PDA

View Full Version : Walker problem

bligh61
06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
OK, today my 20 hp 2001 walker mower ran great. After 8 lawns in a row I shut down the machine. Wouldnt start, checked all the safetys, seemed ok. The starter relay would click but no start. Then it would start, no click. Shop said relay might be bad, returned and replaced it, now it seems like a dead battery. please, any help is appreciated. Battery is less than a year old. Tried charging it same problem.

mulcahy mowing
06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
alternator thats what it sounds like to me. did you check the charge of the battery? if it's dead have the alternator checked i have seen this before on many a tractor

Jim@MilkyWay
06-28-2006, 08:36 PM
What is your cranking voltage? That is, with a voltmeter measuring voltage at the battery posts, _NOT_ on the cable ends but on the posts themselves, while someone engages the starter.:drinkup: :usflag:

mcambrose
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
As posted previously, check voltage across the posts on the starter before the key is turned (should be 12v) and then when the key is turned to start (SHOULD BE 0 v). If the voltage doesn't go to zero (solenoid pulls in and closes switch) then check the voltage between the solenoid terminal (spade terminal) and ground when the key is turned to start. If there is not any voltage then you can run a wire directly from the battery to this terminal to test. Just touch the wire to the terminal to see if it makes the starter turn. If it does, then you have a safety switch acting up or a bad relay. If the voltage to the starter solenoid is 12V when the key is turned then you probably have a bad solenoid. I have had some very frustrating problems with Kohler starters on my Walker's after 800-1000 hrs. I tried cleaning the starters and also replacing the solenoid. They would work intermittently. I talked to a friend who is a really good mechanic and who works on huge generators for TVA. He said it might be a problem with a glaze developing over the brushes because of heat, but I never tried that because it is so much work just to swap starters that I was tired of trying to fix it when a complete fix is less than $150. I have had the best luck just replacing the starters when they begin acting up. I have bought the latest one on Ebay for about $110 and I was well pleased. To work on the starter it is best to remove the blower housing, so you can take the starter on and off without having to remove the engine.

thecrankshaft
06-29-2006, 10:07 AM
What engine?

Jim@MilkyWay
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
..."As posted previously, check voltage across the posts on the starter before the key is turned (should be 12v)"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As mcambrose mentioned, the starter voltage checks are going to ultimately diagnose the problem. The battery voltage check is just a first place to start. If the battery is going south and you don't know it, then bad/low voltage readings, under load at the starter or anywhere else could be confusing.

ed2hess
06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
..."As posted previously, check voltage across the posts on the starter before the key is turned (should be 12v)"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As mcambrose mentioned, the starter voltage checks are going to ultimately diagnose the problem. The battery voltage check is just a first place to start. If the battery is going south and you don't know it, then bad/low voltage readings, under load at the starter or anywhere else could be confusing.
I never thought about this much but if the charging module on motor is bad will the unit run off the battery?

Brianslawn
06-29-2006, 09:15 PM
the battery is only used to start it. it runs off the magnets on flywheel. i would suggest you make sure your ground from battery to frame is clean, first.

ed2hess
06-29-2006, 09:58 PM
the battery is only used to start it. it runs off the magnets on flywheel. i would suggest you make sure your ground from battery to frame is clean, first.
So will a Walker run off the battery without the magneto/coil working like a car?

Jim@MilkyWay
06-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Your battery is only used for starting; (well, sort of) your charging system, while it is _intended_ for charging the battery will operate efi and/or any kind of processors etc. Further, until the battery dies, if your charging system goes south, your electronics will not "see" any difference in voltage whether from the battery or charging system.
The magneto/coil components of the ignition system, however supply high voltage to the plugs and your motor will not operate without high voltage.

Brianslawn
06-30-2006, 01:09 AM
So will a Walker run off the battery without the magneto/coil working like a car?

a non efi.... uhh... no.

the 26 might.

Jim@MilkyWay
06-30-2006, 11:03 AM
a non efi.... uhh... no.

the 26 might.
Thanks Brian(?)
You are right; I did not make clear that, regardless of how few or how many electrical components a machine has, the battery and charging system will operate everything except the spark plug(s).

tallimeca
06-30-2006, 12:27 PM
if you are running an EFI, and your battery is STONE DEAD, the charging system will not run the EFI system.

Also

NEVER JUMP START AN EFI!!!!

If you want to put a jumper to the battery, disconnect the cables first and try to charge it up. Unless you want to drop 500 bucks on a new computer from Kohler!!!

Sorry, had to edit, thought you said it dies.

Alot of times, the little , blue i think, wire that goes to the starter shift solenoid on the Kohlers is just loose, If you take it off, clean it and crimp the connector a little tighter, problem solved. The easiest way to tell is take a test light or volt meter. Put it on the small wire that connect to the spade terminal on the solenoid on the starter. If you turn it to start and you get power, that's a plus, but you must have enough power, so a volt meter would be better.

Starters are common on these.

Just undo the 4 bolts that hold the motor and and you should be able to move the engine enough to pull it out.l

BE CAREFULL!!!!! Make sure you put some sort of safety device to hold the bag from comming down. Don't rely on the dampener. A friend of mine was unbolting a motor in a walker and the bag magically came flying down. The momentem pushed the ratchet down on his hand underneath the machine so hard it blew one of his fingers open like a chicken wing. It was HORRIBLE!!!.

Now the saying in the shop whenever working on a Walker, or dedicated bagger......"Carefull, those things crush fingers!!!"

Jim@MilkyWay
06-30-2006, 02:05 PM
...NEVER JUMP START AN EFI!!!!

If you want to put a jumper to the battery, disconnect the cables first and try to charge it up. Unless you want to drop 500 bucks on a new computer from Kohler!!!...

WOW
Thanks for the heads up! I don't own an EFI motor but this is good to know.
I would have never thought jumping with another battery would pose a problem. A battery charger/starter is a different matter. The AC/DC converters in them are brute force devices because batteries, as a rule do not care. I know from experience, however that they can wreak havoc on sensitive electronics.