PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Estimates PLEASE HELP QUICK

Mow It All
06-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi, ill give you my short story. I bought a pre established buisness with all the equipment and 75 accounts. I went out and got an apartment complex and shorted myself big time. I now have another complex that wants an estimate. I dont know what to charge without this guy thinking im crazy. I figure it will take me about 4-5hrs to do. Im a 1 man show looking to hire but need to figure for just me right now. Its alot of small islands, alot of edging, and weedwacking. The mowing is not a huge deal its all the little stuff. Can someone please help me with an idea of how to estimate these big proporties. Thanks alot

TNT Lawncare
06-28-2006, 10:41 PM
I'd say about 1 dollar per minute.

Mow It All
06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
See I was thinking $250 but was not sure if he would freak at that price, I just dont know what the commercial crowd looks for.

TNT Lawncare
06-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I do 3 apt complexes and way under bid my self. What ever you do, don't do that. I hate that it takes longer to weed eat then mow. It sucks. If you are going to do it, get paid for it.

TheKingNJ
06-28-2006, 10:57 PM
300 bucks.

syzer
06-28-2006, 11:07 PM
No one here will be able to give you an accurate figure. I know its horrible thing to hear, and I hate when I read posts that say it. No offense to anyone on here, but any of the above answers could get you in trouble.

I know a lot of large companies actually measure out the property. They then go off of that, if they have 10 acres, they know their mower can do 5 acres an hour under normal conditions, they will have two mowers on the property, thats 1 hour mowing. 2 guys can trim it in one hour as well as edge, then you have them jump on blowers as they finish. This is just a scenario obviously, but how you would could bid it.

Also, apartment complexes around here, we submit multi year contracts that are billed over 12 months and include everything. This includes mowing and every associated with it, fert apps, tree trimming, annuals, perennial bed care, edging, mulch, etc.

Just some ideas for you to think about. HTH's

topsites
06-28-2006, 11:22 PM
See I was thinking $250 but was not sure if he would freak at that price, I just dont know what the commercial crowd looks for.

Well hold on a second, you just shorted yourself on your first one so you better look out, slow down some lol...
Commercial props will drive you out of business so fast because the more it's worth, the more you stand to lose.

It's one thing to get messed over by a resi for say 700 dollars, that hurts.
But when a commie comes around and does you for 7000, that's disasterous.

First piece of advice: Do NOT bid commercial until you have had at least 4 years in this business.

Second piece of advice: Come up with your price, then double it.
Well didn't you just short yourself the first time big?
Ok, so double that 250, that should help.
Yes, bid 500 in this case. If they freak, that's your cue to leave.
As for getting in trouble over the price, the higher you go, the better.
And if I messed you up and you still lose out bad, well at least you didn't say 250 lol.