PDA

View Full Version : Help with bidding

wmtom
06-30-2006, 05:38 PM
I am putting together a bid for redoing a parking lot. It is not asphalt it will be white lime stone. Total sq.ft. is close to 89,000. I plan on using a cat d3 dozer, a cat roller 66", deere ct322 with a 78" bucket and a 6 way dozer blade and a water truck. The parking lot has a lot of wash out, low areas and pot holes. There are a few high areas in the corners I will knock them down. Then bring in the new lime stone I estimated around 1000-1200 tons. How long do y'all think it will take to do and what would be a good bid for the job not counting the price of the lime stone. If I knew how to attach pictures I would show the parking lot. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mike Thomas

ma5tr
06-30-2006, 06:33 PM
hi mike,

It sounds like there is already a existing base and you are just going to put some more aggregare down to fill up low spots, level out and make a decent appearance. I calculated that you will me putting down approx 2.5" of material. Its hard to say how long you will take because all companies are different. Operator experience will be a HUGE factor in this as well as machine size. That lot is about 2 acres. 1 day for prep(i.e working with existing material on site, leveling off areas etc....) and one day to add ne material and 1 day(MAX) to tamp deal with other stuff etc...) Its really hard for me to say, but that is what I would estimate. And instead of screenings why dont you use a clear gravel (1/2" or 3/4") It would be cleaner but the material would be a little more.

sounds like a fun machine project!! Have fun!

wmtom
06-30-2006, 07:38 PM
This project is on Perdido Key Florida which is by Pensacola. The only rock allowed on the Key is white. Does anyone know how to post pictures.

Mike Thomas

Squizzy246B
06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a three day job with operator and labourer. You need a hand organising dump trucks, keeping clean around the edges, operating the laser etc etc. I'd be real happy if I got it done in three day. We recently did one larger with crushed limestone and roadbase, and it took three days with Loader, Skid, and 8 tonne roller with two operators and one labourer. It depends a lot on the shape of the area.

tylermckee
06-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Like the others i would say 3 days, day one you can come in and level things out get your sub base ready, then you could probably start hauling rock in later that day. Good truck drives that know how to spread dump will makes things go much smoother. one operator and a labourer, the labourer could hop on the roller when he's not busy doing something else. Forgot to ask how far away is your pit, and how many trucks can you get?

wmtom
06-30-2006, 11:34 PM
The rock company said they will have 4 or 5 trucks available. I have talked with some people wome say you want to grade 2 inches high then pack it in and some say 1 inch when working with lime stone. any thoughts.

Mike Thomas

ma5tr
07-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Your ABSOLUTELY fine to compact in a 2" lift with the size of compaction equipment you will be running. Doing it twice wouyld be a waste of time and money.
The only problem that I can see you having with the 3 day time constraint is the deliveries. I think you will be getting somewhere in the 40 tria-axle truck loads of material. Like others have posted I hope there is a pit near by. The best option that I have thought of for you to do is hire a trucking company for the day and have them do the runs to the pit for you. If you can get your hands on a big enough trucking company they will probably lend you a fleet of 8 trucks for the day. It will probably be your best bet to finish the work in 3 days. The pit will more than likely have other orders to fullfill at the same time, thus not being able to meet your demands.

ksss
07-01-2006, 10:00 PM
One substitution I would make would be to probably loose the dozer (unless its yours and your not using for anything else) and add a grader. Much faster and much cleaner finish.

Scag48
07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
You'd break your neck having to back drag with that dozer all day. Get a grader (and an operator if need be) and save yourself some headaches.

murray83
07-02-2006, 11:31 AM
the grader would blow his budget most likely.

tylermckee
07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
You'd break your neck having to back drag with that dozer all day. Get a grader (and an operator if need be) and save yourself some headaches.
solution - Don't back drag. its a little tough with such a small dozer like a d3 because its so damn jumpy, but a good operator shouldnt need to backdrag unless he's pulling material out of a corner or something.

Dirty Water
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
solution - Don't back drag. its a little tough with such a small dozer like a d3 because its so damn jumpy, but a good operator shouldnt need to backdrag unless he's pulling material out of a corner or something.

What about track marks? Backdragging prevents that. I always ran equipment (dozers, push blades on excavators etc) forward to cut, and reverse to grade.

tylermckee
07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Grade it all then backblade over it once to knock down your track marks. Ive always ran forward to do all my grading then i might backdrag my way out.

Scag48
07-02-2006, 03:56 PM
That's what I meant, grade it out going forward, then backdrag to clear your track marks. Usually if you're working in small lift of hard material, the grousers won't completely sink into the material, but you'll still need to backdrag if you're using a dozer.

ksss
07-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't know what a blade goes for down there, but up here it is about $90.00 an hour considering the time savings and improved quality I don't think having a blade on the job for even a day (should be much less unless there are complex grade issues) would go over budget.

gammon landscaping
07-03-2006, 01:35 AM
i would agree that a grader would be a better option than a dozer. and with a dozer you should always go forward to grade and only back drag to get materail out of corners. i wouldn't worry much about the tracks the roller will straighten them out. i would prep day one then i agree get a large trucking company to bring the rock in have them start spreading in the back and start fixing it as you work your way to the entrance. seems like a neat project good luck

Gravel Rat
07-03-2006, 02:08 AM
For spreading large areas a grader and a good operator can do the job far quicker than a bulldozer ever can. A bulldozer is a bull in a china shop compared to a grader.

If you have a rubber tired backhoe you can move and rough grade the material then have the grader do the fine spreading and finish grade.

Once the grader is done start rolling it with a viberatory roller when the low spots appear take the backhoe and fill in the low spots back blade it and compact it.

You look at any paving company all they use is a grader usually mini graders a small scale machine. Bulldozers should be left for doing rough grade and pushing not trying to finish grade a parking lot.

ksss
07-03-2006, 02:58 AM
GR I agree 100%. When we do large asphalt prep we use a skid steer to get it close, bring in a blade. We did a large storage unit complex last month. I had 10 hours on a blade and a day and half on the 95XT and Vibromax roller. We laid out 550 yards of road base. I bid job (asphalt prep portion) at $5500.00 for labor and equipment time. It was very complex, easily the most difficult I had done. Owner did not want any more drains. We put in three and needed at least two more.

wmtom
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
how do you post pictures I have some of the job site.

Mike Thomas

janb
07-04-2006, 07:04 PM
how do you post pictures I have some of the job site.Mike Thomas
I'm no pro... but as per FAQ ""You may also find that the administrator has enabled smilies, which allow you to use small icons to convey emotion, and the [img] code, which allows you to add pictures to your message.""

so... I use a photo hosting site (photobucket, tripod...) then it will offer you an "[img]" link, as per
{IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/jboldt/melroe_multiwheel.jpg[/IMG}

(note the ' [ ' changed to a ' { ' - front and rear of url to allow this code to display, rather than show you the pic)

or another option (nice for those with slow 'dial-up' systems...like me) is to just post the url to your photo site, and that gives reader the choice to see or not, rather than cluttering up the post with some 'mega' files.

hint... save out pics to web hosting site sized to less than 100k each (30-70Kb seems to be adequate for most 'informational' posts)