PDA

View Full Version : safety mechanism over ride

scatterbrain
07-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I recently purchased a used Toro model # 20020 serial # 210007562. It's a self propelled mulching mower with a B & S 6 hp motor. It has a funny safety feature that kills the engine when the handle, not the handle itself, but the long U shaped thing that attaches to the frame, is pushed forward. Call it a habit, but I push forward on the handle when I start out. I don't always engage the self propelled mechanism. Sometimes I just push it along and when I do I notice that I am pushing forward on the handle which in turn kills the engine. When the handle is put back in the neutral position the engine comes back to life like nothing ever happened. This mower does have the safety feature on the handle as well, you know the one that you must pull against the handle to even start it. Is there a way to disengage this other safety feature that kills the mower when the handle is pushed forward?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
scatterbrain in Houston

dutch1
07-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Not really sure of the problem you're experiencing as it appears that everything is working propeerly. If I remember the 20020 correctly you have top bail which is the safety feature, must be held back to keep engine running. If you engage the self propelled system by pulling up on the lower bail handle, both handles must be held together. To disengage the zone start handle would require that you remove the engine brake and at the same time you lose the engine kill feature.

Dutch