PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day

Scag48
06-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Well guys, today was no good. I think I'll dedicate this thread to those "bad days". I've been installing water and sewer lines for the last 2 days and while trenching today I hit an underground power line that was barely 15" down with red tape right on top of the line, what a joke. We had called in a locate last week, the PUD didn't locate this line but located one on another part of the site. We're speculating the line isn't "hot" as the meter it goes to isn't running and the line runs to a water pump that hasn't run in years. We found the abandoned 8" steel water line with no problems, but not 6' feet down the trench I snagged the power.

And to top it all off, my truck started spewing tranny fluid yesterday. It was about 102 yesterday and had been pulling a monster hill. As soon as I got to the site to unload, the truck decided to dump some fluid. We had this happen last year to our F350 and nothing was wrong with the tranny, the fluid just boiled and went out some overflow valve. We're suspecting that's the case with my truck as well, I hope I don't have a bad gasket. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

2004F550
06-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Dont feel bad... I hit an old well line a couple months ago....could be much worse right? if it hadn't been a dead line

Dirty Water
06-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Did you put the truck in reverse after that monster hill?

Scag48
06-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Not that I remember, I heard the Torqshift doesn't have that valve that allows reverse flow. I'm really thinking that the truck will be fine, but I parked it today and drove the backup truck.

Rapat
06-28-2006, 05:59 AM
It could be worse, someone stole my 430D off of a job site in the Bronx yesterday.

AintNoFun
06-28-2006, 10:27 AM
our 350s and 450's usually at least once every winter blow out some tranny fluid when plowing. the dealer said its normal...

Scag48
06-28-2006, 07:33 PM
our 350s and 450's usually at least once every winter blow out some tranny fluid when plowing. the dealer said its normal...

That's what I've figured, I've seen it before, but I'm always cautious about these things, don't want to create more trouble for myself.

Today I was trenching next to a chain link fence and swung the counterweight of the 312 into it a couple times and scratched some paint off :cry: I guess it's about time to start getting her all scratched up.

Tigerotor77W
06-28-2006, 09:10 PM
This is certainly not along the same lines (in terms of damage), but I ran over a truck tire (just the thread, but it was taller than my ground clearance...) in the middle of the blasted interstate one day while driving to work -- talk about a whump that woke me up!

minimax
06-28-2006, 10:05 PM
You should get a mini ex or a zero tail machine,haha!!!!

Construct'O
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Sh.......t happens or at least that's what my help says !!!!!!!

gammon landscaping
06-29-2006, 02:13 AM
it seems to me every time i dig a water/sewer/power line in a subdivision. it really gets on my nerves cause we call we sit then they don't mark what ever i hit...hehe. it has gotten to the point that i have the utilities numbers on my phone

Gravel Rat
06-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Try ripping out a water line that feeds a bunch of houses it happened when I worked for the dept of highways. It wasn't buried very deep sure enough tore the line. Some guy was having a shower it got cut short when the water stopped :laugh:

We have hit a sewer line ripped the top of the 8" pipe off seen turds and toilet paper floating down the pipe.

Another job installing a 4" drain pipe the excavator operator hits a 6" water main the trench turns into a river. Rushing around trying to find a water valve key to turn the water off.

You never know what is buried underground the tell tail sign is if you start digging in a area you suspect wires or pipes and you see a different color sand or sand in general proceed with caution.

Some days you win some some days you loose some. Just have to take it in stride its part of the territory. The worst pipe to rip out by mistake is a poop pipe its not nice playing in somebody elses poop and pee fixing a pipe.

tylermckee
06-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Some days you win some some days you loose some. Just have to take it in stride its part of the territory. The worst pipe to rip out by mistake is a poop pipe its not nice playing in somebody elses poop and pee fixing a pipe.
I would much rather rip out a sewer pipe and tear into a big phone line, At least i can fix that myself, as gross as it may be. Rip through an important main phone line and you'll be paying out your ass.

Mrk'sLawn
06-29-2006, 06:34 AM
The worst pipe to rip out by mistake is a poop pipe its not nice playing in somebody elses poop and pee fixing a pipe As opposed to playing in your own:confused: :confused: :laugh: :laugh: JK that doesn't sound like any fun at all...

TerraFirma Excavating
06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
I would much rather rip out a sewer pipe and tear into a big phone line, At least i can fix that myself, as gross as it may be. Rip through an important main phone line and you'll be paying out your ass.

I tore out a 2400 pair phone line on a military base before. Took out nearly all phone lines on the base, including 911. We called and got locates beforehand. Guy came out and marked it and said it ran directly between the two pedastels. No prob, we were digging about 20' or 30' to the side. Didn't even feel it with the excavator. The phone repairmen where in a little tent for a week spicing lines. I don't know how they figure out all the different lines, especially with 4800 wires sticking up!!!

I don't know how much the bill was to repair it or how much the insurance went up. If I recall correctly it, we only had to pay half. They took some responsiblity because they didn't locately it correctly.

Gravel Rat
06-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Lucky for us power and telephone is all above ground aka overhead wires if it does go underground then its run through conduit the only direct burial wire is Tech Cable (High voltage power). Under ground utilities is very expensive here because of the blasting involved or having a excavator with a breaker busting a trench all day.

tylermckee
06-29-2006, 09:41 PM
I tore out a 2400 pair phone line on a military base before. Took out nearly all phone lines on the base, including 911. We called and got locates beforehand. Guy came out and marked it and said it ran directly between the two pedastels. No prob, we were digging about 20' or 30' to the side. Didn't even feel it with the excavator. The phone repairmen where in a little tent for a week spicing lines. I don't know how they figure out all the different lines, especially with 4800 wires sticking up!!!

I don't know how much the bill was to repair it or how much the insurance went up. If I recall correctly it, we only had to pay half. They took some responsiblity because they didn't locately it correctly.
Lucky you had the locate done, seems the phone company never knows where their cable is burried. My boss was telling me about how his old boss ripped through a 2000 pair phone line, that they had called to locate, they said there was nothing there. He said it was a good thing they messed up cause if he would have been at fault the repair bill would have put him out of business.

qps
06-29-2006, 11:37 PM

Nicked a 200 pair line yesterday....wonder what's that gonna cost??? said only a couple of lines where cut, but there were alot of at&t trucks on site....yikes.....:hammerhead:

Scag48
06-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Well, we got the power situation fixed. The line I hit is connected to a remote pole off the main line. When I hit the underground line, it travelled up the remote pole to the main breakers on the main pole and cut power to the house next door and nothing else. The neighbor shows up (summer house), his lights work, but his 220 submersible pump doesn't and his refridgerators are acting weird. Turns out I hit (2) 220 leads, didn't hit the ground so it didn't short. Luckily it's a small town, we know the head lineman at the local PUD, called him up, he came out, disconnected the line we hit from the pole to the meter and fired up the breakers on the main pole. All said an done, the neighbor lost some food that spoiled in the fridge, other than that with the disconnected line we hit we're going to move it about 10' over so it's out of our way for the rest of the dig. Our customer is happy, neighbor is happy, and the PUD lineman admitted that their contractor that does all the locates screwed up and didn't mark the line we hit. No harm, no foul, and I'm still alive to tell the tale.

Dirty Water
06-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Well, we got the power situation fixed. The line I hit is connected to a remote pole off the main line. When I hit the underground line, it travelled up the remote pole to the main breakers on the main pole and cut power to the house next door and nothing else. The neighbor shows up (summer house), his lights work, but his 220 submersible pump doesn't and his refridgerators are acting weird. Turns out I hit (2) 220 leads, didn't hit the ground so it didn't short. Luckily it's a small town, we know the head lineman at the local PUD, called him up, he came out, disconnected the line we hit from the pole to the meter and fired up the breakers on the main pole. All said an done, the neighbor lost some food that spoiled in the fridge, other than that with the disconnected line we hit we're going to move it about 10' over so it's out of our way for the rest of the dig. Our customer is happy, neighbor is happy, and the PUD lineman admitted that their contractor that does all the locates screwed up and didn't mark the line we hit. No harm, no foul, and I'm still alive to tell the tale.

I've ran a trencher through 220v lines. I wonder what exact combination is needed to actually electrify the machine.

Scag48
06-30-2006, 02:10 AM
I really couldn't say, I'm not really sure what it would take. A local electrician has told me he saw the teeth get blown off an excavator bucket after hitting buried power, but I was on the 303 when I hit this line. I'm really surprised I didn't get some short of shock, maybe because of the rubber tracks? I really have no idea, all I know is that I feel guilty as hell every time I hit a line.

treadlite
06-30-2006, 06:57 PM
It's very unlikely that you'd get a shock under these conditions.... you've just hit a live conductor buried in earth with a metal bucket..... the current will always seek the shortest path to ground which would be through the bucket to the earth, which should cause the overcurrent devices to open (fuse, breaker). There might be an off chance that you'd energize the whole machine, but if you're sitting with your body completely on the machine without you touching the ground, you'd still be safe. It's when part of you is touching the machine and another part of you is touching the dirt that the problems start.... everybody dig safely out there!!!