View Full Version : Toro 724 ZTR mower needs a hydro

evan price
06-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Anyone know where I can find a cheap (Used A-OK with me!) Hydrostatic wheel motor for a Toro 724 ZTR? I need the left motor with fan. Guy gave me the ZTR for free if I would haul it away that day, did so, great running 24 HP motor, just the left hydro is kaboomied. Guy said he replaced the right one 2-3 years ago for $1400 @ a shop and didn't want to pay that again. Seen rebuilt/new but looking for cheap fix here. Any mower junkyards? Thanks.

09-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I bought one last year. $640 or so new. Is there any chance you could send a photo of the throttle/governor arrangement on that engine. When I took mine apart, the pieces came apart before I could look really well at the setup. I have the Onan engine shop manual but it is not really clear on that exact connection. I think I put it back on correctly but it would be nice to confirm off a working engine. Specifically the 2 pieces that bolt to the flywheel cover where the throttle cable is squeezed against the L shaped metal part and the short spring attaching the governor to that part. Thanks....Doug

09-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Just checking to see if you ever got this mower working. Just found out that mine could use an engine rebuild so I might want to buy yours. Please email me at twoismax@sbcglobal.net if interested.

09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
you said you needed a wheel motor with fan. do you mean a hydrostatic pump with fan? if it's a pump then post the make and model of the pump itself.

evan price
10-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Well, I work on heavy equipment and we call it a wheel motor. I suppose you could call it a hydrostatic pump since that's what the mfg calls it.
PN I can find is 113568 or 113569 depending on CW or CCW rotation. Or 219022/219023, again CW or CCW, that is rebuilt PN.

Duhren: As far as disassembling the unit, since your motor is blown how about selling me the wheel motor?

10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
if the manufacturer calls it a wheel motor then it's the one that the wheel mounts to. is that what you want?
Call J-Thomas at 800-828-7980 they will give you a price.

10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
I was more interested in your engine but an interesting thing happened today. My motor repair man said that he was able to fit oversize piston rings in the motor, has it back together running strong, and will deliver it this afternoon. I do have all the shop and parts manuals for it in case you might need information. I will have to wait and see if it runs as well as he says before I consider selling the pump..........Doug

10-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I just did some looking. This is an oddball system. Do you know who makes the Hydro pump/motor thing?

Looks like you have a shaft coming from the engine into a gearbox then out into the 2 pumps and the pumps drive chains that go to the wheels or something.

evan price
10-10-2006, 12:44 AM
The way this thing works is, there is a driveshaft that comes off of the flywheel of the motor, that turns a "T"-box. There is a driveshaft off of each side of the "T"-box that go to a "wheel motor", the "wheel motor" turns a sprocket and drive chain that is connected to the axle for the drive wheel on one side. Basically, a whole lot of spinning bits to make the wheel go. There is one "wheel motor" or hydro pump for each of the drive wheels, the pumps are counter clockwise, or clockwise, rotation depending on which side they drive. It's kind of like a skid steer loader, sort of, an older one.

Basically, I am looking for someone willing to sell me the parts I need, and I can't afford new... Thanks!

10-10-2006, 01:32 AM
i haven't seen it but i'll bet that they are Eaton's
does it have a input and output shaft? does it have a lot of cooling fins on it? if so then i understand the confusion because in one unit there is a ball pump and ball motor.