PDA

View Full Version : Lost ultravac blower off trailer?

lasher66
06-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi,
Very bad day yesterday, put the ultravac blower on the wheel well when I was not using it to bag grass for one of my accounts and forgot to put it back on the trailer and it must of fell off somewhere when I was driving. Looked everywhere and can not find it. Dealer told me it would be $642 to replace it. Anyone know of any sites or dealers that might be cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jason

K.Carothers
06-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Brother - your lucky! Count your blessings that no one was hurt. You are only out 600+ dollars - Yes, a $600 lesson.

A driver from a local tree company here in Pittsburgh is being charged with the deaths of a father and his 2 boys. He didn't check to see if the chipper was secure - it wasn't and unhitched and creamed a mini van up the street from me.

EVERYONE make it mandatory to do a last walk around of your truck and trailer every time before you pull away.

kc

dcondon
06-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Brother - your lucky! Count your blessings that no one was hurt. You are only out 600+ dollars - Yes, a $600 lesson.

A driver from a local tree company here in Pittsburgh is being charged with the deaths of a father and his 2 boys. He didn't check to see if the chipper was secure - it wasn't and unhitched and creamed a mini van up the street from me.

EVERYONE make it mandatory to do a last walk around of your truck and trailer every time before you pull away.

kc

Very well said. I do it every morning before leaving the shop or if I'm away from the truck for a while.

Ed Ryder
06-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Years ago when I was working at a gas station as a gas pumper I saw a walk-behind blower pop out of a trailer. The guy was driving a little too fast and hit a bump. One of the mechanics quickly snatched it. He was quite happy since it appeared to be brand new.

topsites
06-26-2006, 01:31 AM
Years ago when I was working at a gas station as a gas pumper I saw a walk-behind blower pop out of a trailer. The guy was driving a little too fast and hit a bump. One of the mechanics quickly snatched it. He was quite happy since it appeared to be brand new.

That's likely what happened in this case, too...

The two worst things like this that happened to me was one time I left the bp blower sitting on the tongue and then promptly ran over it with my trailer. 80 dollars for the cracked shroud and 2 hours of diy labor, it was good to go.

The next thing was leaving my notebook with ALL my customer information and my schedule and everything sitting on top of the truck box and driving off, I never did find that notebook again thou I can not say for sure that is what happened... I noticed it missing right after I left HD and I went back there to check but nothing. Since I had just left home before that, I also suspected a revengeful-minded person at home to have snagged it... Either way, it cost me a few customers thou most of it came back in bits and pieces over time lol.

Anytime something like this happens, it just makes me sick to my stomach...
Years later I can look back at it, sometimes I can laugh about it, other times it makes me shake my head.
Now I don't so much double-check, but what I did do is made changes in my routine to where it's all in steps, the worst thing I do nowadays is forget to cut off the Wb and it idles on the trailer for a while lol.

Idealtim
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I've crunched a shindiawa bp blower with the trailer, bounced of the rack at 55.

Oxmow
06-26-2006, 11:51 AM
My brotherinlaw had a shindiawa weedeater eject off his trailer due to an employee not putting the pin in to secure it in the rack. luckily he saw it and got it back before it got run over.

fulano
06-26-2006, 01:11 PM

I was driving a chipper truck on a California freeway about 12-15 years ago and the frame welds of the chipper broke. The tongue and chains were still attached to the hitch of the truck. Anyway I was lucky no one was following me close and the chipper did a couple 360s and went into the grass on the side of the 12 lane road.

K&ALandscaping
06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you for the advice. I almost lost my Gatorade on my rear bumper today. I had just reminded myself of this thread and remembered my bottle. Sorry it wasn't anything as bad as your guys'. Still the experience may prevent a big lost in the future. Thanks in advance.

bigjeeping
06-26-2006, 06:05 PM
My buddy attempts to run a lawn care op and he is the dumbest mofo around.......... let's see... in the past year....

A pull behind drop spreader for a garden tractor went flying off his trailer while driving down the highway... he never did find it

One of his trailer's wheels just went rolling off the trailer while he was driving

In the winter he was at a stop light and when the light turned green his snowblower (which was running in the truck bed) rolled out of the truck and landed in the middle of the intersection. He said he was really embarassed b/c their were plow trucks at every corner of the intersection laughing at him! The reason his snowblower was running was b/c the pullchord broke so he electric started it and kept it running all night :dizzy:

He's had his trailer pop off (didnt have safety chains of breakaways) and it wound up in the ditch, his walk behind which was on the trailer was flipped over in the mud. Some guys across the road brought their bobcat over to get both out.

Driving the other day, his trailer gate (which was secured by a nail) fell down and after hitting some bumps his walk behind (which wasn't secured on the trailer) bounced off the trailer! Haha I'm laughing right now just typing this!

I mean this guy never learns... on any given day he has to return to his house like 2 or 3 times b/c he forgot things he needed for the workday!

I wish I could help but nothing I say ever gets through to this guy..... :hammerhead:

harley29710
06-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Have you checked with the area law enforcement? I worked as a Deputy for six years and you would not believe the stuff that gets put into impound as found property. After so long it's auctioned and the gov't. gets the cash. Worth a phone call!

nitrotim
06-26-2006, 10:43 PM

kc

Good advice. I almost fell victim to letting one of my employees secure the trailer to the hitch only to find it not secure after driving 11 miles to the next stop. I was very lucky that the weight of the two mowers was forward or I would have lost it. Since then I secure all equipment and trailer myself.

Freddy_Kruger
06-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I know that $600 dollar feeling...

I bought a brand new Dell axim v512 and a roots case. I was browsing ride on John deere mowers in Home depot and I took out the pocket to PC to make notes and some how I lost it. I didn't even realize it until a few hours later after I finished a window cleaning job and went to look for my schedule, lol. Made me sick but thankfully some one turned it in to lost and found at HD.