PDA

View Full Version : McCulloch Trimmer dies

Joe P
07-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Guys
1st timer here. I've got a McCulloch Eager Beaver 282 curved shaft trimmer, older model, Walbro WT231A carb. It starts OK (6-7 pulls; it took 3-4 when new) but slowly dies when not kept at high throttle setting. I like to trim at virtual idle, so this is a problem. I adjusted the idle speed screw to its highest setting, but this hasn't helped. I am wary of tinkering with the high and low speed adjustment screws, because I don't know what I'm doing. I've been looking for an online guide to adjusting these, to no avail.
Question: Will I be able to adjust the H/L speed screws to fix this? Where can I find a guide? (McCulloch is out of business, Walbro site doesn't seem to help).
Question: Trimmer is 13 years old, but has less than 200 hours on it and is in otherwise good shape. Do I need a carb rebuild (old rubber) or new fuel lines (old plastic) as suggested in other threads with similar problems? Again, where can I find instructions to do a rebuild?

Thanks for your help!!

Joe

MowerMedic77
07-01-2006, 07:59 PM
First thing I would do is check for carbon in the exhaust port/muffler since you say you trim at near idle then the engine never gets to full temp and probably does'nt burn off your 2cycle mix completely and after 13 years of running it like this I would start there. Most people don't own a car for 13years so :clapping:congrats.

Joe P
07-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes, checked for that - exhaust port a little gunky, but not at all restrictive. I tried to run it without the muffler, and other than being louder, it ran exactly the same.

TURF DOCTOR
07-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Try a new plug,clean the breather and fresh fuel on old trimmers it's common.

Joe P
07-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Will try a new plug. Breather was cleaned, fuel is fresh. But could a plug really be the problem? Trimmer works fine at full and at 1/2 throttle. Problem with idle only. I thought plugs either worked or not, no middle ground.

TURF DOCTOR
07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Perhap's not to insult you but cheap trimmer's it's common.

dutch1
07-01-2006, 09:32 PM
If it has a intank fuel filter, was that checked? Mac is one of the box store throwaway lines so taking it to a shop is not cost effective, in fact that I use to work in wouldn't take in anything we didn't sell. Recoils an carburetors are often tough to get to quickly and parts are often hard to come by.

If you must rehabilitate the Mac, first check the compression and if it is not over 100 psi I wouldn't bother with it. Second, if it is starving for fuel, replace the fuel lines and filter, rebuild the carb with a new kit after properly cleaning it. Reinstall, then run both high and low speed screws in till snug then back them out one and a quarter turns. If you can get it to start, adjust the low speed so that it idles properly then adjust the high speed screw with the engine wide open so that you get a gurgling noise which will indicate that it is running just a little on the rich side so that you get proper lubrication from the oil mix. Running lean does not give proper lubrication.

When you take the carb apart to rebuild, take notice of the location and order of the gaskets and diagphram so that they can be replaced in the proper order. It is also recommended that you have the proper needle lever height. To do so you will need the proper Walbro or Zama gauge tool to accomplish the task.

You might check to see it the carb is presently tight to the engine block and that you are not getting an air leak I recently worked on a Homelite that had both both carb retaining screws loose.

If after reading this and you get your mission accomplished you will have a better appreciation of why an estimate from a shop exceeds the cost of another economy trimmer, particularly if you replace the recoil rope as well.

Dutch

Joe P
07-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Dutch.
Absolutely this is a cheap economy trimmer, not worth taking in to a shop. That's why I'm tinkering with it myself. Thanks for the tip on adjusting the H/L speed screws. Will also check for a fuel filter in tank. Is it pretty straightforward to rebuild a Walbro carb? I've never done it, and don't have the gauge tool.

dutch1
07-02-2006, 08:04 AM
It's reasonably simple. Keep parts/gaskets/diagphram is order as they come off. Replace fuel screen(usually included in kit), remove adjustment screws(again noting location of each as they are different usually) and blow carb/choke cleaner through ports. Reassmble in proper order and you should be good to go.

Dutch

Joe P
07-03-2006, 04:19 PM
BTW, does anyone know what to set the gap on the new plug for?

tallimeca
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Not to sound like a total jerk, but first thing i would do is throw it away!!!!

dutch1
07-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Most two strokes are .030.

Dutch

Bob I.
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Guys and gals,

New to the site but have a similar problem and found this thread very helpful.

I too have a McCullough Eager Beaver trimmer but my problem is that it won't start. I did all the suggested steps here (checked exhaust port, gaped plug at 0.030, adjusted idle screws to 1.5 turns from bottom, checked filter) but it won't start. If I give it a shot of starting fluid, it runs for a few seconds then dies.

Do I need to rebuild the carb at this point?

Thanks!
Bob

Joe P
06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi Bob
Sounds like it is starved for fuel. Can you see the fuel coursing through the fuel return line when you milk the primer bulb?
I had to replace the primer bulb on mine, as well as the fuel lines, and had to rebuild the carb. It was much easier and cheaper than I thought it would be. (You can't use generic gasline here, I believe. It will leak.)
Hope this helps

JP

Bob I.
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Joe. It doesn't have a primer and I did buy the fuel line from the lawn equipment shop. I think I may need to rebuild the carb.

Joe P
06-27-2011, 01:37 PM
How do you know that fuel is reaching the carb? Could it be a blocked in-tank fuel filter?

Bob I.
06-27-2011, 01:38 PM
How do you know that fuel is reaching the carb? Could it be a blocked in-tank fuel filter?

I pulled the filter out of the tank and the filter is clean. When I blew through the fuel line it bubbled fuel in the tank after I put it back in.

Joe P
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I think it would be good to rebuild, then. You're not gtting the 'suction' required for fuel to reach the carb. It's probably the celophane- like flapper that's not sealing.

Bob I.
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I think it would be good to rebuild, then. You're not gtting the 'suction' required for fuel to reach the carb. It's probably the celophane- like flapper that's not sealing.

Thanks Joe. Any suggested sources for the rebuild kit? I also need an air filter and exhaust gasket. I could try my local guy but he doesn't really stock a lot of parts for it since it's a lower end model trimmer.

Joe P
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
It is probably a Walbro carb. Find the number on it and google it('walbro xxxx rebuild kit').I just buy local.

Bob I.
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
It is probably a Walbro carb. Find the number on it and google it('walbro xxxx rebuild kit').I just buy local.

OK. Thanks! You're right, it is a WALBRO. Where on the carb do they stamp the model number?

Joe P
06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Since you're rebuilding anyway, pull it off and look really closely. There will probably be 2 different numbers - one a batch number or something, the other a model number. You can tell which is which by the quality of the search results. (No one will have a rebuild kit based on a bath number).

Bob I.
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Since you're rebuilding anyway, pull it off and look really closely. There will probably be 2 different numbers - one a batch number or something, the other a model number. You can tell which is which by the quality of the search results. (No one will have a rebuild kit based on a bath number).

Sounds good. Thanks very much for the help!

dboyd351
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
You can buy Walbro rebuild kits online. Do a search on "Walbro Carburetor Rebuild Kits" to find a source for the kit. The kits are sort of generic for a series of carbs. For instance, the K10-WAT kit fits WA and WT series Walbro carbs and has an assortment of diaphrams and gaskets to cover those series carbs. Like Dutch said, just pay attention as you disassemble the carb, pick out the matching parts from the assortment in the kit and replace the old parts with the new. That includes the fuel screen and inlet needle, as well as the diaphrams and gaskets. Might want to shoot a little carb cleaner in the orifices while it is apart, too.
I just did an old Troy-bilt TB90 last night. Before the rebuild, it would not run at all unless you shot in starting fluid. After the rebuild, it started on the second pull!:clapping:

Joe P
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
My kit had an instruction sheet with diagrams. I would have done it sooner had I known it was so easy.

Bob I.
06-28-2011, 09:36 AM
You can buy Walbro rebuild kits online. Do a search on "Walbro Carburetor Rebuild Kits" to find a source for the kit. The kits are sort of generic for a series of carbs. For instance, the K10-WAT kit fits WA and WT series Walbro carbs and has an assortment of diaphrams and gaskets to cover those series carbs. Like Dutch said, just pay attention as you disassemble the carb, pick out the matching parts from the assortment in the kit and replace the old parts with the new. That includes the fuel screen and inlet needle, as well as the diaphrams and gaskets. Might want to shoot a little carb cleaner in the orifices while it is apart, too.
I just did an old Troy-bilt TB90 last night. Before the rebuild, it would not run at all unless you shot in starting fluid. After the rebuild, it started on the second pull!:clapping:

Thanks VERY much!