PDA

View Full Version : pressure washing?

zim bob the landscaper
06-27-2006, 03:25 PM
i just got a pressure washer and was wondering if i should include it in my services. easy money it seems like. cleaning patios, sidewalks, drivways, houses, porches, and many more things you can do. just wondring if i should do this or is it a big waste of time? also if you do this service please tell me if i should do hourly or just the type of job that it is.

thanks

SamTheLawnMan
06-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I used to do it, but it's very time consuming. I had to stop during the cutting season cause I just got to busy doing lawns. You can make very good money pressure washing. I think I may do a little washing during the off season. It seemed like just when I was starting to get all the calls to start cutting that was just about the time people starting calling for a wash job...lol
Good Luck

SamTheLawnMan
06-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh BTW you was asking about prices. I charge $ .10 a square foot for a single story residence.

zim bob the landscaper
06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Oh BTW you was asking about prices. I charge $ .10 a square foot for a single story residence.
thank you for the info.:waving:

29 Palms Property Management
06-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Absolute money maker! I love doing it. Very easy work, using the right chemicals. I charge .13 a square foot. That goes for homes, decks driveways, and so on. And a $25 chemical application fee. Well worth it!

WJW Lawn
06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
I used to do it, but it's very time consuming. I had to stop during the cutting season cause I just got to busy doing lawns. You can make very good money pressure washing. I think I may do a little washing during the off season. It seemed like just when I was starting to get all the calls to start cutting that was just about the time people starting calling for a wash job...lol
Good Luck

Ive heard there is good money too....Ive been thinking about doing this, but it would have to be in the offseason too.

WJW Lawn
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Whats a good pressure washer to purchase for this??

jsf343
06-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Absolute money maker! I love doing it. Very easy work, using the right chemicals. I charge .13 a square foot. That goes for homes, decks driveways, and so on. And a $25 chemical application fee. Well worth it!

Do you need a special license because of the chemical applications?

06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Not here in FL. Or I should say this county anyways. It might also depend on what chemicals are used. But I was informed by my city and county that an additional license was not needed.

PROCUT1
06-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Wow that is good money. Here you can get your driveway sealcoated for 10 - 13 cents a square.

06-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Wow that is good money. Here you can get your driveway sealcoated for 10 - 13 cents a square.
All of the driveways down here are cement/concrete. Pressure washing a driveway alone will change the appearance of a property pretty drastically. Up north most driveways are asphalt/blacktop. I wouldn't pay someone to pressure wash a black driveway. That is a cheap price to sealcoat though, considering how messy it can get.

robbo521
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
very good money in it here.i have done some house's but do more drive's and parking lots.i do two church parking lots twice a year,then they want me to restripe them to make it look better.

DoetschOutdoor
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
I do alot of pressure washing also. I usually charge 25-40 an hour (with a minimum of 2 hours and most jobs do not take that long) depending on how bad the area needs it. As previously said, a good pressure washing can really improve the look of houses, deckst, etc. I picked up a 2300 psi from Lowes for less than 300 bucks, use it about 20 times a year for the past 4 years and never had one problem. Unless you are going to be doing ALOT of washing I dont really think there is much sense in paying the high dollars for the machine as it would take a long long time to wear out a 6 hp briggs from home depot or lowes

PMLAWN
06-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Does anybody know what "GOOD" money is
I see Good money and also 25-40 per hour???:hammerhead:
I also see $0.13 a square. Some drives can take up to a min a square. so you are making .13 a min or less that 8 dollars an hour.
Do any of you really know how much work is needed to wash a two story house. The average 2000 foot house, two story will be about 2500 feet of wall- At .13 that is $325. and will take a long day of very hard work, And you better have more than 2500 psi with only 2 GPM of wash.
The problem with PW is the same as mowing, Too many goofs that have no idea how to price work - not making any money-- that do it for a year and tear apart another industry

06-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I also see $0.13 a square. Some drives can take up to a min a square. so you are making .13 a min or less that 8 dollars an hour.
Do any of you really know how much work is needed to wash a two story house. The average 2000 foot house, two story will be about 2500 feet of wall- At .13 that is $325. and will take a long day of very hard work, And you better have more than 2500 psi with only 2 GPM of wash.
The problem with PW is the same as mowing, Too many goofs that have no idea how to price work - not making any money-- that do it for a year and tear apart another industry
Ah, but when you have the right equipment, and the right tools, it is good money. I have a 5000 psi / 5.5 gpm washer, with a power broom that covers 18" in a path, and a flat surface cleaner with a 20" rotation. So I can definitely do a whole heck of a lot more that 1 sqft a minute, which allows me to make good money at it!

zim bob the landscaper
06-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Ah, but when you have the right equipment, and the right tools, it is good money. I have a 5000 psi / 5.5 gpm washer, with a power broom that covers 18" in a path, and a flat surface cleaner with a 20" rotation. So I can definitely do a whole heck of a lot more that 1 sqft a minute, which allows me to make good money at it!
im probably going to do it by the hour becasue i got a small one 2200 psi. probably 20-40 an hour. if i had a big machine like that i wld charge by sqft.

JShe8918
07-14-2008, 01:03 AM
are we talking .13 per surface area, correct

CCPC
07-14-2008, 01:30 PM

I know this is an old post, but wow!! This is a perfect example of someone that is giving advice on something he knows nothing about. Just so you know, the only people that are taking all day to wash a 2000 sqft house are Home owners, hacks, and other tradesmen that don't have a clue as to what they are doing, or what to do it with.
A professional company will be able to clean a typical 2000 sqft house in about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours at the most.
You're right about the last part of the post; there are to many goofs that have no idea how to price the work (or do the work for that matter), they do it for a year and destroy an industry, and no offense, but many come in straight from the lawn care industry.

CCPC
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
I do alot of pressure washing also. I usually charge 25-40 an hour (with a minimum of 2 hours and most jobs do not take that long) depending on how bad the area needs it. As previously said, a good pressure washing can really improve the look of houses, deckst, etc. I picked up a 2300 psi from Lowes for less than 300 bucks, use it about 20 times a year for the past 4 years and never had one problem. Unless you are going to be doing ALOT of washing I dont really think there is much sense in paying the high dollars for the machine as it would take a long long time to wear out a 6 hp briggs from home depot or lowes

25-40 an hour? :hammerhead::dizzy:

CCPC
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
are we talking .13 per surface area, correct

Yes they are talking about .13 per sq ft of surface area.

jsf343
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes they are talking about .13 per sq ft of surface area.

When I read the .13 to .15 per sq. ft. I kind of laughed, (no offense to anyone charging that) I just am amazed you charge so little. Somebody else mentioned it already but what about your gas, your supplies, your drive time, not to mention however long it may take. I had a few bids a few years ago before we had our house painted (1800 sq. feet) and they were in the $450 range (1 higher, 2 lower if I remember right) anyway, that obviously is more then the .13 per sq. ft. It just seems that if you are going to be anywhere for any length of time you would want to make more then that. After everything is paid for you may go home with $150-$200.00 is that worth it? Maybe for some, not for others (me included)

Don M.
07-19-2008, 02:31 PM
It makes you sick to see some of the prices these guys are charging dont it?

All Season Bill
07-22-2008, 12:39 AM
A few years ago, the company I worked for experimented with pressure washing. Their only client was a chain of about 10 gas stations that we had to clean the parking lot. They wanted the work done overnight. It reminded me of our winter snow plow hours. In the summer though we didn't have enough employees to pull out of the field and make them work overnight.

We charged our regular hourly labor rate and a minimal price for the chemicals. If it was a weekly or monthly thing it might be worth it but not on an occasional basis

FCPWLLC
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
A few years ago, the company I worked for experimented with pressure washing. Their only client was a chain of about 10 gas stations that we had to clean the parking lot. They wanted the work done overnight. It reminded me of our winter snow plow hours. In the summer though we didn't have enough employees to pull out of the field and make them work overnight.

We charged our regular hourly labor rate and a minimal price for the chemicals. If it was a weekly or monthly thing it might be worth it but not on an occasional basis

Not worth it at your NORMAL hourly rate. This is where we see the problems occur. Pressure washing hasn't gotten to the point that lawncare has. (ie.. Cut throat and price wars) You can demand much more for washing. Instead of normal $25-$40/man hour rates, you can still get $150+/man hour in pressure washing. Don't get me wrong, Pressure washing will get there eventually. Especially with every Tom, Dick and Harry adding it to thier services and pricing it haphazardly.

Allens LawnCare
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Just did a small ranch the other day took me 1 45 minutes from set up to pulling out of the driveway and cleared $220, I'll take it!!!

All Season Bill
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey First Choice

First of all, I like your logo.
Second...I'm considering adding pressure washing for us but I don't want to just be considered as another 'Schlockey" lawn care company 'trying another add on'.
I actually want to learn the business and do it right. Where could I take a seminar or something?

Barry M
11-06-2008, 11:38 PM
If you are wanting to attend a seminar go to a business type of seminar. The technical side of pressure washing can be learned by trading some labor for learning with another contractor.

Where most go wrong is after learning the equipment, chemicals, techniques, and methods they jump in with both feet without learning how to swim. Marketing, sales, pricing, margins, providing value, and customer service is what you need to learn to succeed.

Just my two pennies.

lawnphysics
11-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I am like All Season. The only reason I haven't added this onto my business is I want to do it right. NOT SCREW IT UP.

What are some good angles of attack to attract this type of work? I am only going to do commercial work for this service.

rholt9
11-21-2008, 10:50 PM
So for an 800sf deck you would charge roughly $104? What do you charge for staining?

FCPWLLC
11-22-2008, 02:39 PM
So for an 800sf deck you would charge roughly $104? What do you charge for staining?

NO.... The prices here were for Vinyl Siding.

800 sqft deck for me to clean and seal would start at $1200.00
I am around $3.00/sqft

louisgeorges
12-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow I didn't know it was that far off!

My apologies... To be completely honest I didn't write that book. It's an old friend who is in his late 50's.

He kept telling me about all the money he was doing with pressure washing and what I like to do, for the past few years, is to create small websites so I told him he should put something down and I would build a site for itÖ and here we are.

When I heard people starting to knockdown the site I was curious so I build that poll to really find out!

I donít know anything about pressure washing, I canít even remember the last time I used a pressure washer, so when that guy wrote that book I didnít question him. I didnít realize he was so old school!

Actually he wrote the first draft of that book on a typewriter. I had to scan the pages to send them out to be proof read.

Well youíll be happy to know I pulled down the website to stop the debacle!

Aside from the whole mess did you guys liked the polls?

No offense I hope,

Louis

PS: One more thing, if you canít regulate the amount of water (GPM) coming out of the wand with the colored tips then what are all the little numbers on the side of them mean?

PPS: To all the people who made constructive comments, thank you. Everybody elseÖ well Iím going to leave it at that.

Russ Spence
12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow I didn't know it was that far off!

My apologies... To be completely honest I didn't write that book. It's an old friend who is in his late 50's.

He kept telling me about all the money he was doing with pressure washing and what I like to do, for the past few years, is to create small websites so I told him he should put something down and I would build a site for itÖ and here we are.

When I heard people starting to knockdown the site I was curious so I build that poll to really find out!

I donít know anything about pressure washing, I canít even remember the last time I used a pressure washer, so when that guy wrote that book I didnít question him. I didnít realize he was so old school!

Actually he wrote the first draft of that book on a typewriter. I had to scan the pages to send them out to be proof read.

Well youíll be happy to know I pulled down the website to stop the debacle!

Aside from the whole mess did you guys liked the polls?

No offense I hope,

Louis

PS: One more thing, if you canít regulate the amount of water (GPM) coming out of the wand with the colored tips then what are all the little numbers on the side of them mean?

PPS: To all the people who made constructive comments, thank you. Everybody elseÖ well Iím going to leave it at that.

spray pattern width and orfice size
example a 2555 is 25 degree spray pattern and it is rated at 5.5 gallons per min.