismissed red thread then it;s probably dollar spot. Although i wouldn't rule out summer patch, it's highly unlikely. You would have to put that lawn in some really bad shape to get summer patch.

Dashunde
06-26-2006, 02:02 AM
It looks like my own yard did when the grubs ran rampant.

Dig a small hole... are there grub worms under the turf a few inches down?
If so, theres your answer.

6'7 330
06-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Do a soil test,if your area is dry tell the cilent to water deep ,when needed..and instruct them to not water at night.Increase the nitrogen, start a fert program.