PDA

View Full Version : Briggs 15.5 Vanguard blew smoke under power 3 times

shopteacher
07-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Hello fellow gear heads,
I was mowing and all of a sudden it started blowing major blue smoke. I disengaged the deck and it stopped blowing smoke. It was running fine, but when I went to engage the deck, it blew smoke again. I disengaged and it stopped blowing smoke. This happened one more time. I investigated and found the oil to be ok, no stuck belts, nothing wrong.
I was mowing on an incline for about 50 feet, but then I was on flat ground when she blew like a steam engine.
I haven't done a compression check yet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

shopteacher
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I found the compression to be 70 lbs. It doesn't look good, does it. It runs ok though, just smokes on acceleration. How much time does she have left?
gulp!!
Thanks

mike lane lawn care
07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
i bought a used regent last year from my dealer and when he delivered it, he drove up my hill and it started doing just that. it turned out that he had to replace the head gasket(no charge of course). but i got rid of the machine when the transmission died TWICe, two weeks apart, and that was a month after i took delivery of it. that regent was a 14hp vanguard.

shopteacher
07-01-2006, 11:31 PM
HEY, this is a regent too!!!
Could it be the head gasket?????
I would be very happy if it was.
With an ohv, is it tricky or straitforward.
I did a dry compression test and then squirted oil in the cylinder and the compression was still the same.

Do these engines have a compression release? (Briggs vanguard 14 horse)

Thanks

mike lane lawn care
07-01-2006, 11:52 PM
i believe the engines have compression releases but i am unsure, i no longer have the regent as it was underpowered and even though it was a simplicity it is just kind of junky. my new broadmoor is beefy, strong, and leaves the best cut i have ever seen. if you can afford it, get a new broadmoor, they are truley amazing machines.