PDA

View Full Version : i dont know how guys only use skid loaders

Dirt Digger2
06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
i was reminded today why i hate skid loaders so much. After the significant rain we got last night, this morning i had to go and clean out a catch basin with our Takeuchi. No problem, that thing handled the mud, rocks, and silt like it wasn't even there. Later in the day I was sent to an area that i needed to carry around sand with our Case 1840. I spent more time getting myself unstuck with the bucket and trying to get rid of my tire tracks without making new ones then i did carrying sand. At one point the tires sunk so low into the mud i thought i was going to have to go get the F-350 and pull the darn thing out. I guess once you use a tracked machine you'll never go back.

Scag48
06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
For those of us that use our skid steers on concrete and asphalt, it gets really expensive running a track loader on asphalt and abrasive surfaces. While I like track loaders, skid steers are still irreplaceable in some situations.

jazak
06-28-2006, 10:56 PM
SCAG48 is right. The costs to run a track loader on pavement, concrete, ext is way to much and whares down on the machine too much. You really need one of each like you have.

gammon landscaping
06-29-2006, 02:17 AM
that is why i like the track over tire that i use. i can go better than a rubber track, not as smoth a ride, i can take them off for pavment work. and i still have that 20 grand that they wanted to trade and i will have around 5300 extra when i have to put tires not tracks on it

Gravel Rat
06-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Its like running a 2wd backhoe you spend more time getting unstuck and pushing yourself around with the hoe. Its pretty rare a skid steer gets used in general excavating. Put the clean up bucket on the hoe and cart the material around. Most places are too steep for a skid to operate.

hansondirtman
06-30-2006, 01:08 AM
I agree, my new SR-80 is hard to beat, skid-steers are feeling old now... Besides arn't all the skid guys building tracked units now? Seems like a good indication. But I still have a soft spot for good old 1845's.

Squizzy246B
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey Dirtman, I'd like to hear more of how the SR 80 is going.

This topic just eats me because there is no such thing as the perfect allrounder...its all a compromise.

I wanted to put the Loegring VTS system on my 248B until I found out they were like 20K plus here. The last three days I did two tyres (both repairable) and could have used a CTL to great effect..except that both jobs required us to load out on bitumen...run and turn on pavers...so I did the bogged thing a bit...cursed under my breath and smiled when I run over the hard surfaces and screwed around loading the truck....If I had the VTS system on it would have been a major PITA....thats not to say all the wheel spin was fun.

Whats the answer???:confused: Two machines...VTS...OT Tracks???:confused: It just does my head in:hammerhead:

Maybe Gammon can answer this one...does the OT tracks raise the machine up much??..so that you can't get the back level on the ground when you drop the loader arms down fully. I have seen this on a Kanga with the plastic tracks OT where there was no way you could get the dam machine to cut forwards nice and level...The bucket was pointing down to get it to cut and it just speared in all the time....useless as t**s on a bull.

Tigerotor77W
06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah, hansondirtman, how is the SR-80 going for you? What'd you have prior to it and why'd you buy it? (In my customary way of dragging things off-topic... feel free to start a new thread if you want.)

Canon Landscaping
06-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't go back to a skid steer unless I worked on pavement all the time. If you look at the cost of tires and flats and down time taking the over the tire tracks on and off and they cost 3,000 or more you are much better off buying a track loader. We have a deere 322ct and we run it over everything we run it over curbs load trucks on pavement we spread gravel with it dig out patches on roads and the tracks are holding up great. When we purchased the machine the dealer tried to talk us into a wheel machine with the ott tracks but to get the same lift and pushing performance we were going to have to step up to a much larger frame machine. The track machine cost more up front but you get twice the productivity and the resale will be higher. Here are some pics of the tracks.

Dirt Digger2
06-30-2006, 07:07 PM
hey Canon thats a nice looking setup...given you any problems yet?...our takeuchi tracks look just like that, i popped the right side track off the machine the other day...got up next to a tiny stump and turned and the thing popped off the front...it was actually a very easy fix with a digging bar and a tube of grease...does that Deere have pilot controls or the old twin sticks?

Canon Landscaping
06-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I haven't had a single problem it has the hand and foot controls like bobcat and new holland but we have a couple of new hollands so thats what we are used to. It has been a great machine for us.

Dirt Digger2
06-30-2006, 08:24 PM
how do you guys like the foot controls?...personally i never really cared for them, when i go to brace myself with my feet i dont want to worry about dumping my bucket or something like that.

TriCountyLawn
07-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Grew up running older skids on the farm with foot controlls, However after running a Cat for 10 hours today im in love with hand controlls, Not near as much physcial work.

mr mow
07-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Whats a skidsteer? is it spelled write? is it a german tank of some sort? let me know please,cause they sound like fun and i need something heavyduty to pull my boat.

Mike33
07-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I have a 185 my 3rb. bobcat and i run steel tracks. When we do jobs around asphalt or concrete we pull our tracks. We try to schedule our work that we do a few of them back to back. How ever we got it down pretty well we can pull our tracks with in 15 minutes or less. and the same with putting them back on. That gives us the best of both worlds and another reason why skid steers are very versatile.
Mike

alot2lurn
08-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Years ago I used to run a New Holland with foot controls , where I work now we have a Case.I much prefer foot controls , I just cant seem to get used to them on the sticks.I was so much more.... I guess fluent would be the best way to describe it with foot controls.

ksss
08-02-2006, 01:59 AM
You don't here guys being more fluent with foot controls very often. I guess it is what your more familiar with. I never cared for the foot controls even though that is what I started running skid steers with when I was a kid.