PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used BRICKMAN TRUCK

J&R Landscaping
06-26-2006, 08:59 PM
I was out looking at trucks tonight and came across a few nice ones. They are retired Brickman trucks. All are 1995-1997 Ford F-superduty (450). All 7.3 diesels, autos and all are 2wd. He has a few dump trucks and a few stake body dump trucks.

I took 2 of them for a drive. The one truck I took for a drive had a "brand New tranny" but it was'nt shifting like new at all. The other one was decent with the flaws a work truck of the age should have. I'm going to have my mechanic come look them over.

I was just wondering if any one else would consider buying one or if you think I am making a big mistake.

Also, He has a few of the trucks listed on EBAY so you may have seen them.

tylermckee
06-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I would run away from a retired work truck. They have usually been used and abused to the point of no return. Unless maybe you were getting it for DIRT cheap.

tthomass
06-26-2006, 09:56 PM
rock hard red clay dirt that is..........whats the price? mileage? most likely, stay away......they have their own mechanics to service the trucks but they are used for WORK and abuse........hard on the brakes, hard on the gas and over loaded is the only way to go

J&R Landscaping
06-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Truck has 112k and he is sellingg it for $5500

DBL
06-26-2006, 10:18 PM
is brickman selling it or is it someone else because theres a brickman really close to me and i never see any trucks for sale and were looking for a dump

MMLawn
06-26-2006, 10:21 PM
You can dang well take it to the bank that if Brickman has unloaded it, then it is worn slam out cause they don;t get rid of anything until the repairs cost more than it makes.

greenscapes,inc.
06-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I agree, just thinking about it, I know what my trucks have gone through and I would never buy one of my trucks if that makes sense. Even though that sounds like a good price for a diesel I still would run

Palmer'sLS
06-27-2006, 12:05 AM
where are these brickman people out of?...i see them in town often...just wondering out loud

J&R Landscaping
06-27-2006, 09:50 AM
a mechnaic bought over 20 of the trucks and about a dozen trailers that they were getting rid of. He is selling them as he bought them.

I checked with the brickman branch in Langhorne earlier today and they were able to give me the repair history of the trucks that I had VIN #'s for.
They just bought 200 new trucks so they don't need these anymore.

Tony Clifton
06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a decent deal for the mileage...5500 isnt bad at all. Does it have the crew box on it?
As someone said, it may be worn out but they could be selling and buying new for tax reasons, or just trying to keep a modern looking fleet.

Mowingman
06-27-2006, 10:38 AM
I would not hesitate to buy one of those trucks, IF, you can get the maintenance records for it, or if you can get a trusted mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
We buy all our trucks from a large company's fleet. All have over 225,000 miles on them when we get them. We get the maint. records to look at and pick the ones we like. Saves us a lot of money, and have never got a bad one yet. We have purchased about 12 of these high mileage fleet trucks so far.

J&R Landscaping
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
DBL, I sent you a PM with some info.

AintNoFun
06-27-2006, 06:04 PM
funny.. i saw there trucks on ebay last night and saw this post this morning... im sure they have a few good trucks but they are a smart successful company and there is a reason why they are getting rid of them...

MMLawn
06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Brickman doesn't sale because it gets old. Like I said earlier, Brickman sales because it is worn out and cost more to repair than it is worth....PERIOD. Remember Brickman answers to Stockholders so they MUST turn a higher profit each year, so running equipment into the ground instead of buying new every year helps them do that.

So if anybody on here buys one be sure and let me know so that I can say "told you so" when your repair bills quickly exceed what you paid for it. :waving:

Tony Clifton
06-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I didnt think Brickman really had any stockholders anymore. They were never public, and bought back one of the 2 major notes they had.

MMLawn
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I never said they were "public", I said they had stockholders.

Brickman Overview

We are one of the largest providers of commercial landscape maintenance services
in the United States serving commercial properties in 23 states. We were founded
in 1939 and have been continuously managed by members of the Brickman family.

We provide landscape maintenance services, including lawn care, flower bed
planting and care, pruning, leaf removal, weed and pest control, irrigation
maintenance, fertilization and mulching, to a diverse set of customers pursuant
to maintenance contracts. The vast majority of customers use our services at
more than one property and include regional and national property owners and
managers of office parks, hotels, corporate facilities, retail centers, schools
and universities, hospitals, professionally-managed residential properties and
municipal facilities. We also provide snow removal services to our landscape
maintenance customers in order to leverage our infrastructure during the winter
months. In addition, we provide our customers with landscape design/build
services, which enhance our technical capabilities and brand recognition.

We focus on long-term relationships with our customers, employees, and
stakeholders (i.e., stockholders and creditors). Accordingly, the important
measures that we monitor are our customer renewal rate, employee satisfaction,
growth in revenue, EBITDA, and the ratio of net debt to EBITDA. By each of these
measures, 2004 was a successful year:

• Customers - We renewed 91% of our customer contract dollars from 2003 to
2004. This rate of renewal exceeded the industry average of 67% as
published by industry trade magazine Lawn and Landscape in its October
2004 issue. Our prior 5-year history of renewal rates were in an average
range of 87% to 90%.

• Employees - We have surveyed our full-time employees annually on a variety
of topics, including employee satisfaction. The results are distributed to
local management and shared with employees. Participation in the survey
and the results of the survey indicate that our employees continue to be
very satisfied with our commitment to customer satisfaction and the way in
which employees are treated. Employee satisfaction is further supported by
continued low turnover at our supervisory and management levels.

• Stakeholders - Our revenue grew by 9.8% in 2004. Although lower than our
average overall growth rate for the last five years, growth in 2004 in our
core landscape maintenance business of 17.2% exceeded core landscape
maintenance revenue growth of 9.8% in 2003, resulting mostly from
increasing market share in the diverse geographic markets we serve and
from the acquisition of an Ohio landscaping business. Our overall growth
rate was impacted by a 25.4% decrease in snow removal revenue as compared
to 2003, primarily caused by normal snowfall amounts in many of our
markets in 2004 compared to the higher than normal snowfall amounts in
2003. At the same time, EBITDA grew by 19.8% compared to 2003 and the
ratio of net debt to EBITDA dropped from 3.2 times at December 31, 2003 to
2.6 times at December 31, 2004. We improved our gross margins through
close attention to production planning and labor management, disciplined
pricing, and our pursuit of enhancement work. EBITDA is not a financial
measure defined by generally accepted accounting principles. See Item 6,
"Selected Financial Data" for a description of our calculation of EBITDA
and a reconciliation of EBITDA to net income.

DBL
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
DBL, I sent you a PM with some info.

thanks got it and im thinking about maby getting one cheap

J&R Landscaping
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
My mechanic and I went to look at a few last night. The 1 truck that I am most interested in is in decent shape. Its going to need inner and outer tie rods, Brakes all the way around, master cyclinder and new wheel cylinders front ball joints, a fron winsheild, an alingment. He checked the comression of each cyclinder and said all 8 cyclinders had PLENTY of copmression. He also recomended that I get the radiator and the tranny flushed as this truck is not the one with a new trans.

My Mechainc said that for the $5500, It was a pretty decent truck.

The interior has a few flaws but nothing that is to major. I am now waiting to hear back from my insurance agent to see what kind of money I will be spending to insure the truck. If I get a fair price, I may give in and buy it But I am still not sure yet.

Raven386
06-28-2006, 12:55 PM
i really never knew Brickman was such a large company... i know they take care of quite a few BK's and a couple other comm. places around me.. i never knew they were in diff. states though.

Gravel Rat
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I hope you have a good bank account.

Lets start with the brakes expect to pay atleast 120 dollars for brake pads for 1 set the F-Superduty uses the same brake pads for front and rear so 240 dollars for brake pads. If the Rotors are shot expect to pay another 500 dollars for 4 of them. The F-Superduty trucks don't use ball joints they are king pins. I got a quote for a windshield for my F-Superduty it was 350 dollars. The Master cylinder is the big bore unit its not cheap you will prolly have to replace the hydrobooster too so expect to pay another 500 dollars there.

You flush the radiator it will prolly leak like a sieve so you will need to replace it so look another 700 dollars might aswell change all the hoses and belts add another 200 to that.

If the E brake on the transmission is worn out add another 1000 dollars to the tab. If the Automatic is gone add another 4000 to the tab.

So a rough total of repairs upto 7500 dollars the truck isn't worth it.

My 95 F-Superduty has 217,000kms (134,843 miles) on it we class that as a high kilometerage truck. It needs a rebuilt 5spd,New PS pump,New windshield,Fan Clutch. I had the lift pump replaced that cost me 350 dollars had to buy a steering stabilizer 165 dollars.

Place that I bought the truck from had to repair the PSD that cost them 2500 dollars they installed a new clutch that cost them 1500 dollars.

If you really think you getting a deal buying a worn out truck forget it because it will only cost you double what you paid for it to rebuild the truck.

Don't beat a dead horse its not worth it.

J&R Landscaping
06-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Gravelrat,
Not trying to burst your bubble but, My mechanic can get me all the parts I need for this or anyother medium duty or smaller truck. He can also help me do the labor. He knows his engines to both Gas and Diesel. If I would have to take the truck to an outside shop, I'd be spending a fortune but since I have a FEW mechanics in the family, I think I am well set.

Like I said earlier, I am not 100% decided on this yet, My insurance agent will have my qoute for me tommorow morning so I will let that be one of the deciding factors.

Gravel Rat
06-29-2006, 03:43 AM
I can do 90% of the repairs on my truck and I can get parts anywhere too I have been wrench pulling since I was 16 years old. I work on 1 ton trucks to tandem axle dumps and other heavy equipment.

I'am on my 3rd F-Superduty truck and owned nothing but Ford trucks in the past.

I have seen many people dump money into a dead horse they have some kind of mentality they think its cheaper to fix a worn out truck than find something in better shape.

Tony Clifton
06-30-2006, 11:13 PM
J&R, whats the verdict?

J&R Landscaping
07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I was surprised by what my insurance agent told me price wise. I was expecting it to be about $450-$550 per month insurance. He told me it would be about $380 per month.

My only problem at the moment is that I have no where to park the truck. My parents never thought I was serious about buying one but when my mechanic called and talked to them, they were surprised. They thought I was joking. My Parents don't want to have a "junkyard" on there property so it is still in debate.

It's kinda funny because my parents always say they support my bussiness and what not but when ever it comes time to buy stuff or bring it home, they always tell me I am foolish with my purchases.

The Truck is still in debate though.

ALarsh
07-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Did you buy it?

TWUllc
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Buying anything Brickman has touched is bad news, atleast up here in MD. I've seen some of their stuff on auction, made me :dizzy: :dizzy:

Lawnworks
07-04-2006, 12:32 PM
I hope you have a good bank account.

Lets start with the brakes expect to pay atleast 120 dollars for brake pads for 1 set the F-Superduty uses the same brake pads for front and rear so 240 dollars for brake pads. If the Rotors are shot expect to pay another 500 dollars for 4 of them. The F-Superduty trucks don't use ball joints they are king pins. I got a quote for a windshield for my F-Superduty it was 350 dollars. The Master cylinder is the big bore unit its not cheap you will prolly have to replace the hydrobooster too so expect to pay another 500 dollars there.

You flush the radiator it will prolly leak like a sieve so you will need to replace it so look another 700 dollars might aswell change all the hoses and belts add another 200 to that.

If the E brake on the transmission is worn out add another 1000 dollars to the tab. If the Automatic is gone add another 4000 to the tab.

So a rough total of repairs upto 7500 dollars the truck isn't worth it.

My 95 F-Superduty has 217,000kms (134,843 miles) on it we class that as a high kilometerage truck. It needs a rebuilt 5spd,New PS pump,New windshield,Fan Clutch. I had the lift pump replaced that cost me 350 dollars had to buy a steering stabilizer 165 dollars.

Place that I bought the truck from had to repair the PSD that cost them 2500 dollars they installed a new clutch that cost them 1500 dollars.

If you really think you getting a deal buying a worn out truck forget it because it will only cost you double what you paid for it to rebuild the truck.

Don't beat a dead horse its not worth it.

Maybe you should try a dodge gravel rat... those repairs sound expensive for only having 135k miles!!!

Gravel Rat
07-04-2006, 11:51 PM
The gov't bought Dodge trucks mainly for the dept of Forestry they ended up replacing the front end in the first 100,000kms (62,000 miles) they the 360 gas engines burn gallons of fuel. The trucks were riddled with problems eventually they got rid of the trucks. It was the constant rebuiding of the front suspension on the trucks with the 4 link and coil springs on the 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks. The reason why the gov't bought them was Dodge is the cheapest truck on the market they swapped them out and went with Ford. The company I worked for got rid of their Dodge trucks and replaced them with Fords.

One guy I know of his daughter works for the same company I do his truck has seen the front end rebuilt twice the transmission has crapped out twice the truck is riddled with problems. The truck eats brakes the rear axle has been replaced 3 times he has gave up on fixing the truck. Its a 2000 model 2500 ext cab 4x4 360 auto It burns gallons of fuel. Oh ya the truck only has 180,000kms (111,852 miles)

I guess where you guys have roads straight as a arrow and a speed bump is the steepest hill you have a Dodge truck works fine. When your roads are 10% grades and switch back corners a Dodge just doesn't last.

When you start seeing Dodge trucks being used for more than grocery getters and Yuppie mobiles a Dodge truck is a cheap POS. Ford and Chev have ruled the roost for 1.5 and 2 ton trucks since 88 its going to be pretty damn hard to beat that.

Lawnworks
07-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Still sounds like your ford has more problems!

Cigarcop
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I was surprised by what my insurance agent told me price wise. I was expecting it to be about $450-$550 per month insurance. He told me it would be about $380 per month.

The Truck is still in debate though.

$380.00 a month for one truck........ holy hell, I have a 99 F450 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 Dump that I have full coverage on and only pay $900.00 a year. Sounds like you need a new insurance agent too. Thats $4,560.00 a year to insure that thing.

Cigarcop
07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Thats commercial insurance too.

J&R Landscaping
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Did you buy it?

Like I said earlier, I want to buy but I have not bought it yet due to storage issues. I liked what insurance quote I recived for it and the news my mechanic gave me was to horrible. All total, Its going to cost me roughly 1k-1200. to get it ready for and to pass inspection.

If I had some room to keep it, I would definitly buy the truck! I'm still looking for storage space at the moment though.

J&R Landscaping
07-05-2006, 08:13 PM
$380.00 a month for one truck........ holy hell, I have a 99 F450 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 Dump that I have full coverage on and only pay $900.00 a year. Sounds like you need a new insurance agent too. Thats $4,560.00 a year to insure that thing.

Could it be also that I'm only 18 years old and considered a high risk driver? I already paay $160 a month for my F150 and I've tried going with other companies who claim to be "cheaper" but I'm with state farm at the moment and they are the cheapest I've found. I looked into allstate, progressive, geico, Nationwide, mercury. Hell even safe auto was $185 per month for the F150. :dizzy:

Lawnworks
07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Sounds like the smart solution would be to keep the f150. It is going to cost you hundreds of dollars a month in additional insurance and also hundreds of dollars per month for storage. Why not put the money in the bank?

J&R Landscaping
07-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I was going to keep the F150 anyway for smaller trips and just personal crap.
I would really like a landscape dump body though. I am also waiting to see what the new dodges are like, but I know I cant afford a brand new truck!

Tony Clifton
07-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Did they paint the truck white or is it still their colors?

J&R Landscaping
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
The truck is still brown.

Team-Green L&L
07-09-2006, 11:43 AM
We retired a dump truck this year after 2 years of deliberating retirement on it. Now we will sell it to the first new guy that will buy it. You're probably going to end up with a similar truck. Did I make a good sales pitch?

J&R Landscaping
07-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Decent one, but I've heard better!

CrewCutEnterprises
10-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Decent one, but I've heard better!
Did you buy it??

I just talked to the same guy. Im going to try to look at one in a few days, maybe maybe not.....

mrusk
10-05-2006, 08:12 PM
At 18 years old i don't think that extra 4500 bucks a year in insurance will pay of itself.

I'm 20 and pay 1300 a year on my 05 3/4 ton. I am looking on buying a single axle truck in the spring, but if the insurance is off the wall, i will not buy the truck.

Matt

J&R Landscaping
10-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Crewcut,
Who did you talk to,,, I'm confused.

CrewCutEnterprises
10-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Crewcut,
Who did you talk to,,, I'm confused.

Ray in Bristol PA, Says he bought 20 or so, and a bunch of trailers

I thought I might have a look at the trucks. he has one with a new tranny he will sell for 4500, with 100k on a 7.3, geeze thats worth it for the motor alone.

J&R Landscaping
10-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Yea, Ray did by a lot of them trucks and severall trailers as well. My mechanic went to look at them with me and once he checked one out, I was done. That 1 truck needed a lot of work. Also, the insurance quote i got was rather high.

What truck are you looking at that has a new tranny? Is it one of the stakebody trucks or is it a standard dump truck. I looked at 1 of the dump trucks he had and he said it had a new trans in it but it was shifting quite hard.

Do you know if he still had plow set-ups for sale?

CrewCutEnterprises
10-06-2006, 08:23 PM
yep, he has one on ebay, $$$6500 8 foot dump man cab 450 7.3 liter diesel 100k, diamond plow.

Yea, Ray did by a lot of them trucks and severall trailers as well. My mechanic went to look at them with me and once he checked one out, I was done. That 1 truck needed a lot of work. Also, the insurance quote i got was rather high.

What truck are you looking at that has a new tranny? Is it one of the stakebody trucks or is it a standard dump truck. I looked at 1 of the dump trucks he had and he said it had a new trans in it but it was shifting quite hard.

Do you know if he still had plow set-ups for sale?

Tony Clifton
10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
I am very interested, how did you fellas come across this guy?

DBL
10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
yeah you know im looking for a dump does he have any info on these trucks online

J&R Landscaping
10-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Yea, I'll put a link up.

DBL, your up by robs alot and hes only a few minues away. If you know where ford road is (by weed chevy and bills take out and club risque) you would turn onto ford road heading the oposite direction of weed chevy and they are facing the road. Its an orange building "Blallocks Auto".

I'll post a link to the ebay listing, just give me a chance to find it.

J&R Landscaping
10-06-2006, 10:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-FORD-F450-STAKE-BODY-DUMP_W0QQitemZ120039053729QQihZ002QQcategoryZ63734QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That should bring the page up with the listing. If anyone is interested, I do have his phone #. PM me if you want it. I was looking at the trucks earlier and he was a good guy to deal with.

CrewCutEnterprises
10-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Another NOTE, I told him I would try to find others to buy his trucks as he sells cheap for multiple sales.. IE each of us buy a truck.

Tony Clifton
10-07-2006, 11:51 AM
What other kinds of dumps does he have? I saw the pictures of the one with the man cab, but the body is only 8' long...does that dump? Does he have any 450's with a 12' dump?

Tony Clifton
10-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey Another NOTE, I told him I would try to find others to buy his trucks as he sells cheap for multiple sales.. IE each of us buy a truck.
I may be interested.
I saw the pictures of the ones with the man cab. Too bad the body is only 8', wish it was at least 10'. Do those dump? What are the standard dumps that someone mentioned? 12' bodies? What is the deal with the trailers? I looked to see if he had any on ebay, but did not see any.

CrewCutEnterprises
10-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I may be interested.
I saw the pictures of the ones with the man cab. Too bad the body is only 8', wish it was at least 10'. Do those dump? What are the standard dumps that someone mentioned? 12' bodies? What is the deal with the trailers? I looked to see if he had any on ebay, but did not see any.

They are former Brickman trucks. They only have 8 ft bodies with man cabs, all are identical. The trailers I think he sold them all.

They do dump. Some have plows some dont

Albemarle Lawn
10-07-2006, 03:51 PM
And the ingots shipped to India to be made into sewer lids.

J&R Landscaping
10-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I may be interested.

Earlier this year, (when I started the thread) he had a few f450 dump trucks with 12' dump bodies. I'm not sure if he has any of them left now or what. The trucks with the man boxs on them are stake body dumps and the do dump.

Crew Cut, is the truck your looking at inspected or what. Thats what kept me away was the fact that the truck I wanted needed a lot of work and moeny put in it to make it able to pass inspection. The engine was strong but it was the chassis that had some problems. Some of the wiringing in the dash (for the plows and sanders) was not functional.

It might be a good idea to get one of theese trucks for the winter and have it as a project so it will be road and work ready for the spring.

Tony clifton, he did have some trialers earlier this season. They were all pintle hook trailers and they were very heavy duty. Many of them had racks in them for trimmers, hedge cutters and blowers. They werent the prettiest I've ever seen but overall they werent to bad.

DBL
10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
it looks like he has a lot if the deal falls through this week on the chevy ill definetly be looking

Thirdpete
10-08-2006, 09:23 PM
..... this is an interesting conversation.

seems like you only want to pass inspection.... i too use a 150 (01 150 with 95k miles, v6 engine) to maintain about 20-23 lawns each week plus pull sod (up to 70 yards at a time, plus other stuff like tools) a few times a year, mulch, etc. but mainly grass.

i would say, if you have the business to support it, you'd be better off buying a used truck and making payments than you would be buying a used truck "just to pass inspection." atleast not a brickman truck.

what i would do is get a new truck.... see if you can get a loan cosigned by your parents, through the bank, so there isn't any early payment penalties. then pay off as much as you can as often as you can. the fact that you live with your parents hsould help greatly, considering you dont have that extra few g's a month in living expenses they do. you should be able to pay it off in a ocuple years i would imagine.

J&R Landscaping
10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I dont have a problem using the truck I have now. I had an 1988 f150 but the tranny is getting ready to die. I got a good deal on a 1994 f250 4x4 and I jumped at it. Its in good overall condition, the body is a bit rough but the drivetrain is good and it only has 88k miles on it so it still has plenty of life.

I was looking into the truck mainly for mulch and clean-ups and plowing. Also, if you can get a decent sized (1 1/4 ton) diesel dump truck for $6500 or so, why spend more on a standard pickup. I'd call it a deal but thats just me.

CrewCutEnterprises
10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Also, I think he was talking about how the used truck was not PA inspected and would have to be to get it on the road.

I think the used truck is better as if it breaks down 2 or 3 times a year no biggie, you dont have an 800 dollar payment.

I dont have a problem using the truck I have now. I had an 1988 f150 but the tranny is getting ready to die. I got a good deal on a 1994 f250 4x4 and I jumped at it. Its in good overall condition, the body is a bit rough but the drivetrain is good and it only has 88k miles on it so it still has plenty of life.

I was looking into the truck mainly for mulch and clean-ups and plowing. Also, if you can get a decent sized (1 1/4 ton) diesel dump truck for $6500 or so, why spend more on a standard pickup. I'd call it a deal but thats just me.

J&R Landscaping
10-31-2006, 09:04 PM
CrewCut,
Did you end up buying one of those trucks or what? It kinda sounded like you were ready to buy one (or more lol) of them. If you didnt, why? (if you dont mind my asking)

CrewCutEnterprises
10-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Ended up buying a house, will wait till next year to buy another truck.

Also it will probably be a npr or nqr isuzu.

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
brickman sold these trucks to the salvage guy for 1800 a pop, i know

and yes, they phase all trucks out over 6-9 years, they build it into their biz structure, cost of depreciation...they figure a truck is worth 0 after 8 years

i was going to buy 5 right from brickman......all with plows and spreaders for 1800 a piece

DBL
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
brickman sold these trucks to the salvage guy for 1800 a pop, i know

and yes, they phase all trucks out over 6-9 years, they build it into their biz structure, cost of depreciation...they figure a truck is worth 0 after 8 years

i was going to buy 5 right from brickman......all with plows and spreaders for 1800 a piece

whered you get that hook up at anything 6-9 years old with a plow and spreader is worth 1800

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-01-2007, 06:47 PM
i work as a snow sub for them, and am good friends with one of the regional mechanics there, langhorne is the hq for all the retired equipment in the eastern region....so everything retired goes there, for trucks its from 6-9 years, for all blowers, weedwackers, hedge trimmers its 2 years....

the guy bought everything, 29 trucks, half with plows and half with v-box spreaders, 6 enclosed trailers, 2 were full of the retired blowers, weedwackers etc, musta been 400 pieces of hand power equipment, tillers...everything

guy bought it all for 50k

his name is ray, he owns a used car dealer/truck repair center....give him a call 215-788-0731 im sure hes willing to deal, he wont go any lower than 5k though, already asked......hes got a good 15 of them left, i drive by there almost everyday

check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120060204586&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

J&R Landscaping
01-02-2007, 10:16 PM
i work as a snow sub for them, and am good friends with one of the regional mechanics there, langhorne is the hq for all the retired equipment in the eastern region....so everything retired goes there, for trucks its from 6-9 years, for all blowers, weedwackers, hedge trimmers its 2 years....

the guy bought everything, 29 trucks, half with plows and half with v-box spreaders, 6 enclosed trailers, 2 were full of the retired blowers, weedwackers etc, musta been 400 pieces of hand power equipment, tillers...everything

guy bought it all for 50k

his name is ray, he owns a used car dealer/truck repair center....give him a call 215-788-0731 im sure hes willing to deal, he wont go any lower than 5k though, already asked......hes got a good 15 of them left, i drive by there almost everyday

check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120060204586&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

Are the Trucks now road worthy? Have they been insected? When I looked at them earlier this year, all of them needed work and inspections. I have passed by his shop several times since but have not stopped again to look.

Also, will brickman be unloading any more equipment (mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc) for next season and if so, can you get dibs on it. I'm a decent mechanic and wouldnt mind getting some machines to rebuild.

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
well if you were one of the first people to buy one you could have your pick, some were nice right off the bat, some had nothing major wrong (say, a window that wont roll up right, or a broken headlight, or needed tires which brickman decided it wouldnt be worth buying knowing the truck is supposed to be retired anyhow) and lastly the others were bad, lots needed trannys, or other drive train or engine work...

being he has plently left id say some are still in that...hafway decent catagory...

blalocks is an inspection mechanic too, but im sure he sold the inspected ones already..

they wont have any more of the 97 style, and the 99-up style wont be getting retired for another 2 years or so....

DBL
01-09-2007, 10:39 PM
they wont have any more of the 97 style, and the 99-up style wont be getting retired for another 2 years or so....

the brickman close to me just got maby 8 or 9 brand new ones and some regular dumps and a few pickups and ive never seen them before they look good with their colors they did a good job but anyway where did those previous ones go they were the body style of atleast 99+

CrewCutEnterprises
01-10-2007, 09:58 AM
They might have gotten new ones but they havent retired the 99's yet.

J&R Landscaping
01-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I drove past Ray's shop yesterday and he had 3 of the 99's sitting out front. I'm not sure what is was about but there were 3 of them there. I was un-lettered, the other 2 had lettering still on them.

Tony Clifton
01-21-2007, 08:43 AM
I drove past Ray's shop yesterday and he had 3 of the 99's sitting out front. I'm not sure what is was about but there were 3 of them there. I was un-lettered, the other 2 had lettering still on them.

Any word on what is going on with the newer trucks?

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
trucks are out of inspection in feb, they were there & trailers to get inspected before the season starts up

J&R Landscaping
01-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I've been by the shop a few times since. All he has is the older trucks out there now. I think he has 3 or 4 of them left. He has an ebay listing buy it now for $5000.

Tony Clifton
01-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Do you guys know whether or not the trucks he has left are any good or not? I may buy 1 or 2.

J&R Landscaping
01-23-2007, 12:31 PM
If you want, I can go over and see if they are worth buying or not. Let me know!

DBL
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
id wait until they get the newer ones in so as soon as they do let me know joe were looking at a cab over right now for spring time but if i can get one of their newer ones i think we might be able to agree on them

CrewCutEnterprises
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
emailed him, he doesnt, he onlyt has 95's

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
i already told you guys he dosent have any 99 style ones, my son works for brickman so i get the word before anything else

like i said next year, they still have more 97 styles to retire this year, which wont sell to wholesalers till the end of the summer

J&R Landscaping
01-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Will Brickman sell any of the used equipment to other landscapers? I might be interested in a few pieces of equipment.

DBL
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Will Brickman sell any of the used equipment to other landscapers? I might be interested in a few pieces of equipment.

i dont know do you have a brickman close to you ill call the one close to mine maby tomorrow or maby thursday

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
before my son started for brickman theyd brush m,e off every time i wanted to buy a retired mower or truck or 2

now they let me, they said they wanted 1800 a piece per truck but wanted to sell 4 or none

this was before the ray guy got them, they have one 97 waiting to get retired now but my son asked and they want to wait till the end of summer & prefer to sell a lot to a wholesaler who isnt in the landscape buisness, i already asked why dont they start brickmans used equipment inc and they dont want to deal with so many people, dont ask me, they just wanted a lot deal, take it or leave it...everything...highest bidder wins

Tony Clifton
01-24-2007, 08:14 AM
This is because they are in the commercial landscape maintenance business, and not the used truck/equipment business. They know how their time is best spent, and they know what they are good at. This is the problem with most landscape companies, they spend time trying to do a little bit of everything instead of focusing on their core business.

J&R Landscaping
01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
i dont know do you have a brickman close to you ill call the one close to mine maby tomorrow or maby thursday

I have a location about 5 mintues from me. I will give them a call and see what I might be able to find out.

J&R Landscaping
01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Tony Clifton,

Do you want me to check into the few trucks he has left for you?

Tony Clifton
01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Yes, that would be great if you could do that. Let me know what you find out!

DBL
01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a location about 5 mintues from me. I will give them a call and see what I might be able to find out.

yeah mines about 5 minutes away too ill see what they have to say

J&R Landscaping
01-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Yes, that would be great if you could do that. Let me know what you find out!

I'll check em out either today or tommorow and let ya know!

J&R Landscaping
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I found this listing on ebay a little while ago. If you down south a bit, it migth help ya out. The truck does seem a little over priced though IMO.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F450-Crew-Dump-Flat-Bed-w-Plow-Diesel-Low-Miles_W0QQitemZ290080327587QQihZ019QQcategoryZ63742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gravel Rat
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
The dealer sure cleaned up that truck trying to hide the fact the truck is a worn out POS.

When you see new paint on stuff the dealer is really trying to hide stuff.

J&R Landscaping
02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
New paint and Armorall lol. According to the new listing, truck only has 75k miles.

BTW, Ray in bristol still has 4 trucks w/ plows and severall spreaders available.