PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Titans Fan
06-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I have a Scag Tiger Cub (48", 19 Kaw) with 656 hours on it and it is 3 years old.

I'm looking to get a Exmark 60" 25 HP Kohler.

My local dealer is offering me $4000 on trade.

I'm on the fence. I know that my Scag is getting to the point (hour-wise) that things can start going wrong quickly.

And I know that if I'm going to trade, I'm at a point where my Scag is going to lose value soon if I don't.

Do you guys think that his offer is a good one?

MarcSmith
06-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I know that my Scag is getting to the point (hour-wise) that things can start going wrong quickly.

650 hours and your afraid of big stuff to start going wrong??? I doubt you'd see any problems until you get to the 1500-1800 hours mark, which by your current rate of use is 3-4 years away....

4k does seem like a good price though...just make sure he's not jacking the price on the exmark.

I have a 61" and a 52" scag tigers'...and the 52 is by far a more productive machine. we have some tight areas and soem areas that have some slopes and swales. You haveto be real careful with the 61 not to gouge or scalp, where as teh 52 you don't have to think about what you are doing as much (if that makes any sense)

If it were me....I would not get rid of the scag so early in its life...

ThirdDay
06-30-2006, 09:30 AM
650 hours on a true commercial mower like scag is basically just beyong the break in period....unless you don't take care of it.

I would save my money for now unless you need the bigger machine. If that's the case, $4000 sounds real reasonable for your trade.

rodfather
06-30-2006, 04:28 PM
4 grand for that machine??? Are you crazy? Take that deal real quick before he changes his mind!!! I got $4000 on a Ferris 1000 with a 23 hp kawi and 61" deck with just 310 hours recently on a trade in.

MarcSmith
06-30-2006, 07:10 PM
rod

4k is a great price, but it all depends on what he' marking up the exmark.....Hes marking up the exmark 2k, then your selling you scag for 2k... salesmen can be sneaky SOB's they liek to play games with the numbers. Hell we to soem extent play games with the numbers....

Liek when you go into a car lot to trade in your 87 cavalier and the guy gives you ten grand for it.... but marks up the new car 6K and bumps the intrest rate to 18%. ..aint so much of deal any more...

Just pay real close attention to the numbers....and don't get hoodwinked....

rodfather
06-30-2006, 09:18 PM
oh you are exactly 100% correct Marc.

jaybird
06-30-2006, 09:50 PM
you are talking about being pencil whipped.

Titans Fan
07-01-2006, 07:49 AM
The price on the mower is in line. I checked with a couple of other dealers.

Thanks for your input!

Now I must decide between a 52" or a 60" Lazer with a 25HP Kohler.

I know that the smaller cut deck will make a prettier cut, but could some of you 60" cutters lend me some insight into the quality of cut with a bigger deck!

Thnx!