PDA

View Full Version : HELP Briggs Vanguard 15hp

bushbow
06-26-2006, 08:51 PM
I have a vertical shaft vanguard 15hp model #28Q777 and it quit running.

It will start but dies quickly and it seems like a fuel issue although there is grvity fed fuel getting to the carb. Recently I noticed a fuel leak from a part the is on the bottom of the carb. I took it out and it has a needle valve in it. I pt it back and tightened it up a bit and the leak stopped but so did the tractor. I cannot get it to stay running and when it does run it surge's then dies out. there is a elecric wire conected to the part I am talking about. Is this a fuel pump? Seams odd with a gravity feed? And might this be the problem. Before I tinkered with this leak the tractor as running great.

Help - suggestions - Part name so I can go get one an change it - Anything

Thanks - Bob, LONG LAWN, Urban

MowerMedic77
06-26-2006, 09:07 PM
The part you are describing is a fuel solenoid not a fuel pump, this is connected to the electrical system and opens the flow of fuel when it receives power(12volts) you should hear it click when you turn your key to the on position if not have someone turn the key to the on position but do not start the mower and hold your hand on the solenoid and you can feel it engage if you don't hear or feel it click use a test light to see it getting power to it. If you are getting power then you may just have a blockage in the main jet keeping you from running, come carb spray and compressed air thought the main jet should have you back up and running.:)

bushbow
06-26-2006, 09:13 PM
If it is getting power but not clicking/cannot feel it - should I replace the solenoid? Do they wear out? Thak you for your help i will check all these thing tomorrow.

Bob Urban

MowerMedic77
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
If power is getting to the solenoid remove it and see if maybe some debris is keeping the spring loaded needle from moving I have seen many with just a little trash keeping them from working you can test it off from the carb hook the wire to a positive and the body of the solenoid to a ground and see if the needle drops. Most electrical items are non returnable from most dealers so I would hate to see you buy one you don't need.

bushbow
06-26-2006, 09:20 PM
If the solonoid was going bad would this happen instantly or could it get worse until it dies? It was running today for a while and then nothing. When I try to start it she runs for a few seconds and then dies - If I add fuel right to the carb it runs a little longer

MowerMedic77
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Try the test like I described, It will run on the fuel you pour in but it is not pulling its own fuel from the bowl this is why I suggested the test on the solenoid and then cleaning out the main jet which probably would not hurt to do anyway.

bushbow
06-27-2006, 06:11 AM
MowerMedic - Thank you for such quick responses - I was at another site and although many have looked at my thread none have responded. I think I will stay here. I will try what you have suggested asap and see what happens. Hopefully it is not raining when I get home from work today.

Thanks and I will post how things are going

Bob Urban
Fowlerville, MI

MowerMedic77
06-27-2006, 06:19 AM
No problem Bob I hope this gets you back up and running. This is a great site and this board has lots of very knowledgeable guys that are happy to help :)

bushbow
06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Mowermedic It worked just as you said it would - I pulled it out and got the needle unstuck then she ran like a champ for quite a while. it then stopped again so I just jiggled the electrical connection and got it going again. had to do this a couple times and almost got through the whole lawn but near the end I broke the electical connection off. I need a new solenoid but thet is no problem. Any idea where the bext place to get one is?

Thank you for the help I feel like I owe you.

Bob Urban

MowerMedic77
06-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Glad to hear that it worked, as far as knowing a place in your area for Briggs/Vanguard parts I'm good but not that good:rolleyes: I would try this link for a repair shop in your area and with all of you engine #'s off of the shroud they could get you one no problem.
http://www.lawnmowerdealers.net/

P.S. You don't owe me anything glad to help
Ok maybe a cold :drinkup: LOL

Jim@MilkyWay
06-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Do you really need a new solenoid?
Check the coil continuity of the old solenoid with a ohm meter/continuity tester. If the coil has integrity and you can access the broken lead, just solder a pig tail wire onto the broken lead/connector and put 'er back togather as the electrical connection does not care if it looks purdy; just so it makes contact.

bushbow
06-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Medic - I have all the imformation off the shroud and was planning on doing some phone work today from the office to see if I could locate one here in town. I also thought about trying to repair the one I have. Cannot be to tough but i do believe the connection was bad so a better connection may be all it needs.

Thanks again - and if you are ever in Mid-Michigan I will have a beer waiting for ya.

I was just glad to get the mower mowing, understand the problem and not have to take it some where. I only paid 150.00 for this mower, no Idea how old it is, and have been pleased with my investment so far. It is a faded red RANCH KING with Hydro and a 42" cut I believe. I just bought this house in the country with a large lawn and I think part of the problem is vibration and jarring when mowing. My lawn is not real smooth, it was a field in April. I plan to roll it real good but do not have a roller handy.

Anyway for a "wannabe Home Brew Engine repair guy" It feels good to get the mower mowin'!! thanks again

Bob Urban