PDA

View Full Version : old bolens rider

florida863
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
This machine was given to me. I'm a female that doesn't mind getting dirty so I do a lot of my own repair work. Old bolens 30" rear engine rider Model number 283707. I have looked every where on line and can't find to much info on this machine since it is an 80's something model.. I rebuilt the carb. The choke link is bent on an angle with a long U shaped loop on the end that goes behind the housing the thorttle cable connects to. It was off behind the housing before I started. I can not find where this rod connects. It starts fine but runs wide open. The throttle does not move when I move the lever up or down located on the front of mower. The cable clamp is tight. I can keep it running at a normal speed as long as I hold the throttle lever that goes in the carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Splicer
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words when describing what you have...

MowerMedic77
06-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Based on that description I would say the rod connects to the wind vain governor behind the engine shroud, been a long time since I worked on one I could be wrong:confused:

FIXDISS
06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Can you get the make and model # off the engine and re-post ? Might be able to get a diagram from that .

FIXDISS
06-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok. Just on a hunch I did a search on briggs n stratton site and keyed 285707 as a model # and found a parts list that includes parts breakdown with that style choke rod.Go to briggsandstratton.com,click on Illustrated parts list and key in that # in search bar. Then click "view pdl". It appears the part in question (#216) goes from the choke butterfly control plate thru the elongated slot in throttle plate and is activated by the cam lever in throttle plate. I know a picture would help but I haven't quite masterred that on this thing yet. Hope this helps !!!

fly-4-fun
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Also sounds like the governor spring is missing if it only will run wide open. You should be able to see the spring in the parts list that Fixdiss pointed you to.