PDA

View Full Version : Freakin Old People....PITA

Husky05
06-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Here is a classic story....I cut alot of grass and I try to group my schedule so everything is close together so I dont have to drive alot, so on this one particular street I mow 8 yards and these are all very small easy yards. I can do them all in 2hrs or so. But there is this one old woman that I have been cutting her grass for years now so asks me a few weeks ago to cut her hedges. As much as I hate cutting hedges, I have become quite good at shaping them and what not. So last week I cut her hedges and she isnt home. Ok no problem Ill just get my money when I cut her grass this coming Monday. Now I know this lady and I know she can be a pita. So after I get done cutting her grass she asks me how much I owe her. I say 45 for the hedges and 25 for todays mowing. She makes his strange face and goes into the house. She comes back out and hands me the money. Then shes like this way to expensive for hedges, and the hedges dont even look good. I said what is wrong with them? She goes "you see this dead spots and holes on them?" I said well your yews here are 40yrs old there are going to be some dead spots its pretty much unavoidable. Then she proceeds to tell me that the guy across the street hedges look wonderful and very professional. I was like well I cut those ma'am. Shes like no you dont, I said yes I do, every year I cut this old man's hedges. Shes like no I have seen him do them. I said well maybe you saw him do them 20 years ago, now the man is in his upper 80's and on oxygen. Believe me I cut his hedges. She looked at me and was like I dont know, I still think you overcharged me. Im like well maybe you better just cut the hedges from now on. I charged more then reasonable fee, if you think its to high then dont ask me to do them.

God some people are so insane! She likes the neighbors across the street better, WTF Biatch I did those too!

Brendan Smith
06-27-2006, 08:52 AM
if you want to stop this from happening, there are several excellent threads. search the following:

bobby gedd
shovel

seriously, i feel your pain. there are always some of these types around. just keep on getting it and it'll work out one way or another.

Sandgropher
06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
In Aussie the favorite trick with old people is ask if you give pensioner discounts, i have hardly seen any genuine battlers that ask most have the latest model cars in the garage, last week i had a look at a small lawn and am thinking about $30 the lady asked" do you give pensioner discounts?" i said yes i can do your lawn for $30. the biggest problem is proving they are genuine, when i see new boats ,cars etc i charge full price.

Brendan Smith
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
In Aussie the favorite trick with old people is ask if you give pensioner discounts, i have hardly seen any genuine battlers that ask most have the latest model cars in the garage, last week i had a look at a small lawn and am thinking about $30 the lady asked" do you give pensioner discounts?" i said yes i can do your lawn for $30. the biggest problem is proving they are genuine, when i see new boats ,cars etc i charge full price.
when i started, my fliers had $10.00 senior citizen discount. after listening to their crap for way too long, i started adding $10.00 to the price before quoting it and then removing it again. for example, "well, this lawn would normally be $40, but after the discount i will do it for $30" even though $30 was the correct price anyway. the next time i printed fliers, you had better believe the discount crap wasn't on there! i had no idea that i was shooting myself in the foot that bad.

Sandgropher
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes i think its a load of rubbish i just say the same normally $40 but for you $30:laugh: , just make sure you give the price after they ask or they will want a discount on your last price, buut people must be stupid in our local paper one guy says 5% off but just charges 5% more to start with.:laugh:

MarcSmith
06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Yes i think its a load of rubbish i just say the same normally $40 but for you $30:laugh: , just make sure you give the price after they ask or they will want a discount on your last price, buut people must be stupid in our local paper one guy says 5% off but just charges 5% more to start with.:laugh:

They do that every day here in the department stores. mark up the prices and then have a sale....

Sandgropher
06-27-2006, 11:38 AM
I find old people are the worst pitas, i use to mow in City Beach which is a very posh area, any way i had to put up the price one year by $2 as they were all under priced (by the last guy lco) they all went silly jumping up and down trying to get it reduced to $1, then there bloody husbands would drive up in the latest Mercedes, makes you sick theres no way to tell if they are geniune a lot of the time so i dont advertise senior discounts all you get is price shoppers and they are very fussy to, "you missed that bit" when you are only half way through .:dizzy:

Pro-Scapes
06-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Here is a classic story....I cut alot of grass and I try to group my schedule so everything is close together so I dont have to drive alot, so on this one particular street I mow 8 yards and these are all very small easy yards. I can do them all in 2hrs or so. But there is this one old woman that I have been cutting her grass for years now so asks me a few weeks ago to cut her hedges. As much as I hate cutting hedges, I have become quite good at shaping them and what not. So last week I cut her hedges and she isnt home. Ok no problem Ill just get my money when I cut her grass this coming Monday. Now I know this lady and I know she can be a pita. So after I get done cutting her grass she asks me how much I owe her. I say 45 for the hedges and 25 for todays mowing. She makes his strange face and goes into the house. She comes back out and hands me the money. Then shes like this way to expensive for hedges, and the hedges dont even look good. I said what is wrong with them? She goes "you see this dead spots and holes on them?" I said well your yews here are 40yrs old there are going to be some dead spots its pretty much unavoidable. Then she proceeds to tell me that the guy across the street hedges look wonderful and very professional. I was like well I cut those ma'am. Shes like no you dont, I said yes I do, every year I cut this old man's hedges. Shes like no I have seen him do them. I said well maybe you saw him do them 20 years ago, now the man is in his upper 80's and on oxygen. Believe me I cut his hedges. She looked at me and was like I dont know, I still think you overcharged me. Im like well maybe you better just cut the hedges from now on. I charged more then reasonable fee, if you think its to high then dont ask me to do them.

God some people are so insane! She likes the neighbors across the street better, WTF Biatch I did those too!

This is exactly why I give estimates before hand on non repeat work. You gotta remeber 20 years ago (not that long ago to someone thats 80 ) she was probably getting them cut for 5 bucks. Im sure your charge was reasonable. When your 80 you might be a pita too.

J&R Landscaping
06-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Damned if you do; Damned if you don't... or something like that!

QualityLawnCare4u
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
This is the reason I try to avoid hedges like the plague with older folks. As I have posted many times the threshold of pain here is 50 bucks, no matter if its one bush or 40 hours worth! (Did you see me thread few days ago about the old lady wanting to borrow my equipment to do hers with)?

landscape guy
06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
When i get customers asking for senior discounts i explain that profit margins don't allow and my insurance company and the gas stations don't give me a discount because i have 1 or 20 seniors getting discounts.