PDA

View Full Version : Bad Cut

Kic Lawn
06-26-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a 48" scag hydro walk behind mower and I just purchased my jungle wheels and new blades and it seems as though I am getting a worse cut. I have to go over the grass twice. Can you give me some suggestions on how to get a better cut?

topsites
06-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Assuming it's similar in setup to the 48" toro proline, the setup that works best for me is front casters as high as they'll go, rear tires ONE setting below the highest, then the blades as LOW as they'll go.

So, front casters ALL spacers below the caster (except the washer).
On the blades, ALL spacers below the spindle (except the washer).
And on the rear, my axle positions are labeled abcde from lowest to highest, so set it on D.

What this does is drop your blades out from inside that deck, and if you look on the chart, it is axle position D, 4 spacers below caster, 4 spacers below spindle: 3" cut.

Only thing is you need to be careful for some time getting used to this setup, the blade is right there flush with the deck so just because the deck clears an object (root or rock etc) does NOT mean the blades will. Other than that, it's awesome.

Littleriver1
06-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Assuming it's similar in setup to the 48" toro proline, the setup that works best for me is front casters as high as they'll go, rear tires ONE setting below the highest, then the blades as LOW as they'll go.

So, front casters ALL spacers below the caster (except the washer).
On the blades, ALL spacers below the spindle (except the washer).
And on the rear, my axle positions are labeled abcde from lowest to highest, so set it on D.

What this does is drop your blades out from inside that deck, and if you look on the chart, it is axle position D, 4 spacers below caster, 4 spacers below spindle: 3" cut.

Only thing is you need to be careful for some time getting used to this setup, the blade is right there flush with the deck so just because the deck clears an object (root or rock etc) does NOT mean the blades will. Other than that, it's awesome.

Interesting, How did you come up with this set up?

David Haggerty
06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
With topsites set up it amounts to double cutting. Higher in front knocks down the tall stuff then the rear of the blade gives the finish cut. Woods mowers used to instruct you to set up your mowers this way on their tractor belly mount mowers.

It takes a lot of power.

You could use double blades to get a similar effect. It take lots of power too. Do you have a big motor on that 48"?

You're probably going a lot faster with the jungle wheels aren't you? Does the grass look like you tried to mow it with an egg beater? Kind of swirled around instead of cut? Are you keeping your motor at full rpm?

Sorry about all the questions. Just trying to nail the problem down. Maybe some of the Scag owners can comment.

Dave

CutInEdge Lawn Care
06-26-2006, 07:01 PM
I have a 48" scag hydro walk behind mower and I just purchased my jungle wheels and new blades and it seems as though I am getting a worse cut. I have to go over the grass twice. Can you give me some suggestions on how to get a better cut?

What type of blades did you buy? If they are exactly like the ones you have been using did you put the same amount of spacers back, upside down? Even though they are new blades they could be bent, knicked, out of balance, or all the above. I have bought blades that were actually very unbalanced. Mine is an 06 High Velocity Deck. I also have the 36" advantage deck.