PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

imdawrlus
07-01-2006, 02:44 PM
whats the difference between standard, high lift and mulching blades?? i have a 52 turf tracer hp and i'm thinkin about running doubles.

i use my mower to blow off walk ways and driveways and it just dosent blow grass as good as my snapper would.

if i run doubles, what should i run??

topsites
07-01-2006, 03:50 PM
My best advice is if the machine is cutting good, leave it alone.

I'm serious man, you can waste more time and money on this than you can imagine... Now if the machine is cutting like crap, then by all means do some trial and error until you find that happy medium.

lawnmaniac883
07-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Ditto what topsites said; leave well enough alone unless you have lots of extra time and money. Their are easily 30 different combinations of doubles that you could try and none of them may produce as good a cut as you have now.

As for your question, a standard blade has a fairly low lift sail (curved part at tip of blade) a medium lift blade has a lift sail that is inbetween a standard and a high lift which has a very high lift sail to give you more vacuum to lift the grass up. Also there are sand blades which are basically flat and produce no vacuum for cutting in sandy conditions; the sand erodes the lift sail of a normal blade down to nothing. There are gator blades which have notches in the lift sails to help mulch up clippings and leaves. Mulching or wavy blades have a flat cutting surface followed by a curved portion which mulches clippings before they are dispersed back to the lawn. Theses typically have a medium lift sail.

That said I dont run doubles and never intend to. You put more wear on your PTO clutch, belts, and spindles by running doubles. All machines except for dixie choppers are engineered to run 1 blade per spindle.

imdawrlus
07-02-2006, 12:37 AM
thanks guys.

it really cuts beautiful now and i'm very happy with the cut. but i also need to use it to blow off driveways. this is what i've done for the past 3 years and it always works good. i think i need more lift. this mower just dosent "blow" like my old mower would.

its a floating deck so i'm also thinking that if i take out some of the spacers inbetween the blade and spindle, then lower the deck a little, it might suck up the grass a little bettter, and leave a better stripe. right?

whats the advantage to all the different types of blades??

topsites
07-02-2006, 12:42 AM
thanks guys.

it really cuts beautiful now and i'm very happy with the cut. but i also need to use it to blow off driveways. this is what i've done for the past 3 years and it always works good. i think i need more lift. this mower just dosent "blow" like my old mower would.

its a floating deck so i'm also thinking that if i take out some of the spacers inbetween the blade and spindle, then lower the deck a little, it might suck up the grass a little bettter, and leave a better stripe. right?

Believe it or not, you might affect the quality because you will be pushing the blade up inside the deck.

I mean you can try it but make sure you remember the previous setting(s) and be ready to change it back. If it DOES work ok, you'd be less likely to hit an object with the blade thou now if you hit it, the deck will stop your Wb hard and you might fly over the bars.

I'd still leave it alone, you must be bored:laugh:

yrdandgardenhandyman
07-02-2006, 12:45 AM
thanks guys.

whats the advantage to all the different types of blades??

Just make sure you are cutting at the right height for the type of turf and weather in your area.

poonero
07-02-2006, 12:47 AM
whats wrong with the back pack blower?

naturescape
07-02-2006, 01:35 AM
I notice you can clean walks better with doubles. If I'm not edging, sometimes I won't even have to grab the blower in mid-summer conditions, at least on a few lawns. It also stripes MUCH better, and if you have a few stray leaves on your lawn, the doubles will help shred 'em big time. And they don't take THAT much extra fuel to run or I wouldn't run 'em.

I've tried most every combination. Medium lift blades with gators over the top work GREAT!