PDA

View Full Version : the department of labor stopped by my jobsite yesterday.

TheKingNJ
06-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Yesterday we were mowing a Hotel in my area, as soon as we are packing up to go, I see a guy walking over to me with a clip board and looking at my truck. Iím thinking hmm most people that walk up to me to inquire about my services donít examine my truck and have a clip board. So I talk to him, he is from the department of labor and he randomly drives around looking for landscapers on the job. So he asked me about my employees gave them each a forum to fill out and gave me a forum to fill out and asked me a few questions if Iím a legal business and what my federal id number is and what not. So that was it, one of my employees was off the books at that moment but I had the quick response of ďHe just started working todayĒ and then called my accountant as soon as the D.O.L. left my job site. I think it is great that they are doing that. Hopefully he will put some scrubs out of business.

WJW Lawn
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Im just curious...did he show you any credentials??

TheKingNJ
06-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Im just curious...did he show you any credentials??

yeah his assistant kept rubbing her badge in my employee's face and he gave me his business card. Where is there a ring of phony department of labor imposters running around that I don't know about?

WJW Lawn
06-28-2006, 02:05 PM
yeah his assistant kept rubbing her badge in my employee's face and he gave me his business card. Where is there a ring of phony department of labor imposters running around that I don't know about?

I don't think there are any DOL imposters...lol Ive just never heard of that actually happening. Im curious what their "fine" would have been if you didnt have your federal ID handy. What are they like the Game Warden now?

25 Dollar no Federal ID Fine...lol :confused:

Guess I'll need to keep my number on me. :usflag:

TheKingNJ
06-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't think there are any DOL imposters...lol Ive just never heard of that actually happening. Im curious what their "fine" would have been if you didnt have your federal ID handy. What are they like the Game Warden now?

25 Dollar no Federal ID Fine...lol :confused:

Guess I'll need to keep my number on me. :usflag:

I didn't have my federal ID number on me, I told him I can fax it to him and he said he didn't need me to do that.

upidstay
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Nahh, I heard they give you hard time for that stuff now. Or they'll just beat the heck out of you and let you go.

WJW Lawn
06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Well...it seems like they would have bigger fish to fry...rather than just slowing you down and picking on you. You should send him a bill for slowing you down. If people dont pay taxes...Uncle Sam will get em eventually...but those Bozo's shouldnt be shoving their badges in your face and then say "Nah dont worry about faxing me your ID number". Send em a bill!

David Haggerty
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Never heard of them doing that. Good idea though.

Dave

ed2hess
06-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Interesting you immediately called your accountant?

PROCUT1
06-28-2006, 06:57 PM
I wouldent have told him a thing. And i especially wouldent have filled out anything on a jobsite. I would have given him my card and told him to send his inquiry in writing for the info he requested and after I cleared it with my attorney we would be glad to set up a meeting for whatever info he needed.

AintNoFun
06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
the d.o.l. has been out in full force in monmouth county for a few weeks now..

but on another note..

one of my employees was off the books at that moment

rodfather
06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
the d.o.l. has been out in full force in monmouth county for a few weeks now..

but on another note..

good...I hope they come up to hunterdon, somerset, and warren too btw.

dcondon
06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
If they would like to stop by mid-Michigan that would be just fine by us.:clapping:

AintNoFun
06-28-2006, 08:31 PM
yea but everyone is saying the same story who got stopped. they asked if they were paying there guys on the books with o.t. etc. etc. but it hasn't seem to gotten anywhere.

good...I hope they come up to hunterdon, somerset, and warren too btw.

MMLawn
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
yea but everyone is saying the same story who got stopped. they asked if they were paying there guys on the books with o.t. etc. etc. but it hasn't seem to gotten anywhere.

OH....but it WILL and it will come back and bite them in the AZZ, just like it is going to with this dude that started the thread that is paying under the table, even though he lied to them. See the reason they ask for the business name and the Fed Tax ID number is that they will check the companies Q-941's against the number of employees working on the site the day they were checked and it will be very easy to look at the numbers and tell they were lying/paying off the books and BAM....BUSTED if they are paying illegally...... :laugh: :laugh:

Might want to hire a real good tax attorney there KINGY cause tax fraud is 20 years and in the federal system you serve 85% of the time...... :laugh:

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
06-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I have gotten stopped at least once a year for the last 4 years..All good here!! Some guys around here have been hit with fines up to $10,000.

rodfather
06-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I have gotten stopped at least once a year for the last 4 years..All good here!! Some guys around here have been hit with fines up to $10,000.

good..best news I have heard today, screw um :clapping:

rodfather
06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
OH....but it WILL and it will come back and bite them in the AZZ, just like it is going to with this dude that started the thread that is paying under the table, even though he lied to them. See the reason they ask for the business name and the Fed Tax ID number is that they will check the companies Q-941's against the number of employees working on the site the day they were checked and it will be very easy to look at the numbers and tell they were lying/paying off the books and BAM....BUSTED if they are paying illegally...... :laugh: :laugh:

Might want to hire a real good tax attorney there KINGY cause tax fraud is 20 years and in the federal system you serve 85% of the time...... :laugh:

personally, I am real tired of this crap Mike...I mean big time tired.

Dashunde
06-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Rod, I don't get it... in one post your saying "screw um" and the next you read like your scolding Mike for the same sort of attitude?
Did I miss something here? Where you agreeing with him?

Either way, I hope all of you who wish your competitors, big or small, this variety of ill-will have the Government break it off in your self-righteous dirt-chutes over something that you, your accountant, or your office staff overlooked. ;)

(In case your wondering, I'm small, but completely legit - I just dont like the sentiment that gets spewed out here sometimes.)

MMLawn
06-28-2006, 10:12 PM
personally, I am real tired of this crap Mike...I mean big time tired.

I agree 100% Rod. Folks like me and you and many others on here and in this business make sure and do everything the right way, cross all the t's, dot all the i's and then these clowns walk around paying under the table or issuing 10-99's all so they can avoid paying their fair share of taxes. BUT let something happen to them or their business and their the first ones in line for a free government hand-out that mine and your taxes paid.:dizzy:

dvmcmrhp52
06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Gov't handouts????
Where do I get in line??????
It's our right isn't it???????

:laugh:

MMLawn
06-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Gov't handouts????

Yeah it is for you Dave.......but you've earned it, now go get some cheese :laugh:

dvmcmrhp52
06-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah it is for you Dave.......but you've earned it, now go get some cheese :laugh:

Hell with the cheese Mike, I'm looking for surf and turf! :drinkup:

grasswhacker
06-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Gee, I wonder if the D.O.L. monitors sites like this one for admissions of guilt? Hmmmm

TheKingNJ
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
i'm with Rod though I did have one of my employees under the table(which i know i will never hear the end of) I think they do need to issue big time fines for it. I called my accountant and had him added to my payroll system that day. So i'm not really sweating it. I hope the DOL can bust some illegal Mexican workers in our area while they are busy.

AintNoFun
06-28-2006, 11:56 PM
my friend me you and rod have a better chance of hitting the lottery. why go after the mexicans, they'll dissappear within a few hours when you can get us suckers seize our assets, lock us up, etc. etc. i love our government

I hope the DOL can bust some illegal Mexican workers in our area while they are busy.

Dashunde
06-29-2006, 12:08 AM
my friend me you and rod have a better chance of hitting the lottery. why go after the mexicans, they'll dissappear within a few hours when you can get us suckers seize our assets, lock us up, etc. etc. i love our government

I dont figure they go after the Mexicans... they go after the company owners who hire the Mexicans and keep them off the books.

Surf'n'Turf
06-29-2006, 12:34 AM

They were in Red Bank a few months ago....lots of Mexicans were running scared for a few days....I did read where they rounded up quite a few gang members and are looking to get them deported. They also passed out literature to me one time about minimum wage/ OT, etc. a few years back....never asked for any ID#'s from me or my foreman, though. Glad to see they're making their presence felt....would love to see them crack down on the hacks.

olderthandirt
06-29-2006, 01:20 AM
I wouldent have told him a thing. And i especially wouldent have filled out anything on a jobsite. I would have given him my card and told him to send his inquiry in writing for the info he requested and after I cleared it with my attorney we would be glad to set up a meeting for whatever info he needed.

Like the idea or not this is the correct way to handle gov. inquiries. You can put you foot in your mouth and not even know it till it cost you thousand of $$$

rodfather
06-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Gov't handouts????

LOL...like you need one. :laugh:

dvmcmrhp52
06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
LOL...like you need one. :laugh:

Isn't America truly great?
:usflag:

rodfather
06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Isn't America truly great?
:usflag:

sure...and it's guys like you and me that are paying for it my friend. :cry:

fga
06-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Doesn't matter how "legit" you are... they'll still find a way to squeeze money from your pocket.
everytime i'm up to par, there's some new surcharge or tax i'm paying, everyone has a damn hand in my pocket.

all these new "laws" and task forces, all a money ploy.
I got a flat tire a few weeks back, on the expressway. I pull over o the side safely....the cop showed up and demanded that i put the tire away, that it is mandatory "for my saftey" that i pay $125 tow fee off the highway, about a 100' from the exit.:mad:
10 minutes before posting this, i had to go plead with a cop to not give my truck a ticket for being 2 inches from my own driveway:angry:

dvmcmrhp52
06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
sure...and it's guys like you and me that are paying for it my friend. :cry:

But on a positive note, isn't it good to be in a position to be self sufficient rather than the other side of the track?

As sad as it may sound, I'd rather be "paying for it" than having to "collect" from it even though the abuses of the system are more and more rampant with each passing year.

But, it can't continue forever on the path we're currently on...........something has to change...........

dvmcmrhp52
06-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Doesn't matter how "legit" you are... they'll still find a way to squeeze money from your pocket.
everytime i'm up to par, there's some new surcharge or tax i'm paying, everyone has a damn hand in my pocket.

all these new "laws" and task forces, all a money ploy.
I got a flat tire a few weeks back, on the expressway. I pull over o the side safely....the cop showed up and demanded that i put the tire away, that it is mandatory "for my saftey" that i pay $125 tow fee off the highway, about a 100' from the exit.:mad:
10 minutes before posting this, i had to go plead with a cop to not give my truck a ticket for being 2 inches from my own driveway:angry:

And this is why I cringe when someone suggests some sort of new law to get rid of illegit activity, sooner or later (most likely sooner) these laws add more stress to the wrong people rather than correcting the problem.

cantoo
06-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I would like to be a fly on the wall when some of these big talkers get pulled over for speeding. "I'll wouldn't tell them a thing or do anything" Yeah right, I bet you thank the cop after he gives you a ticket. I have been on the receiving end of tough questions like this many times and trust me you will do whatever they ask and whatever they say.
Just like this I bet.

A couple of kids in the South get pulled over for speeding. When the trooper approaches the car, the driver says 'What's the problem, sir?'.
The trooper takes out his machined aluminum flashlight and whacks the kid across the head saying 'You don't speak to a state trooper unless you're spoken to'.
The trooper writes out the citation and gives it to the driver who responds 'Thanks a lot'.
The trooper again gives the kid a dose of the flashlight and says 'When you address a state trooper, you finish your sentence with the word sir'.
He then walks over to the passenger side and whacks the other kid with the flashlight.
The kid says 'What was that for, sir?'
The trooper says 'I was just fulfilling your wish.
Y'all wouldn't have gotten 100 yards down this road before you'd have said to your friend, "I wish he'd have hit me with that flashlight", so I fulfilled your wish.'

PROCUT1
06-30-2006, 12:12 AM
If he was hittin me with a flashlight then I would be callin my attorney for more than one reason. I would not volunteer sensitive confidential business information to someone who walks up to me on the road.

We have an office. If you need information you can contact the office and they will contact me. I will make the arrangement to relay the appropriate information.

Employees are not allowed to give out any information to anyone.

Im not saying that we would not cooperate with the DOL. We absolutely would, but the side of the road, spur of the moment is not the place for it

DLCS
06-30-2006, 12:41 AM
If he was hittin me with a flashlight then I would be callin my attorney for more than one reason.

....but that would be after you hit the ground, had a concussion, and had to be ambulanced to the emergency room, right?;) ;) ;) :)

olderthandirt
06-30-2006, 01:00 AM
....but that would be after you hit the ground, had a concussion, and had to be ambulanced to the emergency room, right?;) ;) ;) :)

Nope! I ain't taking a beat down from a cop or a DOL or anyone else that wants info when I'm working with out giving some back. AND if I do then we will have multiple mutual charges to argue over in court.

Of course I prefer to sit back and collect some gov. cheese :)

cantoo
06-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Like I said I have been on the receiving end of some of this and fighting back ain't gonna work. I was in a 10 x 10 room with the Superintendent and 8 guards(goons) and he was explaining to me at the top of his lungs that while I was in his house I was his meat and to speak when he said and only then. I may have been inciting a riot and he found out. The only witnesses where on his side.
I have also dealt with the Ministry of Labor and it's just about as bad.

olderthandirt
06-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Like I said I have been on the receiving end of some of this and fighting back ain't gonna work. I was in a 10 x 10 room with the Superintendent and 8 guards(goons) and he was explaining to me at the top of his lungs that while I was in his house I was his meat and to speak when he said and only then. I may have been inciting a riot and he found out. The only witnesses where on his side.
I have also dealt with the Ministry of Labor and it's just about as bad.

But thats happened AFTER they got you in there "house". What about before when theres only 1 possably 2 suits asking you questions that an attorney should be answering. By the time I get to there house I won't be remembering much of what happened BUT neither will the original one that wanted to start crap in the first place.
I know how the game is played :waving:

DLCS
06-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Nope! I ain't taking a beat down from a cop or a DOL or anyone else that wants info when I'm working with out giving some back. AND if I do then we will have multiple mutual charges to argue over in court.

They hit me one time and I'll be out cold on the ground. Then they will have to take me to the ER. See that will help make my lawsuit look even better since I would have medical bills too. That poor sob cop or DOL dude will be screwed. lol

dvmcmrhp52
06-30-2006, 06:13 PM

Geeez! Another one!:laugh:

milo
06-30-2006, 10:59 PM
people what is a federal id number??? i am sole prioritor and i file my tax under my ss# i might have one but i dont know what it is or what paper you need to get it. it has been like 12 years ago...

Tharrell
07-01-2006, 06:37 AM
You can get that from the IRS. It would be your identifying tax number instead of your SS#. You can still be solo prop and get a fed tax #.

hoskm01
07-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Nope! I ain't taking a beat down from a cop or a DOL or anyone else that wants info when I'm working with out giving some back.

Not that a beat down from a cop is a good or just thing to do on the cops part, but you fight and cop and you'll lose, whether you end up dead or injured. Don't know if thats what you were getting at or if you were talking about a tongue lashing in which case, if you've done nothing wrong, I would give it right back to him (verbally of course) all day long.

hoskm01
07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
You can get that from the IRS. It would be your identifying tax number instead of your SS#. You can still be solo prop and get a fed tax #.

Milo- You can go either way in your case, getting a federal tax id seperate from your soc. sec #, but you dont have to.

milo
07-01-2006, 05:52 PM
yea i thought i did not need one when i set up the business. i did not get one nor do i need one.. i use my ss# like the cpa told me to do.. thanks for the info

Team-Green L&L
07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
A Fed ID number is a necessity because of the IRS. They love to audit people without one because your personal expenses as well as your business expenses are easily cross-referenced if you use a SS number.