PDA

View Full Version : Goat in the back yard

slawn
06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Hello guys, I'm new here, and I've learned alot reading the post here. I'm in my second year in lawn service, would really like to go full time if it works out. Anyway, last week I went to give a estimate, it was a elderly man and women. The yard was a little overgrown but a pretty nice yard with the back yard being fenced in. I went to go around back and the lady said, I have a goat back there, sure enough there was a big nanny goat. To make a long story short I took the yard, mowed it the first time while I was there. The goat just went in her little barn and never bothered me. Only thing I'll make sure I don't leave my exmark unattended in the back yard. A goat will eat anything!

QualityLawnCare4u
06-27-2006, 10:20 PM
If she has a goat she does not need a LCO :laugh: You are right though about them eating anything. I remember when we had some on the old farm and my dad came in cussing them for eating the tail light lens off of his new truck.

DBL
06-27-2006, 11:04 PM
yeah we used to service a sheep farm and they had sheep in a large pasture that we never cut but everyonce in a while theyd put the sheep in their fenced in back yard and we wouldnt have to cut the back yard those weeks

Kate Butler
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Goats eat ALMOST anything - but grass is not one of their favorites. They're the BEST when it comes to getting rid of brush; particularly poison ivy. Sheep are the ones that are the best grasscutters. They won't eat brush (unless there's nothing else ot eat) but are great on the grass.

Years ago I had two sheep who did all of the lawn mowing at my house. Just moved the electric fence when it was time to do another section. The hard part was keeping them out of the flowers. Somewhere I have a great picture of both of 'em with blooming flowers hanging out of their mouths.

DBL
06-27-2006, 11:34 PM
goats can eat poison ivy w/o getting it. poision ivy is my worst enemy

Sandgropher
06-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Goats eat ALMOST anything - but grass is not one of their favorites. They're the BEST when it comes to getting rid of brush; particularly poison ivy. Sheep are the ones that are the best grasscutters. They won't eat brush (unless there's nothing else ot eat) but are great on the grass.

Years ago I had two sheep who did all of the lawn mowing at my house. Just moved the electric fence when it was time to do another section. The hard part was keeping them out of the flowers. Somewhere I have a great picture of both of 'em with blooming flowers hanging out of their mouths.

May be if some body has a farm they could hire out sheep instead of mowing lawns $25 a week for one or $40 for two.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: