PDA

View Full Version : Walker Belts....

JJ Lawn
07-01-2006, 02:54 PM
The other day I needed to replace the Engine PTO Belt (walker part #8230) on my Walker MT.
Now I don't mind paying for original parts but I think almost $48.00 for this belt from a Walker Dealer is a little too much.

I checked on the Internet, and about the cheapest I could find one was for $36.00 from JThomas. This is a little more reasonable but still a little high.

Anyway I went to a local Bearing supply company to see if they could match up the belt I needed.

This is what they came up with for $25.00. Looks like it will work to me..... Will let you all know after I install it.

JJ Lawn
07-01-2006, 02:59 PM
While I was at the Bearing store another idea struck me......

Why do you need the wide belt? Why can't you use 3 belts instead of one?

So....... I have been running these for 4 days now. I really don't notice any difference in the performance of the machine. Now maybe they won't last as long as the wide belt, but for $18 for the 3 belts it is worth the try.

ed2hess
07-01-2006, 04:38 PM
The problem I have is in keeping that belt on when it gets stretched with wear. I would guess that could be a problem with 3 belts. How about $80 for some Scag belts?

Brianslawn
07-01-2006, 05:58 PM
i tried 3 seperate belts before. only lasted a week. they shrunk somehow. dont know why. maybe just bad belts or wrong size. let us know how your results turn out. murray parts are cheaper. maybe you should try that brand.

tomo
07-01-2006, 06:14 PM
hello, use three seperare belts as per your photo , the only point i would mention is i received 3 belts in mail coiled up like coil spring ,this caused the belts to jump of occasionally. Prior to this when belts were delivered flat packed had no problems."twisted" belts are hanging in workshop, gravity straightening.I feel as the banded belt[belts joined] would last longer if you can purchase at good price. Can you please post all part no"s from front of box . thanks tomo

tomo
07-01-2006, 07:00 PM
hello, donot forget to adjust actuating rod to walker spec.From memory check when belts engaged.2/when belts are disengaged there is also a stop block,determines how far tensioner backs off and can prevent belt jumping on disengagement ie if it backs of to far. 3/do all adjustments with blade brake band adjustment backed off ,once you have done 1 & 2 adjust band as to slow blades down within 5 secs after disengagement. refer walker manual for blow by blow procedure. The above works for me. tomo PS do you find grass collects around blade brake band area. As a result it wears the band very quickly and pulley it runs on. Covered in grass every day.:waving: