PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance foreman?

Mowman99
06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
For you bigger companies (2 or more crews) what are the duties of a maintenance foreman. I am thinking of hiring one next year, I will probably promote one of my crew leaders into this position. My description would be someone who gets the crews going in the mornings, makes out the maintenance routes and list, makes sure the shop is properely stocked, goes out and checks on all properties to make sure the crew leaders are doing there job and I guess bids on new maintenance jobs. Is this right?

Jpocket
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Personally I wouldn't have him bidding my jobs if I only had 2-3 crews...you know your numbers alot better than an employee will. You know when business is alittle slow (loweer bids) and when you guys are SUPER busy ( High Bids).

old dog 80
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
And what are you going to do?

MMLawn
06-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Think....."Mini-Me"

jwscroll
06-27-2006, 05:44 PM
What you're describing sounds more like an account manager. My Maint. foreman are only responsible for their truck and maint. issues on their properties.

JJLandscapes
06-27-2006, 05:48 PM
i mean you shouldnt pay someone a lot more to be a foreman... can you guys really not find good workers there are no foremans for maint routes in this area just one person who gets paid a coulple more dollars an hour sometimes .. usually the mexican who speaks english and can commmunicate with customers and has a valid license

you tell them here is a raise if you dont do the job right u get your old pay or get fired and more raises in the future to come

if someone cannot take that single sentence and do there job right they arent manager/foreman material.. u want someone who can take initiative.. if they are a good worker like that they can be very valuabe to your companys future if u can afford him

MMLawn
06-27-2006, 05:50 PM
i mean you shouldnt pay someone a lot more to be a foreman...

If you really believe that then:

a) You don't have any employees working away from under your supervision

b) You never will have either.....

c) you will never be any bigger than you are now

smburgess
06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I've been thinking along the same lines of moving one of my crew leaders into a supervisory position. I'm going to make a big push for new clients and just talked to one of my crew leaders about the position. She was receptive to the idea overall and I told her to think it over for a few days and ask any questions that come to mind about it. What she is thinking over is giving me a reasonable comitment of about two years without looking for another job. I don't want to really start picking up new clients left and right and she find another job! I just asked for the comitment and in addition to her present benefit package (health, dental, paid vacation, paid holidays & 401k) I would pay her for rain days once she started the transition into the position. I plan her duties to be irrigation maintenance, QA checks on the crews, meeting with clients, bid new projects (after training first), training new employees, work on equipment, and anything else I can think of! I told her also that by the time the two years are up she should be at or above $20.00 per hour (right now she's at $16.50). I would still handle billing, scheduling, payroll and some of the field work along with being at the shop every morning to get the crews going, but in time I would have her move into these fields also to a degree.

smburgess
06-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Fantasy Lawns
06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
My foreman is responsible fore all "in-house" from the trucks, equip & job quality

I do all that supports him, when something is in need he lets me know .... I give him my suggesting of the route but he does fine tune it as far as work order of the day .... but I do set what area's are covered that day ... cause when I bid I tell the customer what day they will be service not necessary what time of that day

I take care of down time on larger equip or trucks, bidding, hiring, paperwork & follow up customer issues n do some side jobs which will help the others day go smooth

ie .... tommarrow I'm going out to trim some palms n spray RU on a job site the guys will be cutting earlier in the day .... the rain is got up behind ...n I'm just pitching in to help them out