PDA

View Full Version : "burned" grass from ztr weight?

Ramairfreak98ss
06-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Last week when i cut lawns during the day, my riders rear wide tires where they ran over the grass in multiple yards, left "burnt" marks in the grass. This was on several lawns in NJ. Its not where i turned or stopped and ONLY from the rear large drive tires path. Its back and forth pattens in the various yards when i cut them.

Could this be because these lawns were too dry, too hot out? time of day?
My mower is 1000lbs , a 61" deck ferris 1000z, has about 10" wide drive tires.

ProStreetCamaro
06-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Last week when i cut lawns during the day, my riders rear wide tires where they ran over the grass in multiple yards, left "burnt" marks in the grass. This was on several lawns in NJ. Its not where i turned or stopped and ONLY from the rear large drive tires path. Its back and forth pattens in the various yards when i cut them.

Could this be because these lawns were too dry, too hot out? time of day?
My mower is 1000lbs , a 61" deck ferris 1000z, has about 10" wide drive tires.

Heavy mower on a dry lawn in the heat and drought of summer can cause that. But after the rains the last couple days I suspect that problem will go away very shortly. :laugh:

ed2hess
06-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Heavy mower on a dry lawn in the heat and drought of summer can cause that. But after the rains the last couple days I suspect that problem will go away very shortly. :laugh:
It don't go away on southern grasses, does it really come back on northern grasses? Our tracks stay the rest of the year unfortunately. Only happens on yards that are not irrigated and they aren't going to pour the water to them after we track them. Tried telling people when grass is dry and warn them but that don't work. They always say " I have been watering it".

REALSLOW
06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
That is why I only use the big riders on large properties where I just blow them out, I swear you can make more money on smaller properties dealing with people who have money and want a great cut so I keep a few Hydro walk behinds in the wings to eliminate problems like this. I will give up my 60 super Z before my midsizes!!!

john_incircuit
06-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Not only the large mowers make tracks on dry grass. Our 120 pound Honda 21 does it as well.

John

perfectlawncare
07-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Thats the only reason why I use my Dixie Chopper. When its really dry or wet the tires dont mat the grass down. I wish my Hustler had them.

ProStreetCamaro
07-01-2006, 11:24 AM
It don't go away on southern grasses, does it really come back on northern grasses? Our tracks stay the rest of the year unfortunately. Only happens on yards that are not irrigated and they aren't going to pour the water to them after we track them. Tried telling people when grass is dry and warn them but that don't work. They always say " I have been watering it".

Actually up here the lawns that were yellow and dormant last week are now bright green and growing like normal again after our 3 days of monsoon rains. We got over 10" in 3 days time and the lawns look wonderful again! :cool2:

PLM-1
07-01-2006, 12:04 PM
That is the reason I don't really care for turf tires. My bar-tread tires don't do that.

befnme
07-02-2006, 11:40 PM
i have chevron tires and havent had a problem

touhey33
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
From what i've researched and read its from your tires picking up a fungus on the lawn and spreading it. I've seen it happen with little 21" tires.

TLS
07-27-2006, 10:13 PM
150 Degree tires, on heat stressed turf.....it happens.