PDA

View Full Version : advance prep of patio base

kp2171
06-30-2006, 01:37 AM
can a road base/road dust patio base be compacted several days in advance of laying down the bedding sand and bricks? problem if it rains?

have a big project (for me) and itd be nice to compact the road base layers over the weekend and be able to come back next weekend to finish, but im worried about a thunderstorm passing though and dumping water into the area.

fishinpa
06-30-2006, 07:25 AM
You may want to try re-posting this up in the "Hardscaping" forum. You'll probably have better results getting an answer there.

Dreams To Designs
06-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Basing early is a good thing and if it installed properly and the rains come, it will compact it and tighten it further. The rain may also show any low spots or drainage issues that can be addresses before the bedding sand and pavers are installed.

Kirk

tylermckee
06-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Rain isnt going to hurt it any, and like said above rain is natures compactor. think about a beach, drive on the dry sand and you'll probably get stuck, drive closer to the water and the sand is packed together very tight and you'll have no problem. With that said, leave it, just come back and check it and do any fine tuning to your base before you lay your sand.

kp2171
06-30-2006, 11:00 AM
thanks for the replies.

i thought i could do this ahead, and i knew some water would help compact it. i just know im not likely to be full of steam and energy after moving 18 tons of road dust and compacting, so having some time in between laying the patio will be good.