PDA

View Full Version : Edgit on Tanaka Trimmer -- Accomplished!

naturescape
07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I like the Edgit but had been told it won't fit my Tanaka trimmer. All I had to do to make it fit was to use the gear box off one of my Echo's (260S), drill one hole for the retaining screw, and it's set and ready to go! Works great! Much lighter than the Echo, as the Tanaka 230 it's on only weighed about 10 lbs without the guard. Here's a pic of it.

zim bob the landscaper
07-02-2006, 09:57 AM
can you get some pics of how it works. ive been thinking about getting one. thanks

naturescape
07-02-2006, 10:07 AM
can you get some pics of how it works. ive been thinking about getting one. thanks

What do you mean? Attaching it to a Tanaka or using the edgit?

Likestomow
07-02-2006, 10:37 AM
The Edgit is a marginal tool and market penetration is evidence of it. Yes it does a good job edging, but it makes the trimmer too heavy for normal trimming. Yes I know some people use it that way and say they love it. I have one but don't use it because of that reason (the other reason is that I no longer use Echo products). Edging with the trimmer string is so much faster (including in and out of the truck) and with a little practice it produces similar results.

So does the Edgit attach to a Redmax, a Shindaiwa, a Kawasaki, or a Tanaka? The answer is no, unless you can find a gear housing from an Echo.

naturescape
07-02-2006, 10:42 AM
The Edgit is a marginal tool and market penetration is evidence of it. Yes it does a good job edging, but it makes the trimmer too heavy for normal trimming. Yes I know some people use it that way and say they love it. I have one but don't use it because of that reason (the other reason is that I no longer use Echo products). Edging with the trimmer string is so much faster (including in and out of the truck) and with a little practice it produces similar results.

So does the Edgit attach to a Redmax, a Shindaiwa, a Kawasaki, or a Tanaka? The answer is no, unless you can find a gear housing from an Echo.

Well, no heavier than with the same trimmer set up with the factory guard. The Edgit will really help to shield the user from debris. Putting it on a Tan. 230 sure goes a long way to creating a light and balanced trimmer.

I know it'll fit a Shin with the Edgit bracket, I've used this setup many years ago. I'd rather have it bolt directly to the gear housing tho.

naturescape
07-02-2006, 10:45 AM

What I like about the Edgit for trimming is that all you have to do it put the lip of the Edgit where you want the turf trimmed and GO. It is too tempting to cut turf lower than the surrounding, mower-cut areas without the Edgit. And for along fences and then edging beds, it IS the ultimate tool.

iluvscag
07-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Looks Good

naturescape
07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Forgot to mention, to make it fit you should also use the collar Tanaka can supply you with (comes with the articulating hedge trimmer attachment). The Echo gearbox will not tighten enough otherwise. I myself just used a bit of duct tape wrapped around the shaft of the trimmer for a proper fit.

PaulJ
07-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Edgit offers adapter plates for most brands of trimmers. I have one on a redmax 2600. They are coming out with new adapter plates all the time.

naturescape
07-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Edgit offers adapter plates for most brands of trimmers. I have one on a redmax 2600. They are coming out with new adapter plates all the time.

An adaptor PLATE won't be ABLE to fit the Tanaka, you need to switch the gearbox if you want to run both together. The owner of Edgit told me there's no way to fit it to the Tan, so that's why I switched the gearbox and put up this post.