PDA

View Full Version : Anybody has a frontal deck?

Bolton
06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm looking to get a new mower. I've tried a Kubota F3680 with a 72'' deck. My question: is the frontal deck more efficient than a ZTR? Is anybody here own a frontal deck? The one I tried is fantastic!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/AndersenF/Bb025.jpg

rodfather
06-29-2006, 05:36 PM
The biggest advantage of having a front mounted deck is the ability to get under low lying tree limbs, branches, and bushes. We have 3 front mounted deck machines (Toros) and Z's as well. They both have their advantages and disadvantages IMO.

We have a 14 acre Christmas tree farm that we do every other week and I can tell ya the front mounted decks make it so much easier being able to mow under the low lying limbs.

puppypaws
06-29-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm looking to get a new mower. I've tried a Kubota F3680 with a 72'' deck. My question: is the frontal deck more efficient than a ZTR? Is anybody here own a frontal deck? The one I tried is fantastic!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/AndersenF/Bb025.jpgThat is a very nice looking machine how well does it ride?

jwscroll
06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Have a 72" Front Deck 1145 John Deere 4x4 that we use for thick turf and rough terrain. Biggest diference is the JD Ztrac has a belt that drives the blades whereas the 1145 has a shaft drive.

Bolton
06-30-2006, 01:11 PM
It runs very fast. Contrarely to ZTR's, you can drive it at max speed and get a nice job. You can also climb rough terrain. I'm thinking to trade a Kubota ZTR and get this frontal with a grass catcher. I have one on a ZTR but it works very bad. Next week will be the good one.

Mowingman
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
That Kubota will wear your arms out with that steering wheel. I rented one once, and hated it after the first hour.
If you want a real front-deck ZTR, look at the Grasshoppers. They by far the best front-deck machine on the market. They were building front-deck ZTR's before a lot of these other mower manufacturers were even in business.
You can get several models of Grasshopper machines that use the Kubota diesel for power.
That Kubota is old technology. Any current model/brand of front-deck will outperform that antique. As a Grasshopper dealer, I am partial to them, but Exmark also has a new front-deck you should look at.

P & L Turf
06-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I used to run a john deere like that. I loved it. You can use those things year round.

bdboss
07-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Look into Walkers also...love all of mine...would never run any other ZTR

zak406
07-01-2006, 04:40 PM
My school uses thos exact machines. They dont seem to disperse well but that may be due to the fact my highschool doesn't care what it looks like.

bigshoe
07-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I actually like the front mounts better then a Z just because of the trim aspect of them, They defiantly are not as quick to turn but they do cut great and you can cut in high gear and with the hydro transmission you can back up quick enough to be able to cut bigger lots quickly. They also are fairly descent on hill sides where a Z would slide a lot more in my opinion.

This is one of the tractors we us at work it is a New Holland Mc 28 4wd front mount 60" rear discharge deck.
http://www.newholland.com/h4/products/feature_image.asp?Reg=NA&RL=ENNA&sPath=%2FFILES%2Ftbl%5Fs55FeatureItems%2FImage429%2F1248%2FMC22%2D00505%5Fw%2Ejpg sorry the pic did not work so here is a link.

David Haggerty
07-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Actually I've not run a ZTR. Always had the front deck Toro's. Couldn't see where a ZTR would be an improvement. I bought one once, but it was a 48" with no deck overhang, so it wouldn't trim for anything. So it never made it onto the trailer before I sold it.
You eleminate a lot of trimming with the front deck mower. Plus they're more stable.

Dave

Andyinchville
07-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I had a front mount (JD 1145) and now we run nothing but Ferris 3000's....Front mount was good but Z's for us are much better....

viking72
07-02-2006, 05:08 AM
Most golf courses use rear steer/front mount machines from TORO, and a few in this area are starting to use JD.
I have used both and find them very efficient.

ranger351w
07-02-2006, 07:25 AM
:) I have two front mount grasshoppers and hope to not have to own any other brand. The 48"616 is a 1997model and while it has the older deck it does a very good job unless it is wet. The 725k 61" is a different story and is an animal. It will cut in rain or wet grass and do a great job non clog and no clumps. Leaves a golf course finish.It has the G2 drive system which is unbelievable in power and ease of use. I even use the deck to push things out of the way. They say the newer system is even better. No problems with either machine and use them every day in lawn service. Pricey though worth it.
My story and I'm sticking to it . but thats just me.:drinkup:

A.S.D.S. Mowing

MaineStriper
07-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Our company runs 9 front mounts, 5 walkers and 4 new navigators. We run them all year long, we bag everything so they all do awesome. we had a 61 diesel grasshopper with the bagger that we used for a 2 acre field of a hotel and the sports fields for the local high school. It was so big and lunky, it did not work on hills at all. We moved over to an exmark 56" with a bagger and it handles it just the same

aussiegreg
08-03-2006, 08:24 PM
It runs very fast. Contrarely to ZTR's, you can drive it at max speed and get a nice job. You can also climb rough terrain. I'm thinking to trade a Kubota ZTR and get this frontal with a grass catcher. I have one on a ZTR but it works very bad. Next week will be the good one.

G'day Bolton,

So how did it go the next week???

What other ZTR's do you use or have tried especially considering that you said that the Out front could mow faster. What about on rougher and/or undulating ground, does the deck rise up or does it stay on the ground??

Greg