PDA

View Full Version : Do you MULCH or BAG the grass

Mummert's Mowing
06-26-2006, 01:27 PM
We currently MULCH and i wasn't sure if we should switch to BAGGING.

Are there many advantages or disadvantages to either ?

Branchland
06-26-2006, 02:39 PM
We do what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. I do charge more for bagging and require the customer to have a placed to put the clippings. Be it in the woods or in a yard waste bin. On some yards I'd rather bag because it looks better or makes the job qwiker because of how fast/thick the grass is. I hate double cutting. On other yards mulching is qwiker and looks just fine. It's up to you and your customer.

K&ALandscaping
06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
We try to mulch all of our accounts. We explain to the customers that it is better for their yard as it is a natural fertilizer. If we have to bag we charge a $10 bag/ disposal fee. I am lucky though I have the land to dispose of it, plus land in the country to use.

ProStreetCamaro
06-26-2006, 04:42 PM
We do neither. Side discharge only.

Mower For Less
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
We do what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. I do charge more for bagging and require the customer to have a placed to put the clippings. Be it in the woods or in a yard waste bin. On some yards I'd rather bag because it looks better or makes the job qwiker because of how fast/thick the grass is. I hate double cutting. On other yards mulching is qwiker and looks just fine. It's up to you and your customer.

Ditto. Although I do try to talk them into mulching as much as possible.

Kevin

All_Clear
06-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Mulch only! Unless they want to pay hourly labor rate for bagging.

All Clear

topsites
06-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I have ZERO bagging customers :)

Life is good.

GrassBustersLawn
06-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Side discharge is the ONLY way to go!

Mike

imdawrlus
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
what is mulching?? i side discharge, and i always thought it was the same thing.

either way, i dont bag grass on any of my dozen lawns.

Mower For Less
06-26-2006, 06:58 PM
what is mulching?? i side discharge, and i always thought it was the same thing.

either way, i dont bag grass on any of my dozen lawns.

When I said I mulch, I meant I returned the clippings to the yard via side discharging. I do not run a true mulching deck. I tried it for awhile, but was much happier with the side discharge "mulch".

Kevin

lawnboy dan
06-26-2006, 06:59 PM
mulching only here- side discharging makes a mess and takes way too much time!

Howie's Lawn Care
06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Almost every legitimate LCO in my town bags their clippings, especially commercial jobs. I think it definetley depends on the region and grass types your dealing with. I tried mulching and it just made me dislike my brand new mower. Now I side discharge and love it, leaves a beautiful cut. The mulch kit was basically a wast of $94 cash money, along with the gator mulching blades. I will probably get a dump insert or dump truck for mulch work, and in response get a bagging system so I can also offer that service and collect leaves easily. I just have to deal with the process of progression. Maybe someday I will be like lawnsite member TEXASECHO88. He's going to be the Wal-MArt of grass cutting. I bet he bags it all, in plastic bags featuring a smile logo on the side. I'm just sayin'. Have a wonderful evening everyone and I'm out until later this evening.

-Nick Howard

zim bob the landscaper
06-26-2006, 08:26 PM
side discharge and also bagging here in fact im bagging tomrow. well it will be easier becasue my dad got his load handler in.:cool2:

QualityLawnCare4u
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
I mulch except when the client demands it and pays extra. I can mulch or bag it and it looks the same. I only have one bagging client left and that is the last one.

lawnboy dan
06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
i only have one left too. some time i fool her and mulch with the bag in place but the mulch plug still in the chute( 21 rear bagger) she always looks out the window to see if i am bagging.

poonero
06-26-2006, 09:21 PM
95% side discharge bag in the few areas we need to.

green acres lawns
06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Started out bagging with a 48" walker ghs. Great looking lawns but too time consuming. Then I went to side discharge with a 60" lazer. The time I gained was lost cleaning up and trying to hid the clippings. So went to a full mulching deck (52" tiger cub). Conditions have to be right for it to work good. And I was always cleaning the deck. Now I side discharge where I have room and I have the exmark wavey mulching blades on the lazer with an OCDC to keep clippings out of the beds and off the pavement.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-27-2006, 01:31 AM
i only have one left too. some time i fool her and mulch with the bag in place but the mulch plug still in the chute( 21 rear bagger) she always looks out the window to see if i am bagging.

lawnboy dan, I have done that several times also and she cant tell the difference.:laugh:

Liquidfast
06-27-2006, 01:59 AM
The last and ONLY time I EVER bagged grass was in buffalo n.y. when I was 21 years old. It wasnt the kind of grass you are "reefer"ing to but I don't now, nor will I ever bag grass for a customer again. Mulch and nothin else. If they pay extra to get rid of the grass, I will drive in a circle and "push" the grass to the outter edges cuz if the customer maintained their lawn to begin with, it wouldn't or shouldn't be an issue.

jazak
06-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Bag. Only mulch when the grass is getting brownish (If that even happpens) from a drought. The keep the grass. (Gets thrown in the woods or in the garbage can)