PDA

View Full Version : customer situation...what would you do?

topsites
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Ok, customer came onboard 3 weeks ago and was looking half decent but really, maybe 8 cuts until end of season. The fact that it was 1/2 yard didn't turn me on to begin with but anyway... Go out there the first time, wife is there but gives me some story about husband being out of town and to just leave a bill... I didn't like that a whole lot but how to argue, so I left a bill ($35).

Then we got into the drought and I checked their lawn last week and it did not need cutting, also I had still not gotten my check.
While there, I knocked on the door / rang bell... nothing...

So then yesterday I get a message from her on my home phone, talk about where am I and I need to come out asap and if I can get there sometime around mid-day, she'll gladly pay me cash for the previous service and it needs cutting again...

That really threw me for a loop. I had given them the benefit of the doubt, but for her to call me on my home phone she had to look it up which means she had the information on where to send the check as well, and when I called her this morning, I mentioned as much.

This and that and again she mentions how she'll pay me CASH (yes emphasis) for the last cut and I said to her: Ma'am, if I come out to cut the grass, you owe me for the last cut and this cut as well.

This and that and blablabla and finally I said to her, my policy is real simple: No check, no cut. You've had enough time and now I'm supposed to come out and cut the grass again and I'm still out $35 no matter how you look at it.

So she says she'll call her husband and call me right back (yeah right)...

I guess this is another one that goes to collections but what bothers me is this:
I don't think I was wrong about this slow payer / fall-behind more and more over time thing, but even if I was, chances are...
Still, anytime I run into this crap, I realize I 'precipitate' the inevitable by saying what I said.
Is there a way to handle this nonsense, without precipitating for one, and still get paid ?
Please don't say go out there with the truck and get the money first...
Ok, that might work, but only sometimes and then I got the cost of the rig sitting, too... Not to mention they hold the money hostage, that would not be good lol...

Roger
06-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Why did you have reason to believe she would not pay you when you went to the house? The tone of your comments seems to indicate you will ONLY accept a check. What's wrong with cash?

From what you have said, and if I was the customer and got this story about "a policy," I would be left with one conclusion: This contractor is hard to work with, let's find somebody else.

Most likely, she and her husband came to the same conclusion.

There must be more to the story when your outcome is "going to collections."

topsites
06-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Well I cut the lawn 3 weeks ago and I haven't seen a check after I left the bill, thou she evidently did NOT misplace the bill because she HAD to have that much information in order to look up my home phone number. Then she calls not to talk so much about the fact that they're behind in payments, but more concerned about the next cut and the one after that... Lets not get into what I think of people who look up my home phone number to get a hold of me, it's not me who owes.

And the fact she's talking about when I come out, she'll pay me for the last time...?

Yes, there's more on top of this... ]
They're leaving on vacation here real soon and so they wanted me to cut it once while they're gone... So:
I will get paid for the first time IF I go out and cut it again...
Then they leave and I get to cut it a third time, and still I ain't got paid but one time and I had to wait 3 weeks for it?

Come on, how long is this man on a business trip...
Maybe I'm stupid but I've also been had before... The tactic of 'I got your money when you come out the next time' is well known to me, I've had that one pulled over my ears a few times, it's just a way they use to get you to come out again but over time they fall further and further behind... I nip this crap in the bud, when I come out again, you pay me for last time AND this time.
Besides, ALL my customers pay per cut, that's how it works.
So what makes these new customers so special, just because they live in fancy town?
Well, that's NOT fair to my trailer park customers!

But what would be fair is pay in advance, I bet THAT would've fixed it, I wouldn't have gotten the job but then I also wouldn't be out 35. As for why it's going to collections, I don't know, just call it experienced feelings.

dvmcmrhp52
06-29-2006, 12:43 AM
There's this thing called monthly billing.............

The husband probably does the bills, hence the offer of cash from her........

Do you deal with all customers on a weekly basis?

topsites
06-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Either way, what this post is about:

When you THINK you see a ripoff coming after you've already done some work, whether it's true or not, do YOU cut the grass again?
And how do you make sure you get paid, I was just reading some threads about guys falling 200-300 and 700+ behind before they finally caught on... If this is the answer, then I'll shoot myself in the foot some more lol.

All_Clear
06-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Do you deal with all customers on a weekly basis?

I do i get paid before i leave... No billing, No BS!

Only once in the last 3 yrs have i left a bill and it was paid within 3 days.

All Clear

All_Clear
06-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Either way, what this post is about:

When you THINK you see a ripoff coming after you've already done some work, whether it's true or not, do YOU cut the grass again?
And how do you make sure you get paid, I was just reading some threads about guys falling 200-300 and 700+ behind before they finally caught on... If this is the answer, then I'll shoot myself in the foot some more lol.

Nope even if i billed i wouldn't cut until i was paid... Then all future cuts are pre-pay only.... Take it or leave it....

All Clear

Freddy_Kruger
06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
and still get paid ?
Please don't say go out there with the truck and get the money first...
Ok, that might work, but only sometimes and then I got the cost of the rig sitting, too... Not to mention they hold the money hostage, that would not be good lol...
Some people just don't like to mail checks I think and I've considered putting stamps on their mail back envelopes, I have a few people that I just got their check last week and now I'm billing them again this week (this is for monthly bills).
I've had enough of some slow payers and it would be a good Idea to have polocys like you may to not do business with these people once identified. I mean they really are a pain in the a$$. Spend more time phoning them then I usually end up making a trip out there just to pick it up while I can, just because I want the money and I don't trust them to remember to mail it again.

There are good customers too, I just recieved a check for $192 for a lady who is going to the lake for a couple months they think of me not being inconvenienced. I could lose about a third of my customers and be happy.

6'7 330
06-29-2006, 01:16 AM
An overwhelming percentage of our clients pay by cc, no balance forward, or per cut,or service bull, the monthly bill is in advance of services performed, and if extra services are performed, CC is charged at day of service.

1MajorTom
06-29-2006, 01:28 AM

All Clear
wow, amazing, how in the heck do you do it? we have close to 100 accounts, and even though we do our best to show up on the same day and same time each week, sometimes the rain will get us behind... so you're telling me that your clients are always home no matter what time you show up to cut the grass? or are they leaving the check somewhere like under the door mat for you? our first year we went to the door to collect, it didn't work out for us at all. not only did we chew up LOTS of time making small talk with the customers, a lot of the times the customer wasn't even home.
billing monthly makes life easier for us.

Sandgropher
06-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Here its no cash no mow, its usually in the meter box, letter box or secret spot 2 forgot today so must train them better, going past tommorrow see what happens, i guess i should have rung the night before and reminded them being new they may have forgotten, if they forget tommorow, cancelled.

A couple of new ones in march said they could put the money in the bank

account because its risky to leave it, guess who is still waiting to get paid ?

If you dont get paid when you mow its a simple fact of life that you are going to have debtors, the only exception is long term cust you leave invoice but why? its easier for them to leave the money some where.

firefightergw
06-29-2006, 02:09 AM
An overwhelming percentage of our clients pay by cc, no balance forward, or per cut,or service bull, the monthly bill is in advance of services performed, and if extra services are performed, CC is charged at day of service.

Same here. Makes life so much easier.

garth1967
06-29-2006, 04:36 AM
Here its no cash no mow, its usually in the meter box, letter box or secret spot 2 forgot today so must train them better, going past tommorrow see what happens, i guess i should have rung the night before and reminded them being new they may have forgotten, if they forget tommorow, cancelled.

If you dont get paid when you mow its a simple fact of life that you are going to have debtors, the only exception is long term cust you leave invoice but why? its easier for them to leave the money some where.

i always organize cash on the first job. it gives me a bit of space to get to know the customer .then i like to organise payment in my account or mail if they become regular.i think its important to see if the customer is bona fide right off the bat

topsites
06-29-2006, 09:43 AM

Ok then I think this answers that part of the question... I won't argue I could've been wrong, it is possible, but why find out?
I even went ahead and tested this: Back in my 3rd year, I ran a test on purpose, just because I got tired of hearing all the folks telling me 'you cant tell a book by its cover...' I decided to go ahead and give 10 of these folks a chance, 10 of those where I thought (but not for sure) that something would likely go wrong. Guess what, guess how many of them took me? 9 out of those 10 took advantage of me.
Ever since then, I don't play with them much anymore.

I am thinking as for the other part, either run the co with an iron fist or don't.
I was kinda hoping there was some kind of solution when you're halfway sure someone isn't going to pay, but I've found the only thing that works is to put my foot down... Now they either pay, or I've just precipitated a non-payment issue (meaning now they REALLY don't pay but then, what's the difference?)

The worst part is always looking back, when you KNOW you shouldn't have took the job because the red flag(s) was there...
I guess that must be the part that's eating me lol, I dunno...

HOOLIE
06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Topsites you have almost as many problems as Bobby G...

If you have as many problems as you seem to, you're either making up stories or you need to make some changes in how you run your business...

Remsen1
06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I call it holding my money hostage.... and it's bull.

dvmcmrhp52
06-29-2006, 10:42 PM

All Clear

I guess that might work with ten accounts but it doesn't work when you're running a business.

topsites
06-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I call it holding my money hostage.... and it's bull.

Thank you.

I gave this a lot of thought because yes it does appear like I'm going down a road of no return here, zero tolerance in and of itself doesn't quite work in reality... So I have these 2-3 other customers, they also test me by controlling the schedule, another one also holds my money... It is, however, how it is phrased when we talk, they don't make me feel like I'm the lawn boy and they all do pay, the one who likes to pay eventually is another story but he's been with me since day 1 and he always eventually pays it all up...

Still it's not fair, but one also can not afford to lose every customer every time someone makes a mistake, I do like to say we have to give them SOME rope. In the case of this thread, her telling me how and when and where I'm going to get paid, that's very much like saying 'come hither boy.' And I think that's what did it because so long they don't make me feel like their boy and basically I get paid, I can tolerate it... It's not that I'm without tolerance, but figuratively putting your hand on my shoulder in a gesture that says 'bend over so I can ride you' is just not something I'm going to have.

And again, you're calling me 20 days after you got the bill to tell me I need to come out again and you'll NOW pay me for the LAST time but not for this time? Well shoot, either way I look at it I'm out $35 so why even bother, who's to say I'll get paid for last time for sure? Ohhhh yes, she would've paid because they're leaving on vacation and they'll need another cut then: $70 out, what's next, when they come back I can come out for the 4th time and they'll pay me for the 2nd time?
Geez, 70 bucks now and we're done.

p.s.: I do suspect this was a craigslist customer, because that would explain things... Still don't make it right thou...

dvmcmrhp52
06-29-2006, 11:19 PM
p.s.: I do suspect this was a craigslist customer, because that would explain things... Still don't make it right thou...

I'm confused.
What exactly does it explain?
She offered you payment, you refused.
You apparently don't do normal billing so I'm not sure what your expectations are.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-30-2006, 12:31 AM
first off, you cant bill weekly and expect payment 5 days later, 90% of my clients that i bill for lawns or anything in that matter pay very slowly or on their own schedule. I state now on the contracts and bills, payment must be received within 7 business days of invoice since its not a suprise bill, they know its comming since they did not pay for services on the spot.

Was the lady NOT going to pay you $70 cash for both cuts? i understand the "cash" emphasis, i have had customers stress CASH like they want a huge discount, ill discount tax or whatnot or if its a big cash job a percentage...

Ive told people ill do some work for $135. The guy comes right back with, how about $100 CASH!, im like no i said $135.. buddy its actually $135.00 plus 6% NJ state sales tax so thats almost 40% price difference.

Roger
06-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Opposite extreme ...

Today, within one hour, two separate instances:

1. A lady gives me a signed check with no amounts. "You figure out what I owe, and write in the amount."

2. I mowed twice for a lady as vacation cover. She called a few weeks ago with the dates, I did the work the past two weeks. Today, when in the neighborhood, she came down the street to meet me, with her checkbook. Her invoice had not yet reached her mailbox (should have been there yesterday). "How much?" We had not discussed charges for the two mowings when she asked for the mowings. I told her, and she rounded up about $10 and wrote the check for an even amount.

Many threads have been posted on LS about difficult customer relations. Without doing an objective count and analysis, it seems that most threads speak about "hard, firm policy," and the customer hasn't complied. Many other threads deal with the LCO and dealer relationship. Again, the complaints from the LCOs often stem from "hard, firm policy" matters from the dealer.

Are there lessons to be learned?

Also, if $35.00 "goes to collections," I wonder if the time spent chasing the $35.00 would be better spent in generating $100.00, $200.00, $500.00, ... worth of business elsewhere. If there is time to chase $35, the workload must be light and there are many more dollars of sales waiting to be secured.

For me, I would rather work and earn another $200.00 than to spend the time chasing $35.00. Yea, yea ... one can talk about principle, fairness, respect, etc. But, those matters only soothe the bruised ego, and don't help to pay for business expenses.

The grass cutter is well down on the pole of priorities for most residential customers. People easily understand the mowing business is easy in/easy out, little skill, no training or education, very little invested capital to start, and the list goes on. For every cutter that tries to be pushy, there is another one to be called to mow the grass the next week. For most homeowners, grass cutters are a "dime a dozen," so to speak. There is little reason to be loyal to a cutter, and little reason to be cornered by some "hard, firm policy."

Cornwell
06-30-2006, 12:56 AM
I sure do like what Roger had to say. If I spent as much time ranting and raving about some customer I can't get along with I think I would have to do 2 things, check myself and make sure the accounts are ones worth having.

I use many methods of recieving money one of which is a lock box on my garage wall for any customers to drop off payment. It works pretty good and I haven't had many customers not pay, maybe slow pay but not dead beats.

Pick your customers, run your business don't let your business run you!!!!!!

cantoo
06-30-2006, 01:08 AM
If someone wanted me to write out four checks a month for $35 each I would be looking for a new guy too. I agree with the guys who say collecting after every cut is okay for 10 customers but impossible for any more. My wife cuts around 40 or 50 lawns a week there is no way she would ever be done if she had to go to the door for payment. Billing is done monthly by mail. We do have regular customers who pay "cash" but we prefer using checks and mail instead. This makes for very few payment problems or mistakes. It's also much easier to do the books this way. If I am helping her and a customer comes out wanting to pay, I tell them right away the bill will be in the mail I have nothing to do with it. Again if your cutting 10 lawns then I guess you just wait at the door and stuff it in your pocket.

Remsen1
07-01-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't think the point of this post is about billing practices or lack thereof. It's the fact that this customer is setting the terms for being one payment behind for as long as the customer wishes. Now for those who bill monthly it would be like having a customer who still hasn't paid May's bill and say they will pay it when they receive June's bill. Meaning they will always be 1 PAYMENT behind, also meaning that after the last month of the season they can throw your last bill in the trash and forget that you ever existed and then find somebody new to do it to next year. Topsite's issue is, when do you either write the customer off and cut your losses, or get hard nosed and demand payment in full (also risking losing a deadbeat customer or on the flip of that if the customer is not really a deadbeet they payup thus starting a fair relationship that both the lowly lawnboy and the customer can live with). Topsite's, my advice is to play along while your on the phone with customer and up until you receive the amount due, then ask them to get current, and if they won't, then say "see ya" and leave your stuff on the trailer and drive away. Since the vibe that I am getting is that this customer would like to stiff you, I would only work when paid for this customer. If they can't pay right then and there, then no service, let them screw the next guy. You can tell when you get that vibe, on the other hand I have other customers that I could go without seeing them or hearing from them and not worry cause when they get their bill, they'll pay it promptly. Most of the time you can tell this about somebody after only speaking to them for a few minutes.

Up North
07-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Pretty simple solution IMO. Go out and get your money and if you're not happy about how they pay, or you have a bad feeling about the customer and don't want to continue servicing them then tell them to find someone else. The customer doesn't run your business, you do, or should.

Buck

anj
07-01-2006, 06:30 AM
I Have A Client I Did Once In May And I Just Got Paid In July For May And The Cut She Wants Now. Mind You I Have Not Been Back Since Then. I Know The Grass Is High And She Wants Me To Come Do It Again For The Regular Price. What Do You Do? I Have Another Client That Owes Me $100 Dollars. I Cut Her Lawn Three Times Without Payment = $150. I Didnt Go Back For Two Weeks And She Calls And Says The Check Is In The Mail And To Come By. So I Go By And Do The Lawn And She Give Me A Check For $100 For The Cut I Just Did And A Cut In Advance, Mind You I Still Have Not Seen The 150.00 Check Yet. I Invoice All My Clients For The Service That Day. If I Dont Get A Check Before The Next Visit They Dont Get Cut. All Of My Residential Props. Are Twice A Month So I Think That Is Fair.

bigjeeping
07-01-2006, 08:11 AM
i accept cash with open arms

ftgulal
07-01-2006, 08:31 AM
I don't have time to chase each cutomer, each time I mow. And if you go and don't cut it the next time, due to non payment. When you go the 3rd or 4th week after they pay, you will spend 2x's as long for the same money. Or they will find someone else. So is it really worth it to be such a hardball about this. Monthly billing has worked great for me.

Charles
07-01-2006, 09:28 AM
I Have A Client I Did Once In May And I Just Got Paid In July For May And The Cut She Wants Now. Mind You I Have Not Been Back Since Then. I Know The Grass Is High And She Wants Me To Come Do It Again For The Regular Price. What Do You Do? I Have Another Client That Owes Me $100 Dollars. I Cut Her Lawn Three Times Without Payment = $150. I Didnt Go Back For Two Weeks And She Calls And Says The Check Is In The Mail And To Come By. So I Go By And Do The Lawn And She Give Me A Check For $100 For The Cut I Just Did And A Cut In Advance, Mind You I Still Have Not Seen The 150.00 Check Yet. I Invoice All My Clients For The Service That Day. If I Dont Get A Check Before The Next Visit They Dont Get Cut. All Of My Residential Props. Are Twice A Month So I Think That Is Fair.

"The check is in the mail". saying is the first sign of a dead beat. I would not have cut it again until I recieved that 150$ check.
I mow and if they are at home they pay me. If not, I leave a bill. I must recieve that payment before mowing again. Now some have built up credit with me after having worked for them a long period of time and they are allowed to be slack sometimes--but no more than 2 payments behind. I won't wait until the grass gets high before I am at their door and/or calling them. I would not let them stay one check behind continously either. Thats my money and it should be in my bank..

topsites
07-01-2006, 09:42 AM
If someone wanted me to write out four checks a month for $35 each I would be looking for a new guy too. I agree with the guys who say collecting after every cut is okay for 10 customers but impossible for any more. My wife cuts around 40 or 50 lawns a week there is no way she would ever be done if she had to go to the door for payment. Billing is done monthly by mail.

There are some of you who got it, the rest of you are missing the point.

Let me say it again: I really don't give a rat how you pay, but what you as a customer do NOT do is tell me HOW and WHEN I'm going to get paid, you do NOT, as a customer, even THINK of putting your hand on the rudder of my ship, you do NOT ride me, I am not your employee and you are not my boss. You do NOT hold my money hostage, you do NOT say when or how things are to be done, this you do not control as a customer, I own this company and not you.

Now if y'all don't see that then you're either new, or an employee-based company where you can talk all this trash while sitting smug in the office since your boys get to take the treatment from the customer... But as a solo Lco, I will not stand for the 'come hither little lawn boy' treatment.

Because I don't give brand-new customers a lot of rope. I keep brand-new ones on a real short leash, you ever seen a training leash for a dog? You got it, that short, and for the same reason.

See this (READ IT):

Was the lady NOT going to pay you $70 cash for both cuts?

That's RIGHT she was only going to pay 35 for the LAST cut while I get to go out to cut it AGAIN so no matter what, I'm still out 35 because she won't pay the full 70 dollars for both cuts !!!! And yes, this is why I think she was placing the emphasis on CASH, figuring if she just flaunted some CASH in my face, that me being as dumb as every redneck Lco out there would fall for the trick while slobbering all over myself and RUN right over there for the lousy 35 bucks for the PREVIOUS cut and then like an idiot cut the lawn AGAIN but not get paid for that...

Think about it, you got the money to pay me for last time and you need me to come out again, right? Well, then since you're home and your hubby is constantly out on business trips, now that we caught up to you, please be so kind and pay up. I'm not asking that you pay for the cut you want when you go on vacation, but I am ASKING that you pay the FULL balance due and if I have to cut the grass when I go by there to get my money, well gawlee you might as well pay for that cut as well, don't you think?

IF per chance I get that original $35 check in the mail in the next FEW days, then I will suspect that I may have been wrong... Now that they know I am anal about getting paid, IF they send the check pronto while they went off and hired someone else, then I will know I likely lost out... I'll keep you informed, I am almost sure this will not be the case, but no, I'm not always right.

topsites
07-01-2006, 10:05 AM
"The check is in the mail". saying is the first sign of a dead beat. I would not have cut it again until I recieved that 150$ check.
I mow and if they are at home they pay me. If not, I leave a bill. I must recieve that payment before mowing again. Now some have built up credit with me after having worked for them a long period of time and they are allowed to be slack sometimes--but no more than 2 payments behind. I won't wait until the grass gets high before I am at their door and/or calling them. I would not let them stay one check behind continously either. Thats my money and it should be in my bank..

That's my whole point.

I do agree with the rest of the guys, it isn't worth fighting over but at the same rate, don't break my rules. *I* don't break my own rules, so don't you do it, either. This isn't 'oh well since I am the owner it is ok to break the rules...' Because it's not ok, it's not at all ok for the owner to break the rules, even if we can, we don't do that.

As for the lawnboy's bill not being high on the priorities list, say what?
I can deal with being lower than these:
- Mortgage / Rent, Electric, phone, groceries. To some extent clothes, a basic car and minimum liability insurance.
These are basic needs, you need to have these and I can see where a service like mine does not take priority. You can even put dog food or the dog's rabies shot ahead of me as something your family needs first.

I am NOT lower than these, if anything I'm on the same level:
- The cable / sat. tv, the car payment and / or more than basic insurance payments, the hair stylist and no you can NOT put the vet bill for the dog's monthly checkup ahead of me.
These are all luxuries, commercial lawn care is also a luxury.
On that note, living in a fancy neighborhood won't help the customer in these cases.

If you put even those ahead of me, I will let you know your mistake. And this is why I chase, call it principle or what, I call it educating the customers out there who think this way that Lco's are NOT the lowest denominator. We may not be a basic need, we may fall lower on the list of absolute priorities, but we do NOT take last place, we do NOT fall any further down than any other luxury that either you can afford it or you can't, but if you can't afford it then don't hire us because we will take you down for not paying.

Maybe the reason there exist as many folks out there who just don't pay is because a LOT of Lco's do nothing!
I honestly DO suspect this is the case in more than a few instances where a customer just looks at me all smug and 'informs' me that they're not paying, just nice as can be, like lalala and what are you going to do about it?
Maybe the reason there are as many folks out there who DO pay is because guys like me still get the message out!
I'm just glad the majority of people out there are not like that, most people do pay, that is nice.

SWD
07-01-2006, 10:47 AM
My billing process is at end of month.
You have net 10 for my receiving the funds and logging it in to my system.
If the payment is late, then next bill includes late fees.
Provided no payment received with-in 20 days and there has been no contact - then all service stops immediately.
I have suffered through the come hither lawn boy bull crap and will not tolerate towards my employees either.
I constantly receive comments on the late fees and my reply is always the same, I am a business - if you are late with a cc payment, isn't there a late fee - well my company is no different.
The vast majority of my clients prefer my billing practices, apparently they appreciate a well run service.
Concerning the late or no payer's, if previous arrangements haven't been made then after the second suspension of service notice then the contract is terminated for failure to pay for services.

ProStreetCamaro
07-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I swear to god if you guys worked here in MD you wouldnt have any customers. Around here you leave bill at end of month and wait for it to come in. Try to charge a late fee and kiss your @$$ BYE BYE as they call up Julio, Juan or Chavez to do there lawn. Also there is no getting paid after every cut. That **** wont fly here so those of you that get away with it concider yourself lucky. I would say about 70% of our customers pay with in 2 weeks of receiveing the bill and 20% by the end of the month and the rest we end up leaving a bill for 2 months and have to knock on the door and they pay us on the spot for the 2 months they owe.