PDA

View Full Version : Scalping avoidance

san28734
06-26-2006, 02:30 PM
How do you guys aproach the small hills/bumps in the lawn that you KNOW are going to scalp? I have one account that has a small drainage swail, almost like a berm across the middle of the yard. Even at the highest setting my 44" mower will scalp a little. So, I have been going around it and cutting the top with my 21". It does work, but it takes some extra time to get out to the trailer, walk back, etc. Is there a better way? Should I use the string trimmer since I will be out there with it anyway?

kmann
06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
How do you guys aproach the small hills/bumps in the lawn that you KNOW are going to scalp? I have one account that has a small drainage swail, almost like a berm across the middle of the yard. Even at the highest setting my 44" mower will scalp a little. So, I have been going around it and cutting the top with my 21". It does work, but it takes some extra time to get out to the trailer, walk back, etc. Is there a better way? Should I use the string trimmer since I will be out there with it anyway?
I have a few accounts like that, so I just use my weed eater.

David Haggerty
06-26-2006, 04:56 PM
You have it figured out. Put that added effort into it. Just don't scalp.

Dave

topsites
06-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree with dave, it's always when I try and get out of doing it the hard way that I get in trouble.... Seems to be the hard way is still usually the best.

Should've seen the yard I was on today, it was fit for motocross cycles and I mean it was that bad.
Did the best I could, weedeated the rest.

The only thing that MIGHT work is to slightly lift the deck but you have to be able to ride it down the berm with your deck like 1/2" - 1" higher off the ground than if it was sitting on all 4 tires... By the time you're done with this bit of fancy mowing, it would've been easier to weedeat.

jtkplc
06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Experience which comes from trial and error. Good luck...:clapping:

poonero
06-26-2006, 10:18 PM
how long is the berm and how much is the lawn per cut?

san28734
06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
how long is the berm and how much is the lawn per cut?

Probably 25-30 feet long. It goes up the front at almost a 45 degree angle, the top is about 2 feet wide, then the back side is a gentler slope into a hillside. I charge 35 bucks, good customer and very nice turf.

poonero
06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
i would sell the cust on the idea of making it a landscaped berm.

Runner
06-30-2006, 12:46 PM
See if there is a footpedal attachment available for your decklift on your mower.

san28734
06-30-2006, 03:20 PM
i would sell the cust on the idea of making it a landscaped berm.

Great idea, but there is landscaping on better than half of it, if they finished the whole berm, it would cut their yard in half. I did the other half for them, but that's as far as they wanted to go.

san28734
06-30-2006, 03:23 PM
See if there is a footpedal attachment available for your decklift on your mower.

My Cub has the height adjustment just under the front of the seat. All the way up, it will still scalp some. I tried putting the front wheels on the berm, operating both handles with one hand and creeping up the hill, while pulling the deck up with the other. Quite a trick. If the deck would go an inch higher it would work fine.

poonero
06-30-2006, 10:31 PM
take the guard off your weed eater you can do that berm in 4 min.

ed2hess
06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
take the guard off your weed eater you can do that berm in 4 min.
Amen .....using weedeater is solution to any uneven areas. Sometimes I think our weedeater guys cut more grass than we do with the mowers.