PDA

View Full Version : echo vs. redmax

fourseasonsky
06-27-2006, 09:12 PM
considering a new trimmer and/or edger. what is the pros and cons of echo vs. the redmax. The redmax is one hundred dollars more.

lawnspecialties
06-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Both are fine units. Is the RedMax worth a hundred more? Yep. If you're a smaller LCO and need the $100, get the Echo. If you're at the point where you know the best quality really has no price, get the RedMax.:)

JTF40
06-27-2006, 09:22 PM
considering a new trimmer and/or edger. what is the pros and cons of echo vs. the redmax. The redmax is one hundred dollars more.

Welcome to the websight. However, this subject has been beat to death in the past. Do a search - tons of opinions.:usflag:

LawnInOrder
06-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Both are fine units. Is the RedMax worth a hundred more? Yep. If you're a smaller LCO and need the $100, get the Echo. If you're at the point where you know the best quality really has no price, get the RedMax.:)
redmax all the way LawnInOrder

Lynden-Jeff
06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
In Canada its Echo > redmax IMO. Redmax is way over priced and a royal B*tch to get parts for and really I can't wait days for my parts.

Cheers
Jeff

tallimeca
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Can't compare brand vs brand.

Let's compare model vs model and we can bring up pros and cons.

Both OEM's are at the top of their game and offer great products and service to back them.

Both are continuing to build 2 cycle engines that are meeting certification for years ahead.

fga
06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
if going by price,..
i currently run an echo 2100 with the Redmax 4" tap had, a commercial straight-shaft trimmer for about $199- $220. really like it for the price, and for what i use it for.
I am however going back to Redmax, i'm buying the Redmax TR2300 for $229. For $30 more, its supposed to be a great trimmer.
maybe you could look into that one also.

http://www.redmax.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=62

also, redmax has this hedge trimmer attatchment that replaces the head on the unit, by loosening 1 bolt. great option instead of buying a dedicated extended hedge trimmer.

fga
06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
if going by price,..
i currently run an echo 2100 with the Redmax 4" tap had, a commercial straight-shaft trimmer for about $199- $220. really like it for the price, and for what i use it for.
I am however going back to Redmax, i'm buying the Redmax TR2300 for $229. For $30 more, its supposed to be a great trimmer.
maybe you could look into that one also.

http://www.redmax.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=62

also, redmax has this hedge trimmer attatchment that replaces the head on the unit, by loosening 1 bolt. great option instead of buying a dedicated extended hedge trimmer.
one more thing i noticed, even the cheaper model Redmax comes with the solid shaft, while the echos come in a "4 layer cable" drive.
they work fine, but i have snapped 3 cables over the last 4 years. my original redmax went about 5 seaons before the engine went, but the shaft was never an issue.

ThirdDay
06-28-2006, 12:52 AM
one more thing i noticed, even the cheaper model Redmax comes with the solid shaft, while the echos come in a "4 layer cable" drive.
they work fine, but i have snapped 3 cables over the last 4 years. my original redmax went about 5 seaons before the engine went, but the shaft was never an issue.

Snapped 3 cables in the last 4 years....what are you trimming?? We have used Echo flex shaft trimmers for years with no problems at all. Echo is the big name in commercial hand held stuff in my area and none of my buddies have "snapped" cables either.

Echo has a lifetime no hassles warranty on the flex cable as well. If they did actually snap, Echo replaces them for free! This tells me they don't have a problem. They could'nt afford a lifetime warranty if they did.

fga
06-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Snapped 3 cables in the last 4 years....what are you trimming?? We have used Echo flex shaft trimmers for years with no problems at all. Echo is the big name in commercial hand held stuff in my area and none of my buddies have "snapped" cables either.

Echo has a lifetime no hassles warranty on the flex cable as well. If they did actually snap, Echo replaces them for free! This tells me they don't have a problem. They could'nt afford a lifetime warranty if they did.
the first thing i do when i buy trimmer, like alot of guys is remove the gaurd. so i magine the small length of extra line puts more stress on it.
but i use it for simple weekly lawn care, and edging.... and have snapped them.

dmk395
06-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I personally buy Echo trimmers, but blowers Red Max all the way

offshorebear
06-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I have a RedMax 2300 - great little (light!) trimmer.