PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever quit a contract halfway through the season?

robby
07-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I live in a condo community where we have around 20 buildings and a few acres of grass to be mowed. The contractor who has had the job for the past few years just resigned the other day. I have yet to find out the details as to why, but i'm guessing it was because he was'nt happy with the amount of complaints he has been receiving the past year or two. Their quality of work has slipped quite a bit since they quit doing the work themselves, instead having college age kids take over most of the work. Making the matter worse for him is that he lives here as well, making him an easier target for people to find and complain to. I was'nt surprised to hear the additional complaints coming forth, with the crappy job they've been doing, but i'm shocked that instead of fixing the problems he would instead just choose to give up a $60,000+ contract. Maybe there is more to this story than I know so far, but it makes me wonder how much would the average guy here tolerate before ditching a big contract? Would a few b!tchy condo owners be enough for you to say, i'm outa here?

HenryB
07-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I feel sorry for the guy. Condo people can be insane with unrealistic expectations. I no longer even entertain condos just way to crazy. They always want an A+ service at a D price. It's often a group of know it alls who know nothing about horticulture. Contrary to the laws of business and survival.

kc2006
07-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I was going to put a bid in on a condo association and when I was there measuring I had about 6-7 people come up and b*tch at me! Not because I was measuring, they were b*tching about what I better do if I get the job and blah blah blah. Needless to say I walked away from that one. I've been burnt one on a condo association, and then I had that bad experience, 2 in a row is enough to tell me no!

Churches/cemetaries are great, large (10+ acres) are great, nationally owned commercials are great, no one complains, you do a good job and they're happy, they want total grounds maintenance not just mowing. Condo's, smaller commercial (like fast food places, banks, strip malls) in my opinion are horrible, I've just never had luck with any of them.

Likestomow
07-01-2006, 04:23 PM
... would a few b!tchy condo owners be enough for you to say, i'm outa here?

Excuse me, but if the quality of service is below par, these condo owners are well within their rights to complain. You label them as being b!thcy -- wow, what a perspective. If a customer has a legitamate complaint, the service provider had better listen up real good or risk being fired. Call them what you wish, but my customers pay my living.

topsites
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Ohhhh yeah, he wasn't getting paid enough, that's the problem.

I just recently threw a 6k contract out of the window for the same reason: I had been willing to do the work, but every joker and their brother who lives there always feels like you belong to them and they keep throwing their stupid comments your way all the time, as if you're their slave first. Second, so as to keep the peace you finally decide to take care of some of their requests just so they'll shut up but that only makes it worse because now they REALLY get going and you are now also over budget.

What happens when a company is over budget? The noob is dumb enough to faithfully continue to honor the contract, but the experienced company owner stops / reduces services so as to adjust for this until such time the budget is level again.
This should answer the quality issue.

Likely, the bid should've been closer to 120,000... Problem which he tried to resolve by hiring college age kids to lower his cost, evidently even this didn't work as I am sure as soon as the renters saw his employees, they decided to have a field day with them and take advantage of the worker (as customers are TWICE as likely to take advantage of an employee vs. the owner).
Funny thing is, the contract I threw out the window was because someone else WAS cutting the grass... But I didn't hire them.

Let me ask you something... If it costs you 120,000 dollars to do the work for which you're being paid 60,000, what would you do?
So, why would anyone throw 60k out the window when it's costing them 120k?
Too bad it took him over 2 years to figure it out, guess he must've managed somehow in that time.

The next time I turn in a bid, should I even want to do it, I will be sure to at least double whatever price I come up with, and I said at LEAST double.

That's been my experience with this association bowlshed, everybody wants to act like they own you.
Next time you guys hire a chef to cook the soup, do NOT try to tell him how to do it.
And if you do try, don't be so surprised when it doesn't turn out.

HenryB
07-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Well said Topsites!

Envy Lawn Service
07-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I've dumped good paying accounts mid-season for other reasons.

I also agree with the others... under-bid at $60,000 probably.

Most of the time if it's a low-quality company issue, they'll work right on until they are fired.

Palmer'sLS
07-01-2006, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=topsites]
That's been my experience with this association bowlshed, everybody wants to act like they own you.
Next time you guys hire a chef to cook the soup, do NOT try to tell him how to do it.
And if you do try, don't be so surprised when it doesn't turn out.[quote=topsites]

this is so very true

6'7 330
07-01-2006, 05:54 PM
We do stores, strip mall, gas stations, townhouses, condos and most pay to maintain their landscaping completely, most year round, trees, shrubs, snow, ice, complete fertilizer and weed program.Yes you can have problems with some management companies but there is much money in the right commercial properties. Yes, some have a lot of picky old folks and these type accounts have very high standards .Especially winter, ice and snow removal, they can be a real pain in the ass, but if your work is top of the line, condos and commercials can be money making gold mines.

ed2hess
07-01-2006, 06:28 PM
If the guy had it more than one year he surely wasn't losing money on it or he won't have started second year, or did I miss something. And $60K for 20 buildings don't sound like it is underbid-much more to this story. On condo units you kiss up to every PITA person and make them happy. Let's see if you wanted to make $60K cutting single yards that would be around 80 customers....think you might get a pita?

AintNoFun
07-01-2006, 06:48 PM
you mustn't do a lot of condo work then. a few years back i had a crew that did nothing but condos/hoa's all week. nothing but headaches. your cutting today, your cutting tommorrow, why didnt you cut yesterday. your cuting to high, your cutting to low. dont weed wack. you trimed my bush's to much, not enough... its tough to please everyone. while we still do some condos who are great to work with most we've dropped or lost. i understand its peoples homes/communities and they want it to look great, but like topsites said they want to own you. i used to have to go to a few board meetings for a few associations, what a nightmere. and id hate to say it, but goodbless most of you that deal with senior complex's... sure there is plenty of money to be made with the right ones and they are great customers. but 70% of the ones we have come acrossed flat out sucked...

Excuse me, but if the quality of service is below par, these condo owners are well within their rights to complain. You label them as being b!thcy -- wow, what a perspective. If a customer has a legitamate complaint, the service provider had better listen up real good or risk being fired. Call them what you wish, but my customers pay my living.

robby
07-01-2006, 08:18 PM
I dont think he underbid. Just guessing I would say that he has a pretty sweet deal here. Like I said though, I've yet to hear all the inside details as to why he has resigned. We are having a condo meeting next week to discuss whats up. He left a letter on everyones door stating that he has resigned because of unfair treatment and false and untrue accusations. Maybe there is way more to this than just the average complaints. But I would think it would take something fairly big to make him call it quits in the middle of the season. He even is contracted through 2007. A crew of 3 can easily mow this place in a day. The grass is a piece of cake to mow because it is always thin and grows way slower than the avg yard. They can get by mowing on avg every 10-14 days. The last couple of years they have been getting sloppy. Some years they have just gone around the buildings and sprayed roundup, instead of running trimmers weekly. This year they didnt even do that. They just all together skipped trimming around lots of stuff, cept for maybe once a month. They also decided to skip on edging the beds before mulching this year. They edged only around the most seen areas, I guess hoping people wouldnt notice. Most people probably didnt. I notice obviously because i'm in the biz. I do think he probably gets more than the average # of complaints just due to the fact that our condos are occupied with the typical high percentage of seniors. Seniors tend to be a be a cranky bunch, especially when given reason. So I guess I find out the whole story next wed. Unless the guy reads these boards and wants to spill:rolleyes:

topsites
07-01-2006, 10:09 PM
This situation sounds SO similar to mine, I had suspected you were one of the tenants from MY contracted loss changed the story some to try and gain some insight... Respectfully I understand this but no, but it's close, so close to home.

I am sorry I am so frustrated, it isn't so much that it's worth more or less.

It's to the point I don't think doubling the bid would fix the problem, either. Because I did what I could, for the 600 / month I got paid, I put in close to 1k worth of work, but they wanted 1,400 worth and really 2,000 would've been nice. With that in mind, who's to say if I were to bid 12k that then they wouldn't expect 20-30k worth of work... When is enough, enough?

So it could be 60k was fair, but I also see where 120k wouldn't be enough.

An association consists of members, all of whom hold a vote... This vote makes them feel all important and everybody wanted to take my business for a test-drive. I wouldn't mind so bad, but when one of them runs my boat into the iceberg, they're the first ones in line for the lifeboats...While I, the captain, get to go below and bail out water until I'm no longer sinking.
So I've determined this much, the guy left because his boat was sinking.
Meanwhile, owner/operators are hardly concerned about individual votes, sorry to say. No, I really didn't care if they liked me or not, my job is to make the place look better before the contract expires and within budget. Complain all you want, my ears are deaf.
So instead of resigning, I kept going, just to see what would happen. But, they fired me (LOL).
Well, your guy resigned before he got fired, that's all.

Because I had my clues, too:
- One of the voters confided in me that they 'knew' guys like me earned like 30 dollars / hour...
He acted so special for knowing that and good thing he wasn't like all the ignorant folks...
... erm... our kind of work commands $60 / pmh, so right there we expect double the work and thank you.
Heck, $30 pmh is minimum wage for me, I find it difficult to force myself out of bed for $45 pmh...

- Three weeks after someone else started cutting the grass, I get the letter telling me my services are no longer needed.
... It was funny at the time but here again I realize they think I am a total moron. A fool so clueless that I can not take a hint (i.e.: someone else is cutting) to figure it out all by myself that this is over.

So, they think I'm their boy, their hired help.
Might as well go to work at McDonald's.
That was my problem.

Was it his problem?
I don't know for sure, but it's likely along these lines.

trying 2b organic
07-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Don't feel bad Topsites. Seriously, everything you are going through is another day at the office when you do Strata (as we call it here).

I could go on about a lot of things but let me say the most important point first !!!! I now put im my contract the following points !!!

--ALTHOUGH WE TRULY APPRECATE SUGGESTIONS WE WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO TAKE DIRECTION AND COMMUNICATE ON SITE WITH ONE DESIGNATED "CONTACT PERSON"

I make it perfectly clear to the contact person that I dont want the owners to talk to us -- at all, -- about anything. I just explain that it takes time away from our work and that they end up getting less service.

2. COUNCIL CAN TERMINATE SERVICE AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON AND ONLY PAY TILL THE END OF THAT MONTH, ADDITIONALLY WE CAN CHOSE TO TERMINATE WITH 2 WEEKS NOTICE

I know u guys will pick this stuff apart and fair enough, but for me, this has helped, a Lot.

As far as how much money we make, its simple, they look at thier watch and deeply resent it if we are making more than 20 $ per hr and assume that they are getting ripped off. However, since I can make 60 $ per hr doing residentials which are a lot more fun I wouldnt consider spending time at a Strata for less. So automatically you have tension, which sends them into the eternal loop of going with low bidders and getting bad service. (the only person who would work Strata for less than the above is someone so new that havnt even figured out how to make money at rez cuts)

Its July, I can honestly say i am so fed up with these complainers that I would rather make less money and have a happier life. The problem is 2 major players in my town got out of the Strata thing and right now I can get big money doing it.

The reason you put in that YOU can quit is that they know if they drive you to nuts with calls on Sunday or whatever, that YOU will quit THEM. ;}

topsites
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
We do stores, strip mall, gas stations, townhouses, condos and most pay to maintain their landscaping completely, most year round, trees, shrubs, snow, ice, complete fertilizer and weed program.Yes you can have problems with some management companies but there is much money in the right commercial properties. Yes, some have a lot of picky old folks and these type accounts have very high standards .Especially winter, ice and snow removal, they can be a real pain in the ass, but if your work is top of the line, condos and commercials can be money making gold mines.

Respectfully sir, you are in command of a company with employees, correct?

Because I find it is different to have employees facing the music than to be the owner/operator dealing with it.

Let's take the trucking industry as an example, lets say you need to hire an 18-wheeler to transport cargo across the country:
- You can call a national company such as Freightliners Inc (ok I made it up) who will send one of their many trucks out to your place and when they show up, likely you can invite them all for dinner and they gladly accept.
- But hire the solo owner / operator and try that mess and see what happens.

Because in effect, when you do this to the Solo-op, you're doing the rough equivalent of saying 'you are mine, I own you.' Solos will not tolerate this, we react in the same way a dog reacts when another dog tries to hump it and it is not in the mood. You can laugh but it's really not funny, it's like I'm the fire hydrant and you're taking a leak on me, and if anyone is still laughing, how about you're the fire hydrant for a change, would you mind if I cocked my leg on you?
Just to get it straight, when a dog takes a leak on the fire hydrant, it MARKS the hydrant as HIS.
So these tenants with their complaints / demands / special requests... It's all the same thing, they think they own us.

Now with employees, they don't usually mind. No offense to them but they're already owned by the employer for one, for another it really doesn't matter what happens because they're getting paid the entire time.

Sandgropher
07-01-2006, 11:03 PM
These are called strata titles here, i refuse to do them any more the people who live here all come out on mowing day half want the grass cut higher, half lower,:dizzy: this shrub cut back more , while others want it slightly trimmed,:dizzy: i have lost all mine and i believe i did a great job, theres always some that are not happy (see above reasons),then you have the committee that give different orders.:dizzy:

I still get phone calls from these types of places and give my reasons for not doing them and i have some say "Oh but we are all nice people here":D

I say sorry i cant help you.:(

LwnmwrMan22
07-02-2006, 09:19 AM
These are called strata titles here, i refuse to do them any more the people who live here all come out on mowing day half want the grass cut higher, half lower,:dizzy: this shrub cut back more , while others want it slightly trimmed,:dizzy: i have lost all mine and i believe i did a great job, theres always some that are not happy (see above reasons),then you have the committee that give different orders.:dizzy:

I still get phone calls from these types of places and give my reasons for not doing them and i have some say "Oh but we are all nice people here":D

I say sorry i cant help you.:(

Same here, it's always fun when you plow too. You plow at 3 am so everyone can get out for work. The ones that don't work complain because you woke them up.

You plow during the day, the ones that had to get to work complain because it wasn't plowed before they leave for work.

Even when I had only one contact person from the board, that person would call all the time with the complaints "because it was their job".

I'd ask, especially when it was situations like the above mentioned, or others that have mentioned, what they would like me to do about it, the board member would say "I don't really know what you CAN do about it".

You'd get that feeling of "why even call then???" I just got tired of the headache. I don't care how much I get paid, I just don't want to do a property that everytime I get done, there's going to be complaints.

I had one once where a guy said I damaged the siding with my mower, ran into it.

I showed him how I had used a walk-behind, and with the way the stripes were in the lawn, going away from that spot, that I would have had to have turned, then backed up and bashed my mower into my knee and pushed my knee backwards into his siding, not to mention running the "t-bar" through my stomach, pinning me against his house. I said I really think I would have remembered that.

Even after showing him how the mower works, how it has to be traveling away from a spot to make it look a lighter stripe and that if I drove the front tires into his house, that the stripe would have been dark from that vantage point, he still insisted that I hit the house, even though there was no black from a tire, nor any red from mower paint.

Another one, I had the contract for 5 years. There was an area of weeds that I was allowed to dump the leaves on, because the people wanted a compost pile (nature lovers). At the beginning of the 6th year, they got a new president for the board. He wanted me to haul out the leaves / compost pile, because he was never happy with me dumping the leaves on site, thought they should be hauled off. He awarded the contract to someone else, because I wouldn't haul them out without a fee. It was 3-4 8x16' dump trailer loads, and people before me had been dumping leaves there.

The pile is still there.

Again, I don't care what money is there, it's just not worth the headache.

gardenkeeper88
07-02-2006, 10:56 AM
It's so nice to have this site to see you are not alone. Had this condo contract for 4 years. Just cancelled on them 3weeks ago. 3300. per mo. New Pres of the assoc. Headaches all the time. Don't get me wrong we made some mistakes but nothing major. Like one we missed weedeating around one small tree 1.5 ft. bed of mulch around it. we would be ther all day working every week and this 1 day I stop the mower to start trimming its 11:00 I get a call "they haven't blown off my walk yet." Well duh 1 guy is still mowing 1 is trimming and I just stopped the mower. her house is beside the house where we park. Her the best part ha Ha. I dropped it to only pick up another. NOW duh where is my head.
The reasoning here. This is a brand new on. we are only mowing the entrances right now. there won't be many condos this year. but the back part of this development is all private villas. the devolper of the villas want to give all the homeowners aquick in with someone to help them maintain thier homes. there will be about 187 of them. This week I picked up 5. The front half also will have about 150 villas along with the condos the front half is adiff. developer (nephew and uncle) so right now I'm going with it to keep my foot in the door and myself out there for the great potential. I have worked with the main developer fo about 7 years now. Now i'm just trying to figure out someguidelines to make the condos more smooth sailing.

robby
07-02-2006, 11:31 AM
It's so nice to have this site to see you are not alone. Had this condo contract for 4 years. Just cancelled on them 3weeks ago. 3300. per mo. New Pres of the assoc. Headaches all the time. Don't get me wrong we made some mistakes but nothing major. Like one we missed weedeating around one small tree 1.5 ft. bed of mulch around it. we would be ther all day working every week and this 1 day I stop the mower to start trimming its 11:00 I get a call "they haven't blown off my walk yet." Well duh 1 guy is still mowing 1 is trimming and I just stopped the mower. her house is beside the house where we park. Her the best part ha Ha. I dropped it to only pick up another. NOW duh where is my head.
The reasoning here. This is a brand new on. we are only mowing the entrances right now. there won't be many condos this year. but the back part of this development is all private villas. the devolper of the villas want to give all the homeowners aquick in with someone to help them maintain thier homes. there will be about 187 of them. This week I picked up 5. The front half also will have about 150 villas along with the condos the front half is adiff. developer (nephew and uncle) so right now I'm going with it to keep my foot in the door and myself out there for the great potential. I have worked with the main developer fo about 7 years now. Now i'm just trying to figure out someguidelines to make the condos more smooth sailing.
Your point is well taken. I agree, its really hard to please 100% of the residents when you've got 500 seniors living in a condo complex. Some of them are just gonna find every little thing to pick on. Unfortunately our situation is more than just little things. I'd say there is a problem when you totally skip edging and weeding the beds before mulching. Bushes that are 1-2' overgrown and still not trimmed yet headed into july. Then when they do trim, they will trim off half the growth, as the bushes continue to get more and more overgrown. I dont expect perfection, but I see the job that other landscapers do around the city, and I know this guys work wouldnt fly elsewhere. It wouldnt fly with my customers.

HenryB
07-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Robby, you should take the condo on yourself. I'd bet there is a reason why someone is walking away from $60k. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

syzer
07-02-2006, 12:23 PM

I'm with you! We maintain only one condo complex, but do work for about 4 others, and the ppl are know it alls. They love us though because we take the time to maintain he property correctly.

I do hate going to bid on work because half of the board is there with the regional manager and they all feel the need to get it done the way they want and always end up arguing amongst each other hehe. Kind of funny, but it gets old =).

Team-Green L&L
07-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry to sound so critical, but seriously folks...if we build a company providing a service that the common person can perform we are and SHOULD BE held at a higher standard than most. Hell, if I took my car to a shop and they forgot one bolt on my manifold my car would run fine, but I would still have expected better from them. To except a lesser quality of work, means that you are a lesser quality contractor. If you need more time to complete a job appropriately then your bid should accomodate that.

HenryB
07-02-2006, 12:40 PM
These commercial bids are usually a bad situation they go with the lowest bidder. They want $150k service for $50k. If you make them happy and give them what they want your usually not making a profit. A lot of LCO's loose money on accounts they judge success based on how many trucks, signs etc they have. I see it every day. Often their wife has a good job or one or two big plow accounts carry them. You are often competing with raving lunatics to get that condo etc.

topsites
07-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Your point is well taken. I agree, its really hard to please 100% of the residents when you've got 500 seniors living in a condo complex. Some of them are just gonna find every little thing to pick on. Unfortunately our situation is more than just little things. I'd say there is a problem when you totally skip edging and weeding the beds before mulching. Bushes that are 1-2' overgrown and still not trimmed yet headed into july. Then when they do trim, they will trim off half the growth, as the bushes continue to get more and more overgrown. I dont expect perfection, but I see the job that other landscapers do around the city, and I know this guys work wouldnt fly elsewhere. It wouldnt fly with my customers.

I do not doubt what you say, I will admit the place I serviced things were pretty bad but then again, the place looked like that when I took over and the reason behind it is they expect perfection at $20 pmh with the exception of the generous ones who feel $30 pmh is ok and there's the whole problem. Read: Standard Industry Rate for Lco service is $60 pmh, take it or leave it.
If I'm in a good mood, I'll work for $45 pmh especially where there's a lot of money involved but since you already want something for nothing, your price is $120 pmh.

They expected me to pull weeds by hand and shovel piles of dirt out of there, all for like 100 dollars.
I haven't been asked to pull weeds by hand since my first year, that is a BIG red flag right there.
Commercial owner / operators do NOT pull weeds by hand.
As for me, I haven't used a shovel to move piles of crap in years either, I'll use the dingo at $200 a pop and thank you.

We spray them, we control them, I went so far as to research Juniper-based weed control.
To control a weed that grows inside a plant, first you identify the plant, then the weed.
Then you take this info to the chemist and he makes you the chem you need to kill the weed and not the plant.
For Junipers this has already been done, the chems are called Fusilade II and Lontrel.
You still need to ID the Juniper and the weed, there are 200 varieties of Junipers, lets not get into how many types of weed there are.
Fusilade costs 150 a quart or so, Lontrel is 200 a quart.
You want the weeds gone, then you pull them. You want me to pull them? See ya!

Again, in a nutshell: Man don't get paid enough.

robby
07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Robby, you should take the condo on yourself. I'd bet there is a reason why someone is walking away from $60k. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.
LOL....no way!:nono: Despite the fact that I think the guys doing a subpar job, I still sympathize with his position of having to please 500 different residents all living in the same community. I am quite grateful for the position that i'm in, doing mostly residentials. I'm lucky if i get one complaint call per year. I too would get frustrated if I had to consantly deal with nit picking stuff.
I did just talk to another resident here, and they thought maybe it was concerning a money dispute, as to why the guy resigned. So maybe i'm way off base with the complaints thang.

robby
07-02-2006, 01:19 PM
These commercial bids are usually a bad situation they go with the lowest bidder. They want $150k service for $50k. If you make them happy and give them what they want your usually not making a profit. A lot of LCO's loose money on accounts they judge success based on how many trucks, signs etc they have. I see it every day. Often their wife has a good job or one or two big plow accounts carry them. You are often competing with raving lunatics to get that condo etc.
It makes me wonder as to how our management company goes about obtaining their bids. In the 10 years since our complex was first built, we've had like 3 different companies service our landscaping. All 3 were larger companies. 2 of the 3 were probably in the top 5 largest in the city. Is that normal or odd that a small outfit wouldnt more likely be able to underbid a larger one? I'm just surprised that some small 3 man crew hasnt at some point underbid and landed the job.

topsites
07-02-2006, 01:27 PM
It makes me wonder as to how our management company goes about obtaining their bids. In the 10 years since our complex was first built, we've had like 3 different companies service our landscaping. All 3 were larger companies. 2 of the 3 were probably in the top 5 largest in the city. Is that normal or odd that a small outfit wouldnt more likely be able to underbid a larger one? I'm just surprised that some small 3 man crew hasnt at some point underbid and landed the job.

If you read through this thread, I am no longer surprised that most companies simply avoid these bids like the plague, which is why there is actually a LOT less competition. As for me, this was the only comm.contract I ever bid on, in 5 years I knew enough to avoid them and have always given them the brush off. It's actually a rule: My company don't do contracts.
Oh why did I break this rule, why ohhhh why!!!?

In favor of those who somehow manage this bs, I will say this:
The comm contract is one sure way to make your operation into one lean and mean beast of a mother that can survive anything and everything you throw at it. Because if you can profit from what you read here, then my hat's off to you and brother, please let us not compete as I can easily see you could swallow my company like a breakfast snack in one bite, and not even burp.

topsites
07-02-2006, 01:32 PM
LOL this thread reminds me to try a new collection method which is to drive by someone's house today hoping they have guests. And, every holiday from here on out, soon as they have guests, knock on the door.

jameson
07-02-2006, 01:42 PM
As others have pointed out you must have only ONE contact person on the board. And that ONE contact person and only that contact person must filter any and all information/requests to you. Information should preferably be filtered to you via e-mail (I LUV EMAIL)!

We have 2 Condos that we maintain and have so for many, many years. I doubt very much that we could have lasted as long without this system.
We still get the odd bird who comes out when we are there and demands that we do such-and-such this way or that way, we just smile and politely tell them where they should direct their request to for consideration.

Of course if you under-bid the job to begin with how and whom you communicate with will matter very little.