PDA

View Full Version : job pics

cedarcroft
06-28-2006, 06:13 PM
This is a job we just finished. I subbed out the pool and patio and did all the rest. Since this is the hardscaping forum, I figured I should post the hardscape pics. In the fall we are building an outdoor kitchen and entertainment center for the customer.

mrusk
06-28-2006, 09:04 PM
This is a job we just finished. I subbed out the pool and patio and did all the rest. Since this is the hardscaping forum, I figured I should post the hardscape pics. In the fall we are building an outdoor kitchen and entertainment center for the customer.

Ok let me get this right. Someone called you to install a pool. You subbed it all out and just planted a few shurbs and did some mulching?

cedarcroft
06-28-2006, 10:07 PM
don't hate the player...hate the game. My end of the job, minus the pool and patio was $49k. we did Sod, planting, boulders, grading, drainage etc. the entire job was well over $100k. On top of that, the kitchen/entertainment center we are installing in the fall will be about $30-40k. Not a bad job, sorry its not up to your lofty standards. if you don't like the pictures or the way I do business, move on to the next post.

BSDeality
06-28-2006, 10:20 PM
subbing work can be quite profitable. Show up and get paid for someone elses work.

hoskm01
06-29-2006, 09:34 AM
subbing work can be quite profitable. Show up and get paid for someone elses work.

At least somebody gets it. "Do one thing and do it well." Pools probably arent in most peoples weekly lineup on this forum. So if he was the GC on the projects and applied his landscaping skills then he did darn well. I wish I could find a customer with those wants. Well done.

Pavers Plus
06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Smart companies sub out what they aren't EFFICIENT at doing. I have a friend that worked for a company in Atlanta that does projects primarily between $100,000-$750,000. I assumed they did most of the work including all masonry, landscaping, pavers, pools, wood, water features, etc.... He told me they basically do the landscaping, grading, drainage, and maintenance. Once in a while they actually did a small construction project in house. They acted as the GC on the jobs, buttered up the clients and treated them well and added their 15-20% on top of the subcontractors prices......

Great looking job Cedarcroft!

BSDeality
06-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Pools certainly are not your average job. 4 (i think) years ago my father and I installed our own 18x36' fiberglass pool. it was a hell of a job and in the end it came out alright. Not perfect, but its good enough for us. I know what corrections I would have to make to make it perfect. If someone approached me I might consider doing another fiberglass pool job, but it certainly is a tough business to be in. Every time I dig a big hole we get a lot of rain. garunteed.

mrusk
06-29-2006, 10:25 PM
You must of done some fancy drainage if your end of the project was 49k. Thats alot of money. I just find that hard to belive unless there is work done not show in the photos. The photos show about 1 day worth of plantings and like 10 yards of mulch maybe.

Matt

slicksilverado01
06-29-2006, 10:44 PM
You must of done some fancy drainage if your end of the project was 49k. Thats alot of money. I just find that hard to belive unless there is work done not show in the photos. The photos show about 1 day worth of plantings and like 10 yards of mulch maybe.

Matt

I agree. but maybe prices are way higher in NY?

dcondon
06-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Nice looking job you had done there. I like that pool!!:clapping: :clapping:

tthomass
06-29-2006, 11:36 PM
how about some more details/info on the job

good catch on be'n GC too!

kris
06-30-2006, 09:35 PM

Matt

Whats up Matt? Why would you doubt him? I see 49k easy.

cedarcroft
06-30-2006, 10:46 PM
there is about 150 yards of topsoil in there, about 12k (wholesale) in plantings, 40 yards of mulch, $600 of moss rock, and assorted drainage pipes and boxes etc. 11,000 sq ft of sod. not to mention labor. the prices in NY are high but it was a big job. (for me)
as for days, it took about 8 days total plus follow up BS which probaly added up to another day or two.
edit # 2: the pictures don't show the entire job, just the stuf I thought would be interesting to this particular forum.

hoskm01
07-01-2006, 12:48 PM
You did well Cedar, none of us saw the place before besides you. Mr. Musk may be a bit jealous he didn't land this or a similar gig.

Mike33
07-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Pools certainly are not your average job. 4 (i think) years ago my father and I installed our own 18x36' fiberglass pool. it was a hell of a job and in the end it came out alright. Not perfect, but its good enough for us. I know what corrections I would have to make to make it perfect. If someone approached me I might consider doing another fiberglass pool job, but it certainly is a tough business to be in. Every time I dig a big hole we get a lot of rain. garunteed.
Thanks for your pool in put. Im going to build a new home with in 6 months and was thinking about installing my own 1 piece pool, san juan etc., Is it that complicated? Why i ask is in my area there are only 3 pool companies. The 1 guy i build walls after is a complete stupid jackass. This 30 year old has a rich daddy that set him up in business and if he can do it any , trust me any one could. Its not fair to look at another business and make comments but these things did not look that bad. What are the ins and outs of 1 piece fiberglass pools? Thanks,
MIke

hortiscape
07-02-2006, 08:15 PM
I am curious where the $49,00 is also.
If this is the cost of topsoil, grading, sod, planting, and drainage in your area, Good for you, your doing very well for yourself.
what was the square footage on the lawn and how many planting beds/plants?
I understand if you do not want to let me know.
Thanks, Paul.
P.S.
Up here in Vermont you could include the pool and patio for $49,000

cedarcroft
07-02-2006, 11:25 PM
as stated earlier it was 11000 sq ft of sod. this is a half acre property that had ONE tree in total on the property. everything was gutted and replanted. we made berms, beds, borders etc. every plant, flower and tree on the property except for one giant oak tree was planted by us. we get $1.25 a sq ft for sod, $65-75 a yard for top soil. we mark plantings up 2.25-3x wholesale. figure it out yourself. with the material cost on the drainage we were probably over 50k without the patio and pool. the pool was 27k before running gas lines and electric and the patio and pool surround was about 40k alone. if you can get all that done in Vermont for 49k, than send the labor here, I could use the help.

what the f**k do I need to do, scan invoices and receipts to prove the cost of my job???!!! I am working on getting before pics from last fall so all you doubters can see the scope of the job.

kris
07-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Actually when I look at it ... I dont think you charged enough:waving:

cleancutccl
07-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Why is everyone ragging on him for possibly being too expensive, obviously the customer didn't think so because they paid for the job. Its almost as if everyone wants a lowballer for their competition instead of a company that does things right and for the right price. Very nice work Cedar, and I agree that doing pools is a dificult prospect to undertake, but you should look into building patios. Its a great money maker, and you can really set yourself apart from the competition.

DoetschOutdoor
07-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Very nice job, the pool and backyard area really looks good and Im sure they are enjoying their new backyard. And I really doubt hortiscape that any company in this country that would install that pool and patio for only 49K, not even in Vermont

cedarcroft
07-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I do small patios and walks. a patio of that size would take me too long due to inexperience etc. I would end up losing money. I am getting to the point of taking on bigger flat work, but for now its better for me to have someone else do it. thanks for the compliments. as soon as I have more pics from before and after, I will post them here.