PDA

View Full Version : Walker low oil safety?

bligh61
06-27-2006, 07:26 PM
my 20hp would'nt start, low on oil, added and it seems fine, any advice?

tallimeca
06-27-2006, 10:20 PM
meaning it started and ran???

If the oil pressure light is still going off, could be a bad sensor, or a broken wire.

ed2hess
06-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I am going out on a limb here but my Walker has an oil light on it so they could inhibit ignition when oil is low?

Georgeharry
07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
my 20hp would'nt start, low on oil, added and it seems fine, any advice?
Low oil sensor ,works like a float switch.When the oil is low it cuts off the fire and won't reset until the oil level is corrected.Good deal in my opinion.

ed2hess
07-03-2006, 07:46 PM
So this little float has been added inside a standard Kohler engine? The terminals on my oil low light were broke when I got my unit and I decided not to fix it. But this begs the question that someday I won't be able to get my unit started and it could be a failure of this little oil sensor?

Jim@MilkyWay
07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
So this little float has been added inside a standard Kohler engine?....
I think georgeharry was using the float switch as an analogy. Float switches are on the carb. to instantly stop gas flow through carb. when ignition is switched off.

ducky1
07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
It is a pressure switch, much the same as you have on your car or truck.

fixer67
07-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I work on Walker all day long and I know nothing about a low oil safety on a Walker with a Kohler 20HP. The is a low pressure switch but it is hooked to a light and buzzer. Nothing to do with the starter at all. The ground speed switch is more likely the cause of it not starting. If the Ground speed lever is not back all the way and the switch is not set right it will not start. All so the older units (5 years or more) had a plunger type switch on the PTO lever the had a bad habit of sticking and causing the engine not to turn over. You can go to Walker web site and down load a wiring schematic for free on the manuals page.