PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Trimmers at Lowes vs. Sears

Fooltergeist
06-28-2006, 10:03 AM
I've zeroed in on a Husqvarna Model 123L string trimmer strictly for home use, based on favorable reviews at www.Epinions.com, that are even better than Echo.

This Husqvarna model is listed at www.Lowes.com as Model 123L with a price tag of $199.99. A similar looking model is listed at www.Sears.com as Mfr. Model No. 79100 with a price of $179.98.

Not only is the Sears model less expensive, it also has a listed engine of 28cc whereas the same Husky at Lowes only says 24cc. Are they one and the same Husqvarna model but different engine ratings? Why would a higher displacement engine from the same manufacturer cost less? That doesn't make sense.

Incidentally, the cheap Weedeater Featherlite FL25 I bought from Sears only lasted one season before the clutch broke. Can I take it back to them and get some trade-in value for it, since I've lost the receipt and the warranty card?

Thanks for any help.

Fooltergeist
06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Please disregard. I just found out I was comparing apples and oranges. The model that Lowes has is the Husqvarna 123L (24 cc) at $199.99 whereas the Sears model is the Husqvarna 125L (28 cc)for $179.98. So Sears wins hands down because they are selling a higher displacement string trimmer from the same manufacturer for a lower price.

My aplogies for this unnecessary posting.

newz7151
06-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Please disregard. I just found out I was comparing apples and oranges. The model that Lowes has is the Husqvarna 123L (24 cc) at $199.99 whereas the Sears model is the Husqvarna 125L (28 cc)for $179.98. So Sears wins hands down because they are selling a higher displacement string trimmer from the same manufacturer for a lower price.

My aplogies for this unnecessary posting.

What horsepower do those trimmers produce? This is how the box store brands get people to buy their stuff. They flash this big displacement number at you.. which is almost always bigger than a commercial unit, but they never offer to tell you that their high number there isn't making as much HP as the lower cc commercial unit.

Martino
06-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Never look at engine size as the only determining factor. Many lesser quality, consumer trimmers have larger displacement engines.......but are not better, or more powerful trimmers. Of the 2 that you're looking at, the one at Sears is a much more cheaply made consumer trimmer that is likely overpriced at $179. If it's between those 2, I'd get the one from Lowes.

A better alternative would be to pay a visit to your local OPE independent dealer who actually knows something about the equipment in question.

Jason Rose
06-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Heck, run out and get you one of those Ryobi/MTD/troybilt/bolens/ect... They pack an impressive 32cc !!! :hammerhead:

Yeah the displacement means NOTHING on those low budget trimmers...

I bought a 323L Husquvarna from lowes this spring and couldn't be happier! It's sooooo light and has tons of power. Even has an ADJUSTABLE carburator! Now there's something that can't be found these days... Most all have non-adjustable carbs. Starts running bad, too bad...

evergreenlandscapes
07-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I have had great performance from my Stihls