PDA

View Full Version : Feel like crying

Liquidfast
06-27-2006, 03:16 AM
I meet this older man at a gas station I am cutting. He is a dead ringer for Mr. Burns from the Simpsons. I feel sorry for this guy and his sob story. Three cuts in, my guys tell me he is a major PITA. I decide to handle his grass the next two times. I gave this guy an inch and he wants 100 miles!

He is forever looking over MY shoulder, talkin (just like Mr. Burns). He is actually weird....he will bring something up like...."You aren't supposed to trim that low, I dont like it low" but he says it in a mean and angry way then 1 minute later, he is normal again.

Anyway, I decided I would drop him so instead of billing him $200 for the month to cut his house, I charged him $250 because there are 5 weeks in June...........he pays it no questions asked. He asked for reseeding, I quoted him a ridiculous price and he pays it....he is hard to get rid of.

I have asked him three times to stay away from the workers to avoid injury.....nope, not him. I cannot risk it any longer. He has to go...I'm upset cuz he is S U C H a L O S E R and no one else will stay with him if I leave. Oh well....I still had to vent. Safety first.

jazak
06-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Well extra payup payup is nice! But I would drop him.

garth1967
06-27-2006, 03:39 AM
it is easy to say.......yeah bleed this guy ....but you are right .i was in a similar situation once .safety is more important than money

sheshovel
06-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Ah common..just tell him he needs to keep away..that he can watch from a distance. The old guy is just lonley. He pays well and on time..if you can just resolve the saftery issue..say make him wear some protective gear..then you have a good customer. What I have found works well for these kinds of people is to give them a job to do to keep them busy. Ask for his help in one area while your working the other areas. Give him a broom or ask him to read a thick pamplete of some equipment instructions cuz you don't understand what it says.
Find something to keep him occupied.
It's hard to find good customers..try finding other ways of dealing with him before you kick him to the curb.

NC Big Daddy
06-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Ah common..just tell him he needs to keep away..that he can watch from a distance. The old guy is just lonley. He pays well and on time..if you can just resolve the saftery issue..say make him wear some protective gear..then you have a good customer. What I have found works well for these kinds of people is to give them a job to do to keep them busy. Ask for his help in one area while your working the other areas. Give him a broom or ask him to read a thick pamplete of some equipment instructions cuz you don't understand what it says.
It's hard to find good customers..try finding other ways of dealing with him before you kick him to the curb.

Good Post!

tthomass
06-27-2006, 10:16 AM
yeah just resolve the safety issue........payments are all good and want to drop him? crazy comments can be annoying but but just think of him as the crazy guy or something to add a little humor to the situation........safety fixed i wouldn't see a prob if he's pay'n good

Idealtim
06-27-2006, 10:29 AM
This is one senario I dont mind!

carcrz
06-27-2006, 10:54 AM
That's a good idea - keeping him busy. I had an older lady who always stopped to talk forever. She always had sticks in the lawn. So I asked her if she could pick up the ones in the back while I was mowing the front & she did it. I cut my time way down. On my way to the front, she has her money, I grab it & say "Have a good weekend, see ya next week!" "Alright" she says "I'll call you if I think of anything else that needs to be done." I've got her trained.

topsites
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
it is easy to say.......yeah bleed this guy ....but you are right .i was in a similar situation once .safety is more important than money

Is it inevitable, must we have this on our schedule, is there NO way to not have them? Somedays...

But I dunno, I'd charge him more for the time being, right now I could use the money from someone who doesn't flinch when I state the price... But if you can't take it, I understand that as well, I know tolerance has its limits. That, and if I feel sorry for someone, I find it hard to charge enough or I feel bad afterwards doing it, I dunno...
You might try the other tactic they talked about keeping him busy... This is what I mean about the bs comes out of the woods during lean years, I've got several on my list that test me good this year but money is tight and there's nothing I can do but deal with it.

The other thing is, I've had several wackos before that paid, always paid without flinching, never a complaint or 'omgeez' stupid comments or argument back and forth over 5 dollars... Man, I still give folks like that way extra rope, consider this an eccentric customer, a high roller.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Wow, sheshovel, that is an excellent and nice reply! Im impressed!:)

old dog 80
06-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Usually these are good people,not enough to do.Giving him a little job might work.Treat him with respect and talk a little.Let him know you have to charge
for long conversations-gotta pay the help!

Tim Wright
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Solution is simple. Send a talker over to occupy him whiile the guys are mowing, and charge him a little more for the extra body. Or be nice and don't charge him a little more.

Tim

garth1967
06-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Is it inevitable, must we have this on our schedule, is there NO way to not have them? Somedays...

But I dunno, I'd charge him more for the time being, right now I could use the money from someone who doesn't flinch when I state the price... But if you can't take it, I understand that as well, I know tolerance has its limits. That, and if I feel sorry for someone, I find it hard to charge enough or I feel bad afterwards doing it, I dunno...
You might try the other tactic they talked about keeping him busy... This is what I mean about the bs comes out of the woods during lean years, I've got several on my list that test me good this year but money is tight and there's nothing I can do but deal with it.

The other thing is, I've had several wackos before that paid, always paid without flinching, never a complaint or 'omgeez' stupid comments or argument back and forth over 5 dollars... Man, I still give folks like that way extra rope, consider this an eccentric customer, a high roller.

i agree in part topsites..........but i have been in position where my safety was comprimised [in an another job]and now that i have full control of my safety ,the safety of other peoples is very important to me .when i replied to this post it reminded me of a mowing job i was doing .simple mow and blow it was .it was a next door nieghbour that was the prob i would whippher snipper the fence line [chain fence ] she would be speaking to me in her jibber [demensia] and she would be getting stones and debris around the face .i had to tell the owner of the place i servicing i cant do this anymore because im concerned about the lady next door .she offered me more money but really no amount of money would make me feel better if i caused her damage

Sandgropher
06-28-2006, 03:34 AM
i agree in part topsites..........but i have been in position where my safety was comprimised [in an another job]and now that i have full control of my safety ,the safety of other peoples is very important to me .when i replied to this post it reminded me of a mowing job i was doing .simple mow and blow it was .it was a next door nieghbour that was the prob i would whippher snipper the fence line [chain fence ] she would be speaking to me in her jibber [demensia] and she would be getting stones and debris around the face .i had to tell the owner of the place i servicing i cant do this anymore because im concerned about the lady next door .she offered me more money but really no amount of money would make me feel better if i caused her damage

I would have jumped straight out the truck and run to the fence and start whipper snipping, you might have finished before she came out.

garth1967
06-28-2006, 10:35 AM
no chance .she may have been a few screws lose but she was on the ball when it came to me turning up .by the time i opened the door on my van she would be there

sheshovel
07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow, sheshovel, that is an excellent and nice reply! Im impressed!:)
Well dear,you know my replies are mostly excellent so it must have been the niceness that impressed you.
I have a deep respect and love for lonley bored out of their heads old people and I find ways to make their day a little brighter and help them feel that they are still needed, and not just a saftey hazard or a irritating old fart taking up my time by bugging me.
Being interested in whats going on around him or her is the persons right.
Find them a job, don't regect them.
I would like to hear what the original poster decided to do in this situation and if he tried my suggestion or not.

sheshovel
07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Garth your situation was different than the one presented in this thread. The woman was demented.