PDA

View Full Version : plastic tank, pump questions

jandjsales
06-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi guys, i'm new here and i see there is alot of controversy about the plastic tote tank and plastic pump set ups. I know plastic tanks and i know pumps, because i have been selling them for over 15 years. I can say for certain the tote tanks are not good for long term use, they are thin and if it wasn't for the steel cage they would bust from the material weight alone. a good quality tank can be bought from your nearest farm store, they are typically a minmum of 1/4" thick, (the tote tanks are about 1/16" thick). the better tank is available in several shapes and sizes and they have UV inhibitors to prevent sun damage, typical warranty is three years, and the good ones will hold a product that weighs about 12-13 pounds per gallon. any plastic is not really intended for petroleum products since the plastic is a petroleum based product and petroleum products will cause the plastic to soften, however i have sold several tanks and i know petroleum products are stored in them with no problems so far (7 plus years). these guys looking for an addition to their other home services want something they can get into cheap to get started, large commercial jobs should be left to the pros with the proper equipment. the pumps are cheap plastic pumps, but you can rebuild that pump for less than $100.00. I went through the same controversy when hydroseeding got big, a mechanicaly agitated hydroseeder would cost about 15 grand and was great for large commercial jobs, but for residential jobs i was building jet agitated rigs for less than 3 grand, my basic hydroseeder used a plastic pump, spraying a solution of mulch, granular fertilizer, seed and water and they worked great.

Thanks, Jeff grant

adam's landscaping
07-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Jeff i would like any information on how you built your machines?

right now im building one
525 gallon tank
6.5hp trash/water pump 3" pump with a 3" suction hose. the pump feeds 2 2" jets and one 1.5" discharge hose reduced down to a 3/4 nozzle

Does it sound like everything will work out with the design?

NPCA
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
As long as you can apply material to manufacturer's specifications that's great. (You can't)
Those rigs can't properly mix the required sand and the optional additives to get a "real" quality sealcoating job.
Much like anyone can buy PVC at any hardware store and start plumbing, but that doesn't make them a plumber. (luckily for consumers real plumbers must have a license)

We just do not think it's fair to give a homeowner inferior work just because they are "only" a homeowner. :nono:

There is plenty of professional sealcoating equipment made for the smaller driveway contractor that is in the range of what the total of a good lawn care set-up would cost by the time you get mower(s), edger, leaf blower or vac, sprayers, trailer, etc. or even less.
What is so strange to us is that people on a forum like this where people would be so foolish as to buy a $4,000 lawn mower or a $250 weed eater (you can get them at Wally World for $798 for the mower -says commercial grade on it, and after all they all cut grass the same - and a weed eater is $69) then balk at spending about the same for sealcoating equipment as they do for their (what would to the uneducated seem very overpriced) lawn care equipment :confused:

Not being argumentative, but it's so incongruous that people here seem very concerned about the "right" way of doing everything when it comes to their lawn/landscaping businesses but pavement sealing is talked about like "the homeowner won't know any better, here's how to do it on the cheap...don't worry about what's best". :confused:

Mdirrigation
07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
To add to that , I bought a factory made 550 unit used 8 years ago , and have about $ 8000.00 in it including purchace price , repairs , and modifications to fit my needs. Thats basically a grand a year . It has made me 20 times that . I sell more work due to its professional appereance , my phone number and license are on the side and it is a good looking piece of equipment .

I look at sealcoaters that run that square tank with a trash pump the same way that lawn guys look at the grass cutter with the homeowner rider strapped onto a homemade trailer with a cardboard sign taped to the stationwagon door " joes cheap mowing"

SprayGIANT
08-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi guys, i'm new here and i see there is alot of controversy about the plastic tote tank and plastic pump set ups. I know plastic tanks and i know pumps, because i have been selling them for over 15 years. I can say for certain the tote tanks are not good for long term use, they are thin and if it wasn't for the steel cage they would bust from the material weight alone. a good quality tank can be bought from your nearest farm store, they are typically a minmum of 1/4" thick, (the tote tanks are about 1/16" thick). the better tank is available in several shapes and sizes and they have UV inhibitors to prevent sun damage, typical warranty is three years, and the good ones will hold a product that weighs about 12-13 pounds per gallon. any plastic is not really intended for petroleum products since the plastic is a petroleum based product and petroleum products will cause the plastic to soften, however i have sold several tanks and i know petroleum products are stored in them with no problems so far (7 plus years). these guys looking for an addition to their other home services want something they can get into cheap to get started, large commercial jobs should be left to the pros with the proper equipment. the pumps are cheap plastic pumps, but you can rebuild that pump for less than $100.00. I went through the same controversy when hydroseeding got big, a mechanicaly agitated hydroseeder would cost about 15 grand and was great for large commercial jobs, but for residential jobs i was building jet agitated rigs for less than 3 grand, my basic hydroseeder used a plastic pump, spraying a solution of mulch, granular fertilizer, seed and water and they worked great.

Thanks, Jeff grant

Totes are commonly used in the shipping industry and they don't "bust open" from the weight of the material that is inside them as you seem to suggest. Totes must meet stringent criteria such as puncture resistance from forklifts, they are dropped tested off loading docks with material inside them and the steel cages around them is an additional protective barrier that other plastic tanks lack and simply do not provide.

Totes are not "thin" Totes are manufactured with puncture resistant, UV and hazardous chemical resistance technologies. Totes incorporate HDPE/EVOH 6 layer security technology which meets specific and well recognized UN and DOT certifications and industry requirements. Many other plastic tanks simply do not measure up to these standards.

Totes are specifically designed, engineered, certified and were originally intended by their original German inventors as a high cycle and long term logistical service and storage solution for the transportation and shipping industry. They are in use by millions of manufacturers across the globe for the distribution of their liquid hazardous and non hazardous based materials every single day. They were and still are specifically engineered to last over a period spanning many years.

Incidentally, the tote manufacturer holds specific certifications which indicate totes are well suited for use with a wide range of petroleum products. This is why many oil companies are using them every single day.

For more information about these and other interesting facts regarding totes, I invite you to visit the tote manufacturers website:

http://www.schuetzdsl.com/schutz/products.phtml#security

My Best.

SprayGIANT
08-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Those rigs can't properly mix the required sand and the optional additives to get a "real" quality sealcoating job.

Please define "properly mixed?"

I can...

In engineering they define the mechanics behind fluid flow agitation is where product viscosity govern the tank agitation process through fluid motion.

Is it becuase it's not the "traditional old school" way of mixing sealer that somehow suggests it's not "properly mixed?"

In addition, sand can be mixed! However, we all know that sand is an abrasive material that will eat up "ANY" manufacturers sealcoating equipment including ours! So I would have to agree that we are not specifically unique in this area except that we are just honest about that fact.

Quality of work depends on equipment used??

The training, experience, ability and background of the individual to perform the work is a direct reflection of the "quality" of the work performed do you not agree with that statement?

To suggest that any particular brand of sealcoating equipment can do quality work over another brand of sealcoating equipment is just a misconception perpetuated in this industry because of the equipment manufacturer competitors. However, I would like to think the quality of any work performed directly involves the individual behind the spray wand, don't you? Much like anyone can buy PVC at any hardware store and start plumbing, but that doesn't make them a plumber. (luckily for consumers real plumbers must have a license)

We are not plumbers, we are seal coaters and last time I checked seal coaters are not required to have a license to perform their work. (although that's not a particularly bad idea either) Better to stick to the facts and topic at hand.We just do not think it's fair to give a homeowner inferior work just because they are "only" a homeowner. :nono:

Agreed and that's precisely why it's so important to focus on educating seal coaters. Their expertise is specifically defined by their abilities to perform the job correctly. The equipment they use is just a tool they use much like a plumber uses a wrench on a pipe. The homeowner doesn't care if the plumber uses a Snap on Wrench vs. a Craftsman Wrench as long as the job is performed with a certain aspect of quality and service involved. There is plenty of professional sealcoating equipment made for the smaller driveway contractor that is in the range of what the total of a good lawn care set-up would cost by the time you get mower(s), edger, leaf blower or vac, sprayers, trailer, etc. or even less.

Are we comparing the cost of lawn care equipment and suggesting it is the same cost as sealcoating equipment? A "good" lawn care set up depends on your perception of "good." Some may perceive this as the most money spent and other may see this as an economical alternative.
What is so strange to us is that people on a forum like this where people would be so foolish as to buy a $4,000 lawn mower or a $250 weed eater (you can get them at Wally World for $798 for the mower -says commercial grade on it, and after all they all cut grass the same - and a weed eater is $69) then balk at spending about the same for sealcoating equipment as they do for their (what would to the uneducated seem very overpriced) lawn care equipment :confused:

I suppose this means they should always go out and spend the most amount of money possible for the same screwdriver? Consumers are smarter than that and they will always seek economic equipment solutions. It's what any savvy small business owner would do. Not being argumentative, but it's so incongruous that people here seem very concerned about the "right" way of doing everything when it comes to their lawn/landscaping businesses but pavement sealing is talked about like "the homeowner won't know any better, here's how to do it on the cheap...don't worry about what's best". :confused:

Not being argumentative either. Just trying to get the facts straight. What seal coaters seem to be perceiving from your suggestion is that the equipment they should choose does all the quality work for them. This is simply not an accurate statement. The quality of the work depends on the individual, their education, experience they have in the business and general know how. A spray wand is a spray wand, a tank is a tank, and a pump is still a pump. The economics involved behind this concept really isn't all that difficult ...really.

My Best.

NPCA
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Your education on totes was wonderful but while totes are fine for transporting materials of various types you cannot make a decent sealer application machine out of one, not you or anybody else.
They cannot apply sealcoat to a basic enough level to defend a sealcoat applicator in a lawsuit from a pavement owner for using sub-standard materials.
To suggest that any particular brand of sealcoating equipment can do quality work over another brand of sealcoating equipment is just a misconception perpetuated in this industry because of the equipment manufacturer competitors.
What a ridiculous statement.
You can of course do bad work with a good machine, so certainly the operator is all-important.
However no matter how good the operator; tote-type equipment with trash pumps will not even apply sealer to any sealer's product specifications.

It is better compared to selliing a sealcoater a old-fashioned $10 watering can like grandma's and advertising it:
"Economy, all-purpose fertilizer, insecticide, applicator. Only $99.
Why buy a bunch of over-priced equipment when our applicator does a great job of applying all lawn chemicals and hydro-seeding!
NOW Add highly-profitable lawn care services to your sealcoating business with our wonder econo-applicator!

That's why (part-timers take note) you NEVER see ANY tote-type machines advertised in sealcoating or asphalt trade magazines or exhibited at any pavement-related trade shows.
The publishers/promoters would be glad to sell them ads or booth space, but the companies that sell totes know that nobody actually "in the business" would ever buy them.

An accurate comparison indeed. :laugh:

NealMfg
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
well I am going to disagree with much of what spray giant said in his last post ,,
I happen to have a few newspaper articles where them plastic "tote" tanks
are busting and pouring sealer all over the highways..with there owners getting rather large fines as well....they are not designed for seal coating and the work load and the abuse seal coating equipment takes....

and as for the equipment not playing a roll in a quality job I don't think that is true at all.....you must have good equipment to apply the sealer at the proper p.s.i to force the sealer into the porous asphalt.It cant just lay on top.
you have to have good equipment to spray the proper sand loads that most municipalities require on a job. good equip plays a huge roll in making your business a success. To get your job done fast and efficiently to move on to the next job...You Must Have GOOD equipment. You need equipment that was designed and manufactured for seal coating. plastic tanks and air diaphragm pumps and trash pumps. are not designed for seal coating.

these are the facts.

SprayGIANT
08-03-2007, 06:28 PM
well I am going to disagree with much of what spray giant said in his last post ,,
I happen to have a few newspaper articles where them plastic "tote" tanks
are busting and pouring sealer all over the highways..with there owners getting rather large fines as well....they are not designed for seal coating and the work load and the abuse seal coating equipment takes...

Similarly I can provide many newspaper articles and historical accounts where steel sealcoating tanks have busted at their poorly welded or rusted seams spilling sealer all over the highways.

Steel tanks often leak at their agitator shaft seals spilling sealer behind them onto passing motorists vehicles when they travel down the highways. ...What's the point of your statement exactly? Are you suggesting steel tanks are somehow immune to this occurring? For example, does your statement suggest steel tanks are certified by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and plastic totes ones are not? Last time I checked, I thought it was the other way around for some reason.

and as for the equipment not playing a roll in a quality job I don't think that is true at all.....you must have good equipment to apply the sealer at the proper p.s.i to force the sealer into the porous asphalt.

It cant just lay on top.

So you are suggesting you should spray sealer "into the asphalt" and not on "top of the asphalt?" .......Seriously? :)

Also, do you know that "more" psi is not "better" for sealcoating application?

This is because you don't want sealcoating particles to atomize from the spray wand and travel into the air travel onto surrounding sidewalks, garage doors and parked vehicles while it's being applied. In order to achieve the proper film thickness you must actually lower your PSI to achieve adequate coverage, not increase it. Lowering your PSI achieves the correct film thickness necessary for protecting the asphalt. Sheesh and here I was thinking this was common knowledge.

you have to have good equipment to spray the proper sand loads that most municipalities require on a job. good equip plays a huge roll in making your business a success.

This is yet another generalized statement and perpetuated myth. Using terms like "proper equipment", "good equipment" etc. says very little.

Of course seal coaters should have "good equipment" to do any sealcoating job. However, in my earlier post I accurately indicated that your equipment is not the only and final conclusion involving quality work. Believe it or not, the actual knowledge of the individual holding the spray wand does play a large part in this equation.

Also, you CAN in fact use this particular equipment with high sand loads. We prefer not to recommend it, however that doesn't make it impossible either.

"ALL" equipment "sandbars" regardless of the equipment used. No one can make any such claim that one tank does accumulate sand and another tank does not. That is simply not true as ALL tanks accumulate sand over time.

Regular equipment maintenance plays a large part in preventing problems and how sand should affect the operation of the users equipment. It's not dependent on the the tanks they are using. Remember, we should be discussing the actual science and facts behind the equipment and application process involved, not just express our personal opinions based on emotion.

To get your job done fast and efficiently to move on to the next job...You Must Have GOOD equipment. You need equipment that was designed and manufactured for seal coating.

Agreed and this "Good" equipment generalization thing is really getting old. "Good" equipment in our case translates to mean that it was specifically engineered, designed for the sealcoating application process in the real world. Seal coaters should always consider "GOOD" equipment as something that was specifically engineered to repair on the fly right on the job site in the event of any equipment issues they experience if necessary. This is because of the reality that "All" sealcoating equipment is prone to equipment issues from time to time. Speed, efficiency and the ability to continue servicing your customers is precisely why this sealcoating equipment was originally designed in the first place. It was specifically NOT designed with hard to find and specialized replacement parts that are prone to failure at the job site like shaft bearings that are made somewhere in Germany, custom made seals, specialized agitator blades and shafts that must be removed and sent out for replacement or repair. I just can't help but wonder how much down time is experienced by any seal coater when their tank bearings break or when their shaft bends in their tanks before they can get a replacement. When exactly will they start servicing their customers once again? ....Days? Weeks?

"Good" equipment means that seal coaters should be up and running in the shortest amount of time possible when faced with any equipment issues. No equipment is immune to any failures on the job site. That's just yet another perpetuated myth in this industry. The bottom line is that "ALL Equipment" is prone to failures on the job site and this is precisely why this particular equipment was specifically designed to use commonly available replacement parts. Doing this achieves the final result of eliminating downtime at the job site if the overall intention is to continue servicing their customers. I fully agree with you in the fact that equipment down time costs seal coaters time, money AND customers!

plastic tanks and air diaphragm pumps and trash pumps. are not designed for seal coating.

Say's who? You? Can you explain why exactly? I think to suggest this is a bit of a stretch considering the sheer number of individuals who have been successfully using the specific equipment you have mentioned right now as we speak. They have been using it for many years and if it doesn't work, then why do so many seal coaters continue using it? Hmmmm....

Perhaps, you can provide us some scientific insight accurately describing why any such equipment wouldn't work, when these same people continue using it? Be sure to explain the solid foundation and accurate science behind fluid motion and liquid transfer for the rest of us so we might all understand?

I'm sorry, but simply implying "they don't work" just doesn't cut it.

these are the facts.

All I have noted so far is personal opinion and perpetuated generalizations provided without any scientific basis to back it up. I fully realize you may be an equipment competitor that lacks any understanding of the science behind how this equipment should function. Of course you are not in anyway going to endorse this equipment, I wouldn't in a million years expect that. However, I feel it's important that customers understand and are told the truth behind how things should work. That's why I am here providing them with these important facts and details and why I am not providing them with any generalized and perpetuated fiction.

Kind Regards.

SprayGIANT
08-03-2007, 06:56 PM
That's why (part-timers take note) you NEVER see ANY tote-type machines advertised in sealcoating or asphalt trade magazines or exhibited at any pavement-related trade shows.
The publishers/promoters would be glad to sell them ads or booth space, but the companies that sell totes know that nobody actually "in the business" would ever buy them.

An accurate comparison indeed. :laugh:

Yet, strangely, they have been advertised in trade magazines ??

In fact they have been demonstrated at trade shows (I was there) and 100's of them are in use every single day and they have been for many years now...

I know you dont "like" the equipment and that is your choice but please try sticking with the facts and try not speaking on behalf of publishers and promoters that you are clearly not in touch with.

Kind Regards.

NealMfg
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey spray giant ,

Im not trying to start a debate but the facts are yes they advertise them ,yes they are in trade shows ,and yes they do work with "limited" capabilities, and no they were not designed for seal coating.They are all purpose pumps that can not live up to most of the industries standards.such as pressure and sand loads.and contractor standards such as speed and efficiency.

NPCA
08-04-2007, 11:04 AM
To Neal; please excuse us they were invisible. But you were out of business under a non-compete for 5 years that we didn't see you there either (thousands of Neal owners are delighted you are back-good to see you again) but we have (of the 4 directors asked from all areas of the USA ) never seen them advertised in Pavement (the leading magazine for sealcoaters) or at the National Pavement Exhibitions either east or west coast (again the ONLY major trade shows for the sealcoating industry) unless they did one of those coat-tail "shows" by setting up on a nearby parking lot as you know people do at many Expo's. We are well acquainted with the company who produces both of these shows as well as the staff of the magazine.

The "main sticking point" for "tote" units with trash pumps as applicators is that without some form of power agitation (either hand crank or hydraulic, (and we endorse NO brands or manufacturers period) there is no way to properly mix sealcoating materials to manufacturer's specifications as set by the PTCT (coal tar mfg. association) or the ASMA (asphalt sealer mfg. association). They are the independent associations that set the standards of "acceptable" practices and methods of application for the industry.

Many people do use the tote set ups like these to carry concentrated materials to the job sites to increase the capacity of their mixing/application units on the job. They are well suited for that, just not for actually applying sealer to the pavement, whether yours or the 3 or 4 other sites with different "brands" that all have the same exact photos of their "tote" equipment, strangely at widely varying prices from $799 to over $1,000 for the same photo :confused:

There has been much negative discussion on these units on our forums over the years and numerous offers have been made for any of the manufacturers or resellers of these units to actually prove us or our forum participants wrong. Nobody has ever accepted the offer.

As an association our purposes and policies are very clear. We endorse no products or manufacturers of any kind. We do have some advertisers on our forums similar to here, but that is just that, paid advertisement).
We do have a problem with ANY "get rich quick" "business in a box" scheme to sell those unknowledgeable about the sealcoating industry inferior products that will not do "standard" work for customers while claiming they will.
The contractors who buy these units either don't know or don't care and the people who hire contractors who use these units likewise don't care or are being "fooled" into thinking they are getting professional quality work.

NealMfg
08-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks npca,
it is a pleasure to be back,unfortunatly when we sold to the larger company things were not handeled the way we saw fit with our people. So we said " not going to let our contractors suffer or struggle for parts and service, lets go take care of our guys " so here we are .

Yes I understand which tank your talking about and your absolutly right.
But there is another plastic tank out there who advertises quit a bit and goes to the shows. Im sure you know which one im speaking of. And there just not right for sealcoating in my point of view.

have a wonderful day....
Its beautiful in Ga. today I need to get out of the office and go rub some sunshine on my face ...lol

NealMfg/SalesMgr
08-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Ive seen so much comentary on this subject. I am a simple person so lets have a simple answer to this question. Use of the plastic tank should be monitored closely you should only have small jobs in mind and not plan on being in the business full time.
Contrary to what most people are going to say this business is not Rocket Science. After a very short time most people with half a brain can get very good at this. With that said, not all people have 13 to 20k to invest in this business. It also takes some time to establish your business and to establish it takes time and smaller jobs. Thats why the plastic tank people have a job. I have nothing against that because they provide a low cost piece of equipment for the contractor that normally wouldnt have the cash or credit to get into the business otherwise.
If you are going to get a plastic tank. Several rules will apply, you must follow these rules to be a success.

1. Try not to let material sit in tank. Get enough material for the job empty and clean tank after every use. if material sits it will settle out of supension and be very difficult to get your pump going if at all!!
2. Save yr money and pinch pennies every dollar counts when you are starting up. Just because you get a big paycheck dosent mean you are making money!!!
3. Use of any abrasive products such as Sand should not be practiced. In leau of sand maybe a little extra latex but not to much as the thickness of the material could cause you a problem with the pump. Broadcast some sand after material is sprayed.
4. Dont fill the tank up completely if at all possibe the weight of the sealer is not like the weight of water which was probably what was used to test these tanks. Sealer weighs 10 to 12 lbs per gallon, water weights about 3 to 4 lbs per gallon. Hauling sealer is much like hauling cement prepare for those kind of weight conditions.
5. Dont plan to use a plastic tank long term plan to upgrade within a year!!! If you cant upgrade within a year or maybe 2 get out of the business its not for you!!!

NealMfg/SalesMgr
08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Just got a call from my last post. This person was under the impression that I reccomend this plastic tank. I am in no way recommending these systems. I wouldnt even consider it a machine. I was simply giving advise to the person that will buy this unit anyway.

Truth is this tank will not allow you to get even close to putting down the material spec that you would need to do a commercial job. Please do not mis understand the advise that I gave.

Thanks
Eric Humphries

SprayGIANT
08-07-2007, 03:48 AM
There has been much negative discussion on these units on our forums over the years and numerous offers have been made for any of the manufacturers or resellers of these units to actually prove us or our forum participants wrong. Nobody has ever accepted the offer.

As an association our purposes and policies are very clear. We endorse no products or manufacturers of any kind. We do have some advertisers on our forums similar to here, but that is just that, paid advertisement).
We do have a problem with ANY "get rich quick" "business in a box" scheme to sell those unknowledgeable about the sealcoating industry inferior products that will not do "standard" work for customers while claiming they will.

I can't speak for all sealcoaters but all I can suggest to you is that if anyone is using the equipment and are looking for a "quick buck" sealcoating driveways and parking lots, then perhaps they are not sealcoating the correct avenue or asphalt parking lot on the road to their riches?

Make no mistake about it, sealcoating is hard work and just like any other business endeavor, it WILL take an investment in time, equipment, dedication, personal education and a level of personal experience. In fact, this is precisely the message we have always provided them since the very beginning. Nothing has changed in this respect and we make no claim there are any magic formula's for success involved with this process. People should know exactly what to expect and what not to expect long before they should ever get the equipment shipped to their front door.

So yes..., I would have to say they become quite "knowledgeable." In fact, with all the educational materials and friendly advice we provide them, it would only seem reasonable to conclude that our intention is clear in the fact that we would only want them to become knowledgeable in this business and when using this application equipment.

On another note and as an industry manufacturer we do not recognize the NPCA organization. This is because they claim they do not represent industry manufacturers.

I admit, I am a bit confused why an organization which claims they do not represent any industry manufacturers would offer any open invitation for us to participate and represent our product on the NPCA website?

Wouldn't such an extended invitation offered to an industry manufacturer, be viewed as an endorsement of a specific industry manufacturers product on the NPCA site?

It's probably in the best interests of the NPCA organization if I should choose the path of respectfully declining your offer to represent and speak about cost effective plastic application equipment on the NPCA website for the reasons I have outlined above.

However, I am most willing to offer my personal time, friendly tips, informative facts, honest advice and free assistance for the benefit of the readers in this message forum as time permits.

I trust this meets with your satisfaction.

My Best.

NPCA
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Please give us a break. Your own site shows these whopping profit margins where "This would include cost of consumable's, i.e. Sealant, Tape, etc.." cost is 3 cents a foot. You can't buy sealer is most parts of the USA for less than 3.5-4+ cents and that's before insurance, gas, those "consumables" you mention, telephone, advertising, that's ONLY sealer before sand & additives (oops, your totes won't mix sand & additives) .

Kind of strange to say you don't say "quick buck" when you so grossly distort the business to the point of using a time for sealing a drive (illustrating how much money somebody can make) of 10 minutes showing how to make $97.50 every 10 minutes, when it actually will take longer to edge & clean it than that!
If $585.00 per hour isn't a "quick buck" pardon us :confused:

You also mis-state our offers to you and the company that your web site pictures are from (http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/MVC-002F.JPG)(who used to sell the same machine in the same photo for 1/2 your site's price, now it's only $600 less :confused: )
Wouldn't such an extended invitation offered to an industry manufacturer, be viewed as an endorsement of a specific industry manufacturers product on the NPCA site?

That's no endosement; we said if you can prove us wrong and the company who makes the machine pictured on your web site would demonstrate the "tote" and apply sealcoating materials to PCTC or ASMA specifications (the industry standards for commercial sealcoating) we would "eat our hat" by not only retracting everything "negative" we ever said or any person has ever posted over the years on our forums, but by also even giving the machine an advertisement as an apology and "eating our words.(And like this forum we do offer paid advertisements on our forums)

Of course you are as free as anyone to give helpful tips here if you wish and the forum owners are happy but we hope for their sake people reading your advice will compare the distortions on your site & posts here before they take the "tips".

Mdirrigation
08-07-2007, 03:36 PM
My questions to spray giant . What exactly are the DOT specs on this container . Is this container designed as a transport vessel , AND a mixing chamber. I also notice that the fittings connecting the hoses to the tank are plastic and that the trash pump isnt attached , but loose . Couldnt this cause the plastic fittings to fail. Does the manufacturer of the container recommend its use as mixing chamber.

NealMfg
08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
the tank is not designed for mixing or sealer from what I understand it is a water storage tank.

shepoutside
08-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Plastic tanks are not allowed for transport in Ontario, and most of Cananda for sealer. :nono:

SprayGIANT
08-13-2007, 03:41 AM
My questions to spray giant . What exactly are the DOT specs on this container . Is this container designed as a transport vessel , AND a mixing chamber. I also notice that the fittings connecting the hoses to the tank are plastic and that the trash pump isnt attached , but loose . Couldnt this cause the plastic fittings to fail. Does the manufacturer of the container recommend its use as mixing chamber.

The hoses are secured using 2" camlock fittings just like any other sealcoating rig would use. The pump and tank are to be bolted down and secured to your vehicle or trailer just like any other sealcoating rig. This information is covered in the user manual.

The fittings are typically manufactured by Banjo. A well recognized name in this industry as far as hose fittings are concerned. Yes, I understand they are made from plastic and plastic tends to resist pitting from abrasive materials better than steel fittings do because it exhibits a certain amount of flexibility that steel does not. I am not clear why you bring this point up considering that it is not at all unusual to use these same exact hoses and fittings on many high dollar rigs and thier failure rate is not specifically dependant on the tanks they are used with.

The container is specifically designed as a transport vessel meeting specific UN and DOT requirements for that intended purpose. While the tank is typically used as an approved transportation container, I have found no specific documentation to support or suggest the manufacturer does not specifically recommend this tank may not be used as a mixing chamber either.

Mixing product inside a tank places far less stresses on a tank than transporting them does. These are designed for many years of service in a highly stressful transportation enviroment so unless you are moving it all over the country on a transport truck, why would using it in a local community on a sealcoating trailer be considered as particularly stressful to the equipment?

Hope that helps answer your questions.

My Best.

SprayGIANT
08-13-2007, 03:46 AM
Plastic tanks are not allowed for transport in Ontario, and most of Cananda for sealer. :nono:

Please quote your source indicating this information.

I have shipped these DOT approved plastic tanks with many different products inside them "including sealer" to Canada on many occasions.

Unless you can provide a specific source for this information you are claiming, I doubt you are providing accurate information for the readers of this forum.

My Best.

SprayGIANT
08-13-2007, 03:56 AM
the tank is not designed for mixing or sealer from what I understand it is a water storage tank.

How would you know what the intended equipment design is for?

Does you comment suggest you or your company has designed this equipment for the sealcoating industry?

If not, then I suspect you really cannot comment on this equipment design now can you?

It only makes sense that you have very little understanding of the engineering or various aspects behind how this economical but yet effective equipment functions.

Do you own one?

Have you ever used one?

Do you know the costs associated with operating a high dollar machines vs. this equipment?

Do you understand the few tradeoff's for the many benefits gained?

Kind Regards.

SprayGIANT
08-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Please give us a break. Your own site shows these whopping profit margins where "This would include cost of consumable's, i.e. Sealant, Tape, etc.." cost is 3 cents a foot. You can't buy sealer is most parts of the USA for less than 3.5-4+ cents and that's before insurance, gas, those "consumables" you mention, telephone, advertising, that's ONLY sealer before sand & additives (oops, your totes won't mix sand & additives) .

Kind of strange to say you don't say "quick buck" when you so grossly distort the business to the point of using a time for sealing a drive (illustrating how much money somebody can make) of 10 minutes showing how to make $97.50 every 10 minutes, when it actually will take longer to edge & clean it than that!
If $585.00 per hour isn't a "quick buck" pardon us :confused:

You also mis-state our offers to you and the company that your web site pictures are from (http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/MVC-002F.JPG)(who used to sell the same machine in the same photo for 1/2 your site's price, now it's only $600 less :confused: )

That's no endosement; we said if you can prove us wrong and the company who makes the machine pictured on your web site would demonstrate the "tote" and apply sealcoating materials to PCTC or ASMA specifications (the industry standards for commercial sealcoating) we would "eat our hat" by not only retracting everything "negative" we ever said or any person has ever posted over the years on our forums, but by also even giving the machine an advertisement as an apology and "eating our words.(And like this forum we do offer paid advertisements on our forums)

Of course you are as free as anyone to give helpful tips here if you wish and the forum owners are happy but we hope for their sake people reading your advice will compare the distortions on your site & posts here before they take the "tips".

Well thank you and with your expressed permission I will continue to provide helpful tips to consumers on this website.

Again we have never made any such claim this is some sort of get rich quick scheme. It's simply affordable and economical equipment that gets the job done.

We have provided "realistic" examples of how an individual could make money using this equipment that's all.

Here is "our" example.

An average 2 car driveway is 1,500 square feet (25 foot wide and 60 foot long).

(True or false?)

25' x 60' = 1,500 sq. ft.

(True or false?)

1,500 sq. ft. x .095 cents (9½ cents per sq. ft.) = $142.50 (total price)
1,500 sq. ft. x .03 cents (3 cents per sq. ft.) = $45.00 (cost of materials)
$142.50 (total price of job) minus $45.00 (cost of materials) = $97.50
$97.50 x 10 (2 driveways a day, 5 times a week) = $975.00
$975.00 (net per week) x 20 (20 weeks in the season) = $19,500.00

(True or false?)

Approximate time needed per driveway for one person (includes preparation and sealing):

1,500 sq. ft. or less 1hr. 10 min. - (True or False?)

I invite you to review the above information provided in clearer detail to compare with your distorted posting.

You will quickly note our information does not attempt to suggest anything in terms of "getting rich quick" nor is it considered as "whopping profits" "AFTER" paying the bills etc. in any way as you seem to be suggesting.

I suspect the readers can decide for themselves if that information provided is reasonable or not reasonable. ...Period!

The intention behind the information provided is a ballpark figure that everyone can associate and work with. It's apparently obvious that an individuals direct "experience" typically translates to mean they "could" work better and much faster and lesser experienced individuals would work slower to achieve that result.

Oh, and you really need to get your facts straight before spreading the unfounded speculation that everyone who uses these same photographs are somehow all joined at the same hip which is not true either.

Unfortunately, the only "distortions" exhibited here seem to be in your own postings. I suspect the readers are smart enough to figure it all out on thier own and will eventually decide what the NPCA is all about for themselves.

Kind Regards.

SprayGIANT
08-13-2007, 05:57 AM
:confused: )

That's no endosement; we said if you can prove us wrong and the company who makes the machine pictured on your web site .

Well, perhaps the NPCA is not aware of the fact that every aspect of this economical application equipment is individually inspected, professionally packaged and shipped to our customers directly from our own manufacturing facility.

So what exactly do you mean by "the company who makes the machine pictured on your website?"

We have nothing to prove to anyone including the NPCA. The many satisfied customers using this equipment right now as we speak are only be happy to express thier satisfaction with this equipment.

I have had very few problems or complaints considering the 100's that were sold. I have always honored my customers special requests and resolved any issues they might have experienced right away. Why not go ahead and just ask them for yourself!

Otherwise, why would anyone possibly bother manufacturing and keep shipping this equipment to customers if the equipment didn't perform or do the job to the customers satisfaction and expectations in the first place?

Sometimes, you just have to see through the display of smoke and mirrors some people post on the internet and resort to using your own plain common sense in some cases.

Kind Regards.

NPCA
08-14-2007, 02:09 AM
We meant either you and/or the ones used in your photos here. (http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/sealcoat-rig.html) (second from the top).
Isn't it "smoke and mirrors" to use someone else's photos? Or is there more to the story than meets the eye?

PROCUT1
08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Heres a hint for anyone who wants one of these.

They have all the components including the pump, tank, fittings, and hoses at your local Tractor Supply store.

The pump is under 300, you can get those tanks in the want ads for 50 and another 150 for hoses and fittings.

You can build your own in half an hour for about 500.

Now we just need that Judd Burdon guy to come back and try to sell the same exact thing for 3 grand like he was.

SprayGIANT
08-20-2007, 03:36 AM
We meant either you and/or the ones used in your photos here. (http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/sealcoat-rig.html) (second from the top).
Isn't it "smoke and mirrors" to use someone else's photos? Or is there more to the story than meets the eye?

Yes there is actually more than meets the eye.. I admit, It's a bit complicated since I was employed for that company at one time. What the heck do you want to know exactly? Do you think this is some sort of scam going on or something? You do realize people have the option of changing employers from time to time don't you? Is that a scam or something? I have been nothing but honest and straightforward here so far. I have nothing to do with Judd Burton, never have, never will.

You do realize you are bordering on harassment don't you?

My Best.

SprayGIANT
08-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Heres a hint for anyone who wants one of these.

They have all the components including the pump, tank, fittings, and hoses at your local Tractor Supply store.

The pump is under 300, you can get those tanks in the want ads for 50 and another 150 for hoses and fittings.

You can build your own in half an hour for about 500.

Now we just need that Judd Burdon guy to come back and try to sell the same exact thing for 3 grand like he was.

:) ..And when you finally realize you can't "do it on the cheap" be sure and ask us how we manage to buy in bulk quantities to help save you money.

I can make my own bio diesel fuel too, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will save me time and money. Good luck!

My Best

SprayGIANT
08-20-2007, 03:57 AM

Incidentally, they are "MY" photo's..

You might want to research the legality behind that concept a little bit... :)

My Best

PROCUT1
08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
:) ..And when you finally realize you can't "do it on the cheap" be sure and ask us how we manage to buy in bulk quantities to help save you money.

I can make my own bio diesel fuel too, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will save me time and money. Good luck!

My Best

Youre talking to someone who knows what theyre doing. I bought one of those business in a box things from starseal when i first started.

I still have it as a matter of fact.

At tractor supply you can buy

The EXACT PACER PUMP
THE EXACT BANJO FITTINGS
THE EXACT HOSES
THE EXACT TOTES

ALL AT A SIGNIFICANT SAVINGS.

So what am I saying thats not true?

I use those for transfer tanks and have built many and continue to do so.

Add gas and oil to the pump

Screw a 2fittings to the pump and one to the tank.

Connect the hoses

Add the T-Fitting and the strainer screen

Hook a wand hose to the T-fitting with a ball valve

Screw your tip on and start spraying.

I can put one of those "systems" together in under 10 minutes with my eyes closed.

Why not just be honest and state what these things are.

You can put a skid steer on a trailer and pull it behind an F-150 and it will kinda work for a little while. You can also hook it to an F-550 dump and pull it all day every day with a truck thats designed to do so.

Would you say that the F-150 and the F-550 are 100% comparable trucks? Of course not.

You just make it sound like when we buy a REAL sealcoating machine, that we're getting ripped off because your $900 plastic tote is comparable.

PROCUT1
08-20-2007, 02:54 PM

My Best

Youre talking to someone who knows what theyre doing. I bought one of those business in a box things from starseal when i first started.

The EXACT PACER PUMP
THE EXACT BANJO FITTINGS
THE EXACT HOSES
THE EXACT TOTES

Connect the hoses

I can put one of those "systems" together in under 10 minutes with my eyes closed.

You can put a skid steer on a trailer and pull it behind an F-150 and it will kinda work for a little while. You can also hook it to an F-550 dump and pull it all day every day with a truck thats designed to do so.

Would you say that the F-150 and the F-550 are 100% comparable trucks? Of course not.

You just make it sound like when we buy a REAL sealcoating machine, that we're getting ripped off because your $900 plastic tote is comparable.

People would respect you a lot more if you advertised your thing the way it should be.....

When I first got into sealcoating, I had no idea what the demand would be and how much I would be doing.

Before I went out and spent $10,000 on a machine, I bought one of those tote and pump things, to get me started. I used it for a little while while I got my feet wet figureing if the business didnt take off, the most I was out was under a thousand dollars.

It worked great for that purpose. Once the business took off, I said, now I gotta get a real machine.

Sell it as just what it is....A cheap way to experiment in the sealcoat business before you spend the money to buy REAL equipment.

I did it...I dont regret buying it....But dont tell me that I can do the work that Im doing now with that thing.

shepoutside
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM

I have shipped these DOT approved plastic tanks with many different products inside them "including sealer" to Canada on many occasions.

Unless you can provide a specific source for this information you are claiming, I doubt you are providing accurate information for the readers of this forum.

My Best.

Sure :) Goverment of Canada, the permits we are required to have, and the conditions.......

CONDITIONS

This Permit for an Equivalent Level of Safety authorizes xxxxxxxxxxx conducting business as Precision Sealing to handle, offer for transport and transport by road vehicle or by ship on a domestic voyage, dangerous goods that are TARS, LIQUID, including road asphalt and oils, bitumen and cut backs, UN1999, Class 3, Packing Groups II or III, in a manner that does not comply with subsection 5.12(1) of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations, when the means of containment has a capacity equal to or less than 450 L, if: Le présent permis de niveau équivalent de sécurité autorise Matt Cahill faisant affaire sous le nom et la raison sociale de Precision Sealing à manutentionner, à demander de transporter et à transporter par véhicule routier ou par navire à l’intérieur du pays, des marchandises dangereuses qui sont des GOUDRONS LIQUIDES, y compris les liants routiers et les cut backs bitumineux, UN1999, classe 3, groupe d'emballage II ou III, d'une manière qui n'est pas conforme aux paragraphe 5.12(1) du Règlement sur le transport des marchandises dangereuses, dans un contenant d’une capacité égale ou inférieure à 450 L, si :

Issue Date / Date d’émission : April 26, 2006 / le 26 avril 2006

Permit for Equivalent Level of SafetySU 8938 Permis de niveau équivalent de sécuritéSU 8938

CONDITIONS

(a) the tanks are welded metal tanks;(b) the tanks are used for the application of liquid tar to pavement or to concrete or metallic structures and are fitted with the application equipment for that purpose;(c) the tanks are designed, constructed, filled, closed, secured and maintained so that under normal conditions of transport, including handling, there will be no accidental release of dangerous goods that could endanger public safety;(d) the permit number “TC - SU 8938” is visibly and legibly marked on each means of containment with each character at least 50 mm high; and(e) a copy of this permit is carried in the vehicle cab. a) les contenants sont des citernes en métal soudées;b) les citernes sont utilisées pour l’application de goudron liquide pour revêtement, structures en béton ou structures métalliques et s’ajustent à l’équipement conçu à cette fin;c) les citernes sont conçues, construites, remplies, arrimées et entretenues de façon à empêcher, dans des conditions normales de transport, y compris la manutention, tout rejet accidentel de marchandises dangereuses qui pourrait présenter un danger pour la sécurité publique;d) chaque contenant est visiblement et lisiblement marqué du numéro de permis « TC - SU 8938 » avec des caractères ayant au moins 50 mm de hauteur;e) une copie de ce permis est conservée dans la cabine du véhicule.

Note: The issuance of this Permit for Equivalent Level of Safety in no way reduces the permit holder's responsibility to comply with any other requirements of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations not specifically addressed in this Permit. Note : Le présent permis de niveau équivalent de sécurité n’exempte en aucune façon le détenteur de l’observation des autres exigences du Règlement sur le transport des marchandises dangereuses qui ne sont pas explicitement citées dans ce permis.

NJWashingGuy
09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I am building my own business in a box, contrary to the recommendations of those who sell them for a living. I would like input from those who have made their own. It appears that I need to keep a 2 inch feed from the source to the pump, which I understand and have plumbed already. Out of the top of the pump which is 2 inch also, I would like to know the reductions and where and what inside diameter hose is used for the spray side. I would also like to use a trigger gun set up instead of the ball valve at the spray wand ( I am used to them from powerwashing). Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
Also, is it better to have a basket strainer at the top going back into your tank, or inline with the spray hose?? Any help is again appreciated.
Like Procut1 I see no reason to make others rich when I can build the SAME thing for 1/3rd of the $$$$!!!

lsantos234
09-29-2007, 12:18 AM
yo njwashingguy i am interested in the same thing.if it is not a bother,would you mind helping me design one? i am seriously thinking of making my own too cause it does not seem hard to put together. i just don't know what size motor and, like you said,want a trigger not a valve.what size tank are you using?

NJWashingGuy
09-29-2007, 01:05 AM
On hold till spring, no reason now, season is almost over. Tractor Supply Company has it all 5.5hp motor, all fittings, need a wand about 600 will do it. They have plastic tanks too if you want to use one

lsantos234
09-29-2007, 01:10 AM
thanks! have you found a trigger set-up? i am not liking the valve set-up on the ones i saw(asphalt kingdom's and seal-rites).

NJWashingGuy
09-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Probably powerwashing wand style, not sure if the pipe diameter is big enough, maybe someone else can chime in ........

lsantos234
09-30-2007, 07:36 PM

The EXACT PACER PUMP
THE EXACT BANJO FITTINGS
THE EXACT HOSES
THE EXACT TOTES

Connect the hoses

People would respect you a lot more if you advertised your thing the way it should be.....

When I first got into sealcoating, I had no idea what the demand would be and how much I would be doing.

Before I went out and spent $10,000 on a machine, I bought one of those tote and pump things, to get me started. I used it for a little while while I got my feet wet figureing if the business didnt take off, the most I was out was under a thousand dollars.

It worked great for that purpose. Once the business took off, I said, now I gotta get a real machine.

Sell it as just what it is....A cheap way to experiment in the sealcoat business before you spend the money to buy REAL equipment.

I did it...I dont regret buying it....But dont tell me that I can do the work that Im doing now with that thing.

could you give me a patrs list so i can make my own 100 gallon steel tank sprayer with 100ft of spray hose as to what size motor(and brand of motor) and pump(type) and whatever needed to make it recirculate the contents.thanks in advance for any help you could give since i am just tryin to save a buck till i get my feet wet.

Flyer123
10-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I was so happy to come across this post. Getting into the business in the spring and I will be going with a starter equipment with a TOTE --- and see how that works.

skeens
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Spray Giant,
At this point I will not debate the validity or usefulness of your sealcoating equipment. However, I do have some observations and would like an answer to the following concerns:

Previously you stated:

"Similarly I can provide many newspaper articles and historical accounts where steel sealcoating tanks have busted at their poorly welded or rusted seams spilling sealer all over the highways."

I would like to know the circumstances and see those articles, or at least references to where they can be found so I can research this myself.

Also, I viewed your website. The photos look eerily similar to other photos on other sites I've seen as well. Coincidence? Nevertheless, I am curious to know if you would accept liability in the event the tank pictured on the trailer were to fall from that trailer either during a sudden stop, accident, etc. It appears that the tank is not properly secured, and if it is secured (which is hard to tell) it seems that the tank would shift easily. What would prevent it from leaving the trailer at a high rate of speed, becoming a missle aimed at some unsuspecting pedestrian or passing motorist?

I'll be anxious to see your reply.

SealCoatPlus
07-25-2008, 05:50 PM
dont go cheep on hose lot of money to clean up burst hose

blacktop
07-25-2008, 10:20 PM

My Best.

Your both right in a way, Plastic totes ok for international or national shipping companies in Canada and the States but in Canada for a sealing companies transporting plastic totes is illegal:nono: it must be metal and you must have a permit from Transport Canada to transport and refill.

blacktop
07-25-2008, 10:29 PM
I was so happy to come across this post. Getting into the business in the spring and I will be going with a starter equipment with a TOTE --- and see how that works.

Flyer123,
who is filling your plastic tote. I called around the gta when I started and all suppiers said no to fill a plastic tank.

Pro-Tect
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
There should be NO ONE in Canada filling plastic tanks with the oil based cut back type of sealer. It is against the law to ship it as well in plastic tanks. I can only speak for Canada on this and do not know the regulations for the U.S.

ORRUG2K
08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
I can ship you totes for 100 bucks plus shipping.

kids
08-25-2008, 12:30 AM
i own a spraygiant tank setup ..it work perfect i have had no problems with tank or pump ..i use 500 to 700 gallons a weekend and never had any problems ..yhe pump is very strong for sealcoating ,,i have more problems with the oil/water mix i get from the vender then anything else ..great product.....

Hanoverfiste
09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
This Permit for an Equivalent Level of Safety authorizes xxxxxxxxxxx conducting business as Precision Sealing to handle, offer for transport and transport by road vehicle or by ship on a domestic voyage, dangerous goods that are TARS, LIQUID, including road asphalt and oils, bitumen and cut backs, UN1999, Class 3, Packing Groups II or III, in a manner that does not comply with subsection 5.12(1) of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations, when the means of containment has a capacity equal to or less than 450 L, if: Le présent permis de niveau équivalent de sécurité autorise Matt Cahill faisant affaire sous le nom et la raison sociale de Precision Sealing à manutentionner, à demander de transporter et à transporter par véhicule routier ou par navire à l’intérieur du pays, des marchandises dangereuses qui sont des GOUDRONS LIQUIDES, y compris les liants routiers et les cut backs bitumineux, UN1999, classe 3, groupe d'emballage II ou III, d'une manière qui n'est pas conforme aux paragraphe 5.12(1) du Règlement sur le transport des marchandises dangereuses, dans un contenant d’une capacité égale ou inférieure à 450 L, si :

the totes are 225 gallons, does the above Law mean that if the tank is larger than 450L The condition doesnt have to be met, as per the metal tank?

Hanoverfiste
09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I found this site out about 4 weeks too late, and am now in the process of getting myself a round tank, going to use a hydraulic tank from a transport.
I purchases a tote, empty.. Ive had it filled twice since, and I live in Ontario Canada. But I will be changing over to a round metal tank. Will 2 paddles in the tank be enough for agitation?

Hanoverfiste
09-07-2008, 03:09 PM
can anyone post a link to the above laws and regulations, I am googling them without much luck..

shepoutside
09-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Here you go ............
http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdg/menu.htm

Hanoverfiste
09-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks very much! I really should have researched a bit more before jumping in!