PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys perfer diesel or gas

smarino21
06-26-2006, 10:59 PM
i am looking into another truck right now it would be used for me, estimating, supervising stuff like taht not actually towing. I would be plowing snow in the winter and eventually having it pull a trailer. I dont know if gas or diesel is better cause i hear diesel last forever but i mean how bad is the truck when the diesel starts to pay off?

BSDeality
06-26-2006, 11:04 PM
you need to drive a lot of miles to justify buying a diesel over a gas if you're not buying it for the towing reason.

I have a 2005 f350 diesel for hauling and a 4cyl 1994 toyota pickup for farting around on light-jobs, estimates, personal, etc. its the best of both worlds.

procut
06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
GAS! do not spend the extra thousands on diesel, it will take years before you even break-even.

mcwlandscaping
06-26-2006, 11:09 PM
diesel...the motor sounds better!!haha

i do like it because of the power, yea the sound, and the durability of it

Howie's Lawn Care
06-26-2006, 11:13 PM

That's the same way I feel, but it would take awhile for the durability factor to come into affect, at least for my uses. I'll probably still end up getting one before I actually need the power. The way I look at it, when it comes to hauling mulch, a v8 is too weak, a v10 drinks gas, and a diesel sounds really sweet. It also has more adequate power, but thats besides tht point :rolleyes: .

CutRight
06-26-2006, 11:30 PM
im never buying another gas vehicle again for my business. i would only own a gas for a personal vehicle. and even then only if its not a truck. all deisel from now on. just bought a 2500hd duramax. so much more power than my gas its ridiculous, better fuel mileage for towing and just driving around. plus like someone said, the engine sounds better. hahha.

TURFLORD
06-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Power and reliability. Where I live diesel is cheaper than gas. And here's the good part, under 20,000 gvw, self inspection. I've got a '04 F550 7.3 turbo diesel w/tow-haul feature. When you've got weight on that Jake brake is nice.

lawnmaniac883
06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Diesel, I would never own a gasser.

FearThisDeere
06-27-2006, 03:03 PM
If you can afforde it, diesel is the way to go IMO. I am holding out for one!

Mike33
06-27-2006, 03:35 PM
That's the same way I feel, but it would take awhile for the durability factor to come into affect, at least for my uses. I'll probably still end up getting one before I actually need the power. The way I look at it, when it comes to hauling mulch, a v8 is too weak, a v10 drinks gas, and a diesel sounds really sweet. It also has more adequate power, but thats besides tht point :rolleyes: .
How bad is the gas with the v-10? Im ready to buy had 2 diesels i pull bobcat 185 with hoe attm. on tailer. Also i pull a hydro seeder at times 1000 gal. of water. Is the fuel that bad on the v-10 that you could take the diesel difference from the cost to purchase and still come close/ Im havin g bad luck with my 6.0 and dont feel chevy front ends are heavy enough to plow snow with.
Mike

PJDiesel
06-27-2006, 03:48 PM
you need to drive a lot of miles to justify buying a diesel over a gas if you're not buying it for the towing reason.

I disagree. When my truck was bought new the Cummins option was $4,995.00. NADA shows an adder of $4,400 for it now (5 years later).
Diesels hold thier value so much better than a gasser, that in itself is enough of a reason. I have grown to look at gas powered vehicles as disposables.

Matters less for me how many miles I drive, I get 18.4 around town, 14.5 towing 9,400 lbs. A comparable 3/4 ton gasser probaby gets less than my towing mileage on the highway and is ready to crap out at 150K miles. My truck will still be kicking at triple that amount of miles.

ALarsh
06-27-2006, 05:18 PM
V-8 too weak? Please....

My 6.0L V-8 is rated to tow 10,000 lbs.

A diesel in the same setup is only rated to tow an extra 2,000 lbs. Not much of a difference....

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

Of course you will get a little better gas mileage and slightly better resale, but i'll stick to a gasser considering the amount of miles I put on per a year.

jazak
06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Diesel any day, any time, any where. Much nicer then the gas motors.

Jamesgateslandscaping
06-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Diesel! Diesel! Diesel! Trying to get rid of my gas because I want another LBZ:weightlifter: ....Im in love:dizzy: ;)
James

markam70
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Its mostly a matter of preference. Me personally, I hate the rattle of diesels and unless you're working the truck everyday, I can't see its worth it. Consider the maintenance costs as well. Oil changes for diesels are considerably higher and not every mechanic can work on a diesel.

We are running 2 Dodges with V-10's. A '95 2500 4x4 and a '96 3500 dually 4x4. Both are chipped to 550hp and 650 ft. lbs. of torque. As for performance, I haven't found a diesel that can hang with either one.

tthomass
06-27-2006, 10:49 PM
all you did was chip it? thats a lot of damn power......i'm not familar with those year models but what power increase did you get and what chip? seems very high!

btw, i've got a 02' chevy 2500hd........6.0L with 4.10 gears......PLENTY of power with my 10,000 GW dump trailer

also, PLENTY of gas...........I get about 8.5-9mpg with the trailer haul'n but then again i only paid 16,500 for a 02 with 40k miles on it, daily driver not worked truck........i'm happy

next truck..........yes most likely a diesel

markam70
06-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, we did a little work to the tranny's and rears too...the chip is basically a Viper chip. BTW...fuel mileage on the stock V-10's was around 14 mpg. Now they're getting around 11.5-12 but they're not lacking power.

Itsgottobegreen
06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Hmmmm Lets see I own 4 diesels now and there are going to be more to come.

stroker51
06-28-2006, 10:27 PM
We are running 2 Dodges with V-10's. A '95 2500 4x4 and a '96 3500 dually 4x4. Both are chipped to 550hp and 650 ft. lbs. of torque. As for performance, I haven't found a diesel that can hang with either one.

Bring it on down here, there is a Cummins running around that will absolutely smoke your v-10. I bought some of my performance stuff for my 'stroke from him, and he said that he used to race all the hopped up rice grinders but got bored, so he started to race camaros and has hung with a few 'vettes.

Back on topic though, I've got a F250 4x4 Flatbed w/ a 460 and a F250 4x4 Ext. cab longbox w/ the PSD, and I will take my 'stroke over the 460 anyday, and the 460 is a very capable puller, just loves the gas. My next one is gonna be another diesel, no doubt about that.

markam70
06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Bring it on down here, there is a Cummins running around that will absolutely smoke your v-10. I bought some of my performance stuff for my 'stroke from him, and he said the hopped up rice grinders but got bored, so he started to race camaros and has hung with a few 'vettes.

Strokin, are we talking about racing or pulling power? Our trucks are built to work. I can't say that I've ever raced a " rice grinder" and have no intention of doing so. As far as pulling, we do competition pulls with both of them so I know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps you should read your own post..."he saidthat he used to race all... ". You can't always believe everything you hear.

J&R Landscaping
06-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Mike,
Don't forget about the GLORIOUS smell of DIESEL EXHAUST!!!!: :clapping: :drinkup:

Durability is a big player as well as re-sale value. Think about it, You can work it hard, put 100-200k on it and go to trade it in for a new truck or just sell it outright, you will get something for it. Try selling a Gasser with 200k that has been pulling, towing and hauling its whole life. If it makes it to 200k on the original build. It won't be worth much at all.

bugthug
06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
I hate to say it but DURAMAX baby I bought one yesterday and I cant believe that I didnt buy one sooner

stroker51
06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Strokin, are we talking about racing or pulling power? Our trucks are built to work. I can't say that I've ever raced a " rice grinder" and have no intention of doing so. As far as pulling, we do competition pulls with both of them so I know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps you should read your own post..."he saidthat he used to race all... ". You can't always believe everything you hear.

True, I can't believe everything I hear, but I have seen him in competition pulls as well. IF, his truck is set up just perfect, he can finish in the top ten w/ the guys that have the diesel rigs with $10's of 1000's in their rigs. I have seen this on several occasions, trying to remember the pulling group it was through. I just have a hard time believing a v-10 can out pull or outrun a cummins, that's all, nothing personal:cool2:

Precision
07-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I disagree. When my truck was bought new the Cummins option was $4,995.00. NADA shows an adder of $4,400 for it now (5 years later).
Diesels hold thier value so much better than a gasser, that in itself is enough of a reason. I have grown to look at gas powered vehicles as disposables.

Matters less for me how many miles I drive, I get 18.4 around town, 14.5 towing 9,400 lbs. A comparable 3/4 ton gasser probaby gets less than my towing mileage on the highway and is ready to crap out at 150K miles. My truck will still be kicking at triple that amount of miles.

Amen.

My diesel gets 15+ mpg towing my rig
My gasser gets 7-8 towing the same rig

I also have the option of making my own biodiesel when I get a spare minute to get the system up and running.

And the resale value retains the value of the extra initial cost. And do like I did. Buy used. Got a 95 Dodge 4x4 2500 for $10K with only 104,000 miles.
Since then I have put 1000 miles on my gasser and 15,000 miles on the diesel. fuel savings of $3000 just by buying the diesel (first year).

Guthrie&Co
07-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Diesel all the way. my 7.3 psd gets 18mpg on b 20. the power is great and the stability is wonderful. what it boils down to is gassers dont hold a candle to heavy loads. i am not talking about 10k either. i gross out at around 26k that would pull the guts out of a gasser. not to mention the chassis that comes with the diesels. its not all about power it is about stopping and handling. this is why i choose diesel. you have to have the truck to pull the weight. and diesels are where its at.