PDA

View Full Version : Two Quotes For The Job......

Sandgropher
06-29-2006, 02:30 AM
How many people are giving two quotes on the job as lately i have been giving
2 prices a cheap one and one about double.

I will give you an example, today a girl rang up for a price to mow lawn and tidy up gardens for a rent inspection.

I look at it and figured $100 to mow and weed garden beds or $50 to mow and whipper snip weeds in garden beds, she wasnt home but is going to discuss with boy friend tonight, she realises one will be perfect and one will get pass the inspection, who else has done this ?? normally i would jusy say $100 but these type of people dont own the home so they try and save money.

I believe by just saying $100 she may have said i will let you know (and get another quote) by giving them another option it gives them some thing to discuss and they forget about ringing others. is this a good idea ???

Rayholio
06-29-2006, 03:03 AM
95% chance -she won't call you back..

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.

Give the customer 1 price, the price for the services that they want / need.. If you don't know what those needs are, then you have more work to do. Determine the best service for the customer in conversation before committing to a quote...

establish a repore as best you can with the "how are you today?" and "you have a beautiful home" conversations and then try to determine what they expect of you. Don't assume... verify.

LCO: (Probe for info) - "You mentioned that you were unhappy with your last lawn care provider, did they weed your beds? and was that portion of their performance acceptable"

Cust: (listen) - "They missed lots of weeds, but my beds Arne't the most important thing to me"

LCO: (Verify) - "So, would you be ok with us just cutting the weeds in the beds with our weed eaters as opposed to pulling them by hand? ... it could save you a few dollars"

Cust: (now you know) "Yeah, I think that would be just fine."

See, the thing is that you can almost NEVER successfully sale a customer if you don't know what their needs are.

When you give them an alternative service option, it causes them to lose confidence in you as a professional, and it confuses them, no matter how simple the option is.

So, my advice is to get to know your customers a little better, and have more confidence in what your offering. Think of yourself as a consultant, not a sales person. Determine the customers needs, and then offer solutions.

Sorry.. I know this is long, but it's something that took me a while to figure out, and I hope it helps...

Sandgropher
06-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Yes there are good points here but like most of my causal customers i dont get to meet them for simple jobs such as this, they are at work ( they phone)if they like the price they leave the money for me, she wants me to do it but needs to discuss which option suits them best,( with boy friend) it good to find out if they were happy or not with they last lawnie but i find most rent inspects your the first trades person they have met, anyway there are good ideas here and good tips for when meeting with customers... i will see what moneys there in the morning.payup

Rayholio
06-29-2006, 10:44 AM
I used to leave prices for customers and such.. everyone is busy like you say... but I stopped doing that, My sales % went up over 200% when I started insisting on meeting customers in person. Makes all the difference in the world. just a thought.. :)

Sandgropher
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I used to leave prices for customers and such.. everyone is busy like you say... but I stopped doing that, My sales % went up over 200% when I started insisting on meeting customers in person. Makes all the difference in the world. just a thought.. :)

Yes it helps when you meet some one face to face you get a better understanding of what they want done to, my work area is up to 20 km radius and if the ones furtherest ring and want a quote for a lawn i prefer to try and give them a price on the phone saves going out and back for nothing some times and if it sounds like say a $30 lawn i tell them to leave $50 in a hiding spot and i will leave change if theres any, i have 2 tommorow that are leaving the money ie$50 if there is any suprises i dont do, just ring and give them the quote, but so far it has work out o.k. if the jobs close i go and see them in person.

cantoo
06-29-2006, 11:28 PM
We give options most of the time. If they call back, fine, if not who cares they will be more.

topsites
06-29-2006, 11:41 PM
I've done it before but I didn't give them both prices...

When I was not sure what they wanted (because I can do both the great or the crappy service), I asked them: Regular or Super?
(and be ready to provide a short explanation). Now if they don't know which one they want, you can always start with the regular and upgrade later (but watch it, some jobs you can not do it {like mulch, once down it's done}).

It's not something I do much anymore, everybody gets the same thing, it helps keep things simple but it did help gain a customer here or there where with my current method, more say no.