PDA

View Full Version : Edgit -- holding it the right way!

naturescape
07-02-2006, 02:21 AM
THIS is how to edge with an Edgit on a trimmer. The pic explains it, just walk forward with the Edgit, "dragging" the Edgit to your side.

I've never seen this posted here, and even the Edgit website shows the Edgit being "pushed forward" although the owner of Edgit recommends "dragging" it to your side!

When I switch to trimming with it, I give it a quick flip to hold it with my RIGHT hand on the throttle. You'll find using it with both hands is more ergonomic and less tiring.

I hope this helps anyone who's interested in an Edgit!

jameson
07-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Each of my employees uses the Edgit differently. All of them use it in a way that is most comfortable for them, therefore most effecient.

In any event, it is a tool that works out great for our outfit, we are very pleased with the edge, no matter how its held.

This guy pushes it foward...

jameson
07-02-2006, 02:39 AM
this guy drags it...

naturescape
07-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Each of my employees uses the Edgit differently. All of them use it in a way that is most comfortable for them, therefore most effecient.

In any event, it is a tool that works out great for our outfit, we are very pleased with the edge, no matter how its held.

But see, that looks awfully uncomfortable holding it that high. Of course, to each his own.

jameson
07-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Of course, to each his own.

Amen brother!

:waving:

kc2006
07-02-2006, 03:02 AM
James, did you kill whatever it was that was attacking your worker in the second picture??? :D

Thanks for the pics guys, I've been debating getting one, I'd most likely use it like the first picture shows, thats how I edge now with the string trimmer.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-02-2006, 07:57 AM
I will try to get a picture of mine on later today, I put a J handle on my trimmer and hold it sideways and down low kinda like the 1st picture. I was skeptical till I got an edgit, but I couldnt do with out it now. I think it reall excells on flower beds and such

wayn e

Freddy_Kruger
07-02-2006, 11:52 AM
So you would need two trimmers one with the edgit and one without?

I'm asking cause I don't see how that thing would trim along wooden fences or at least wher the posts are.

I do see how handy it would be for beds though I've held my trimmer in some of those ackward positons and don't like trimming beds at all.

syzer
07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I was always skeptical of the edgit so we bought one to just give it a try. I absolutely love it. We don't use it for edging walks, myself nor my guys can truly get a nice square edge most of the time. However its the absolutely best thing for garden bed edges I have ever used.

The only things I don't like is the vacuum it creates pulling it down, hard to get into tight corners, and after trimming huge apartment complexes it can get heavy.

Very nice addition, I wish they made one for Husqavarna!

grass_cuttin_fool
07-02-2006, 07:21 PM
So you would need two trimmers one with the edgit and one without?

I'm asking cause I don't see how that thing would trim along wooden fences or at least wher the posts are.

I do see how handy it would be for beds though I've held my trimmer in some of those ackward positons and don't like trimming beds at all.

I keep the string out to the edge of the edgit and it trims ok

wayne

ProStreetCamaro
07-02-2006, 07:43 PM
SOMEBODY needs a hair cut!! I would think that would make your head very hot in the summer?

naturescape
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I keep the string out to the edge of the edgit and it trims ok

wayne

You got it. You need to keep the string about 1 - 2" past the Edgit minimum ANYWAY.

brucec32
11-23-2006, 02:52 AM
I love mine and am ordering a 2nd just to have one around. It's funny how some guys will spend another $3,000 more for a super mower to a few minutes of time over another mower, then balk at $70 or so for a tool that saves them more time in an area employees are typically doing while he's mowing. I guess I'm glad, since that makes the competition less efficient.

naturescape
11-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I love mine and am ordering a 2nd just to have one around. It's funny how some guys will spend another $3,000 more for a super mower to a few minutes of time over another mower, then balk at $70 or so for a tool that saves them more time in an area employees are typically doing while he's mowing. I guess I'm glad, since that makes the competition less efficient.

It's worth having a trimmer w/ Edgit on the truck just for edging beds alone! It is THE BEST tool for that.

thesargent
11-23-2006, 09:23 PM
it trims around fence posts no problem at all.

JJLandscapes
11-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Do these edgit things do a good enough job where you dont need to take the spade out to edge the beds or will it still need it?

Envy Lawn Service
11-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, thanks for all these pics because it helps me explain how I edge with a trimmer and no edge-it.

I hold my trimmer, right side down exactly like this...
Except I'm holding it right handed.
So my body is on the other side of the trimmer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59434&stc=1&d=1151817602

Then I walk backwards, while watching what I'm edging like this...
Only difference being the engine is down at my right hip.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59436&stc=1&d=1151818762

But I have seen lefties edge just like this going forward, which I wish I could do.
It sucks bumping into things backing up.

If they made a trimmer that turned the head the opposite direction I could walk forward right handed.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59435&stc=1&d=1151818622

naturescape
11-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, thanks for all these pics because it helps me explain how I edge with a trimmer and no edge-it.

I hold my trimmer, right side down exactly like this...
Except I'm holding it right handed.
So my body is on the other side of the trimmer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59434&stc=1&d=1151817602

Then I walk backwards, while watching what I'm edging like this...
Only difference being the engine is down at my right hip.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59436&stc=1&d=1151818762

But I have seen lefties edge just like this going forward, which I wish I could do.
It sucks bumping into things backing up.

If they made a trimmer that turned the head the opposite direction I could walk forward right handed.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59435&stc=1&d=1151818622

Envy, if you hold the trimmer the way I am, (in that first pic), with an Edgit, you won't have to worry about backing into anything, and the rotation of the line will be correct/efficient for edging.

Envy Lawn Service
11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Envy, if you hold the trimmer the way I am, (in that first pic), with an Edgit, you won't have to worry about backing into anything, and the rotation of the line will be correct/efficient for edging.

So you are side stepping to your left then?

KS_Grasscutter
11-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I may have to try one next season sometime if I ever end up with a little extra cash laying around (highly unlikely though:(). I can see where that would be real handy for beds and whatnot.

naturescape
11-24-2006, 01:18 AM
So you are side stepping to your left then?

A bit yes, it's very comfortable tho, easier than using a stick edger.

MJB
11-24-2006, 01:28 AM
this guy drags it...

I drag it backwards to when I'm getting tired. But I let my hands drop so the edgit is way out in front of me and I walk backwards for a while on big properties. This way I rest my arms and can still move along swiftly. You only need 1 hand once you get the hang of it.

briancom
01-27-2007, 10:58 PM
can you weed eat with it, well at least to catch something some else missed?

naturescape
01-28-2007, 01:44 AM

Yes, in many cases trims even better with it on.

MJB
01-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Thats all we use for trimming and edging anymore going on 10 yrs now. There is a short learning curve but overall a very effective trimmer attachment.

yamadooski
01-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Well I have been doing this for 15 years now and by looking at some of those beds I dont see why a regular stick edger wont work?

Is it a northern thing?
Im in Florida and after reading stuff here for the last year or so, we do stuff way different than up there.

naturescape
01-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Well I have been doing this for 15 years now and by looking at some of those beds I dont see why a regular stick edger wont work?

Is it a northern thing?
Im in Florida and after reading stuff here for the last year or so, we do stuff way different than up there.

There is NO COMPARISON between the stick edger and the Edgit for taking care of beds edges -- I have used both. The Edgit will give a better edge much faster and easier. I guess you really have to try it to see the difference.

I believe in Florida the Edgit would work at LEAST as well as it does up here. I visit Lauderdale often, and always wish I could do some Edgit-ing on those flower beds!

briancom
01-29-2007, 01:53 AM
We edge every bed and every edge around the turf (turf isolation) and we have been using string trimmers 95% of the time, stick edgers dont work as well because they just cut a groove in the soil and dont clean out the trench at the bed edge. The string trimmer works best but the flying debris and rubber mulch really hurts when it does hit you. The edgit would be ideal for us because we do large apart. complexes and whoever does the bed edging is strictly doing bed edging. This is what we really need,so badly, Does anyone know where i can find one, and do they fit redmax 2401 sting trimmer? Please help We need one real bad!!!1

Uranus
01-29-2007, 02:03 AM
http://www.edgit.com/
check it out brian good luck

txgrassguy
01-29-2007, 08:54 AM
I equipped eight FX-110 Sthil handtrimmers with the 4-Mix engine with Edgits starting earlier this year.
My crews take care of large apartment complexes as well as high end residential homes.
All prefer the Edgit over a fixed blade stick edger. The crews will trot out the fixed blade edger for overgrown or never before edged areas then maintain with the Edgit.
I have noticed an overall increase in the speed/efficiency that sites are being completed and with much less missed areas due to continually returning to the truck for a hand trimmer/edger.
Most of the sites we maintain are in heavy clay/light aggregate type soils. The Edgits last about 4 months or so. I have six spare discs in stock at all times and when the formen inspect before going out and then when the crews return, we usually do not have disc failures in the field.

John Gamba
01-29-2007, 09:10 AM
THIS is how to edge with an Edgit on a trimmer. The pic explains it, just walk forward with the Edgit, "dragging" the Edgit to your side.

I've never seen this posted here, and even the Edgit website shows the Edgit being "pushed forward" although the owner of Edgit recommends "dragging" it to your side!

When I switch to trimming with it, I give it a quick flip to hold it with my RIGHT hand on the throttle. You'll find using it with both hands is more ergonomic and less tiring.

I hope this helps anyone who's interested in an Edgit!

Some slick looking sneakers bud:cool2:

naturescape
01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
One thing that's seldom mentioned, even by me, is that the Edgit is FUN to use. At least, compared to everything else.

Envy Lawn Service
01-29-2007, 11:43 AM
The Edgits last about 4 months or so. I have six spare discs in stock at all times and when the formen inspect before going out and then when the crews return, we usually do not have disc failures in the field.

What causes them to last such a short time?

naturescape
01-29-2007, 11:45 AM
What causes them to last such a short time?

I use mine a LOT, I get a couple years out of one. Besides, at only 60 bucks, even 4 months ain't bad.

Never can understand the trouble over the cost of an Edgit here............

naturescape
01-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Some slick looking sneakers bud:cool2:

John, must you comment on EVERYTHING? LOL

I usually wear boots. That was just after setting up my Tanaka w/ an Edgit.

Envy Lawn Service
01-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I was thinking maybe they spin with the head or something... which causes them to get chewed up.

naturescape
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I was thinking maybe they spin with the head or something... which causes them to get chewed up.

No, they are designed to rotate, but they do so only from being moved along the walk.

You should try one! You'll wonder why you didn't years ago. Like I always say, even if you have one JUST to edge beds, it's worth it.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Me Too..... I have thought about the edge-it, but I seem to do well with just the string. However, I might prove to be a useful training tool for my helpers that are not as good at bed edging as I am. I am still thinking about it.

txgrassguy
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Envy, the reason they last for four months is due to the incredible volume of edging my crews complete.
As a for instance, at just one of the seven apartment complexes my crews maintain, there is over 2,500 linear feet of concrete to edge.
This and the harsh conditions the crews operate in causes a limited life span.
The area my crews operate in average almost six months at sustained temperatures at or exceeding 100*F.
The soil type is predominantly clay based soil with fine aggregates and it very, very abrasive.
Heck, even commercial mower blades last only a year at best.

Envy Lawn Service
01-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Me Too..... I have thought about the edge-it, but I seem to do well with just the string. However, I might prove to be a useful training tool for my helpers that are not as good at bed edging as I am. I am still thinking about it.

Seems that's exactly right... a great idea for training...

And let's be honest, even guys like you and I might pick up edging speed and reduce the error that can happen every once in a while. Plus, since I guess it rolls along the ground, we can be a bit lazier too... LOL

I think I'll order some to see what I think.

John Gamba
01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
John, must you comment on EVERYTHING? LOL

I usually wear boots. That was just after setting up my Tanaka w/ an Edgit.

Just having a little fun. I'll post a pic of my cutting sneaks. you'll love them.

naturescape
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM

And let's be honest, even guys like you and I might pick up edging speed and reduce the error that can happen every once in a while. Plus, since I guess it rolls along the ground, we can be a bit lazier too... LOL

Please let me know how you like it!

Envy Lawn Service
01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I will... sometime in the spring I guess... LOL...

gl1200a
01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Well, I'm convinced! I ordered one off of eBay for $45.00 and got it about a week ago. Can't wait for spring... the Edgit and a new JD 797 Z-Trak among a few other niceities. Thanks for the input.

JayD
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I have had the edgit for all this season and I really like as well. It is really great when you do have the edge already there. It makes your work stand out a lot. There are only a very few times that I can't get into a tight corner with it, but for the most part, it's great.:cool2:

JayD
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM

Hey, thanks for the pix. I never thought about draging it like that before. I can't wait to try it.

TheChiefsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 01:31 AM
sooo can u use this thing when edging sidewalks, curbs, and driveways, or jus garden beds?

fiveoboy01
10-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Hmm, I have always held the opinion that a stick edger is the way to go, at least for sidewalks. And I still believe that.

But, I DO think I will have to give one a try next season for (natural) bed edges. They look like that is where they really do a fine job.

naturescape
10-08-2007, 09:28 AM
sooo can u use this thing when edging sidewalks, curbs, and driveways, or jus garden beds?

Everywhere, but it is UNEQUALED for fast, perfect bed edges in my opinion.

Johnson LCO
10-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I am thinking of bidding on a large retirement community contract but it has a ridiculous amount of sidewalk and driveways to edge. Will this make a nice clean cut for edging sidewalks if I use a stick edger on the first cut of the season?

naturescape
10-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I am thinking of bidding on a large retirement community contract but it has a ridiculous amount of sidewalk and driveways to edge. Will this make a nice clean cut for edging sidewalks if I use a stick edger on the first cut of the season?

I'd say so. But in this case, I would use a Tanaka wheeled edger. No weight to carry, just push and go. But if you aren't willing to use a Tanaka push edger, I'd vote for the Edgit over a stick edger.

MJB
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Whats nice about the edgit is you can go forward or backward. Usually I start out the day going forward much like I would if I didn't have an edgit at all, and I find it easier on my back than without. But at the end of the day when my back starts bothering me I just set the edgit in the groove and with 1 hand I can walk backwards running the throttle about 1/2 or less with the edgit against the grass or with the string touching the grass either way. But once you get use to it you only need 1 hand and can rest the other. Worked for over 10 yrs now.

cybervision
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Does the brand or type of string make a difference in the performance? Any thoughts from anyone using the Edgit?

I have seen this before and thought it would work well. I have mostly beds but I was concerned about trees. Now I am going to order one.

naturescape
10-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Whats nice about the edgit is you can go forward or backward. Usually I start out the day going forward much like I would if I didn't have an edgit at all, and I find it easier on my back than without. But at the end of the day when my back starts bothering me I just set the edgit in the groove and with 1 hand I can walk backwards running the throttle about 1/2 or less with the edgit against the grass or with the string touching the grass either way. But once you get use to it you only need 1 hand and can rest the other. Worked for over 10 yrs now.

Have you considered "dragging" it like I show in that first pic here? That way you don't have to walk backwards, and it works WAY better than "pushing" it forward.

naturescape
10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Does the brand or type of string make a difference in the performance? Any thoughts from anyone using the Edgit?

I have seen this before and thought it would work well. I have mostly beds but I was concerned about trees. Now I am going to order one.

String makes a HUGE difference with the Edgit. But it will depend on the size trimmer you have as well. I just ordered Sufix MegaTwist in .105 (actually it is closer to .080 or so) and I think that will work GREAT. As a general rule, and fairly easy to find, a square line in .080 or .095 should work well in your trimmer. What trimmer brand and size is yours?

I should be getting my Edgits free I've worked so hard on here telling people about em. LOL But it's darn near FUN to use. And you WILL get attention. I have gained customers just because of the Edgit.

MJB
10-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Have you considered "dragging" it like I show in that first pic here? That way you don't have to walk backwards, and it works WAY better than "pushing" it forward.

I prefer to to drag it backwards when I get tired like the 3rd pic, only I let my arms hang down and just hold on with one hand unless I want to angle it a little then I use both hands. I've tried just about every way I could think of and the bottom line is I don't want anymore rocks hitting me in the head:dizzy: So when I drag it backwards everything is thrown away from me so I tend to like that. Plus some jobs you have to walk forward to flat trim corners and trees and stuff so I end up doing that then reversing backwards dragging it back toward the truck. I think each person will find something different that they like. The main thing for me is using Echo trimmers with the edgit, because they bolt right on with no brackets that can get bent and wear it out.

cybervision
10-09-2007, 09:53 AM
String makes a HUGE difference with the Edgit. But it will depend on the size trimmer you have as well. I just ordered Sufix MegaTwist in .105 (actually it is closer to .080 or so) and I think that will work GREAT. As a general rule, and fairly easy to find, a square line in .080 or .095 should work well in your trimmer. What trimmer brand and size is yours?

I should be getting my Edgits free I've worked so hard on here telling people about em. LOL But it's darn near FUN to use. And you WILL get attention. I have gained customers just because of the Edgit.

I have a REDMAX BCZ2400S .095 line. I just installed Square Gatorline Magnum .105 to try. I also have the same line in .095 but thought I would try the .105 first. I am going to call and order an Edgit today but my model is not listed on their order form. Hopefully the one for the 2500 series fits.

I was wandering what your connection was to Edgit. I thought maybe you invented it or something. I bet you wish you had.

naturescape
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a REDMAX BCZ2400S .095 line. I just installed Square Gatorline Magnum .105 to try. I also have the same line in .095 but thought I would try the .105 first. I am going to call and order an Edgit today but my model is not listed on their order form. Hopefully the one for the 2500 series fits.

I was wandering what your connection was to Edgit. I thought maybe you invented it or something. I bet you wish you had.

No, I just think it's a very good piece of equipment for how cheap it is.

If it doesn't fit your Redmax, but an Echo gearbox and install it. I have put Echo gearboxes on 3 trimmers, it fit them all! Then the Edgit attaches right to it.

cybervision
10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
No, I just think it's a very good piece of equipment for how cheap it is.

If it doesn't fit your Redmax, but an Echo gearbox and install it. I have put Echo gearboxes on 3 trimmers, it fit them all! Then the Edgit attaches right to it.

The bad news is the Edgit will not fit my Redmax. It also will not fit any of the newer RedMax models. It needs the old style gearbox that has the flange on the back of the head with bolt holes for the guard. I don't know if it is worth switching the gearbox over. Will I need a new head as well?

Frontier-Lawn
10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
this guy drags it...

nice dreadlocks........................ :waving:

dave k
10-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Ray, I had one and sent it back, it seemed like the bearings kept getting clogged up with dirt and it would stop turning and this after only a week or so of using it, when it worked it worked ok, btw, the guy with the dredlocks looks like he's walking on his knees? must be the angle, looks like knee pads he has on the backside?

naturescape
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
The bad news is the Edgit will not fit my Redmax. It also will not fit any of the newer RedMax models. It needs the old style gearbox that has the flange on the back of the head with bolt holes for the guard. I don't know if it is worth switching the gearbox over. Will I need a new head as well?

I don't know. You could call an Echo dealer and ask how much the gearbox is. The head wouldn't be expensive if you need one. But I can't promise the Echo gearbox would fit either, but it did fit all 3 trimmers I tried it on.

Maybe you should pick up a new trimmer? :)

naturescape
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Ray, I had one and sent it back, it seemed like the bearings kept getting clogged up with dirt and it would stop turning and this after only a week or so of using it, when it worked it worked ok, btw, the guy with the dredlocks looks like he's walking on his knees? must be the angle, looks like knee pads he has on the backside?

You had a defective one! I'd try one again. I've had 3 and all have worked perfectly for me, to be honest, I even seldom use the graphite to lube them (maybe 2-3 times a year).

I am only in the first pic posted. The others are what other companies have posted.

brucec32
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Mine does fine even when it isn't lubricated and doesn't turn. It still tracks the edge well, which is the point. One even has a chunk missing out of one end from dropping it (a little brittle) and works well. Huge time and effort saver.

T Total Lawncare
10-10-2007, 12:54 AM

Good I would love to read your reveiw as well. I know you won't pull no punches or cut it no slack.

MJB
10-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Mine does fine even when it isn't lubricated and doesn't turn. It still tracks the edge well, which is the point. One even has a chunk missing out of one end from dropping it (a little brittle) and works well. Huge time and effort saver.

Time to replace them when a chunk comes out. Usually they will disinegrate shortly after this happens the string will catch and rip it up.

corey4671
03-06-2008, 10:40 PM
yes I know this thread is six months old but I am bringing it up only becasue I bought an edgit towards the end of the seaosn last year and installed it this week. I used it for the first time Monday and I LOVE it! I also have a straight shaft edger for my KM110 Stihl. I gotta tell you guys, if I had my choice, I'd leave the edger at home and only use the edgit! It is SO much lighter to carry. I see all you guys say you need an edger to establish a new edge, but I confess, I have cut some new edges with the edgit this week. I just take it slow and run the throttle about half. I have it mounted on the KM110 with the string head. Starting to consider selling the edger attachment or seeing if the dealer will let me trade it back in towards something else.

MJB
03-06-2008, 11:14 PM
yes I know this thread is six months old but I am bringing it up only becasue I bought an edgit towards the end of the seaosn last year and installed it this week. I used it for the first time Monday and I LOVE it! I also have a straight shaft edger for my KM110 Stihl. I gotta tell you guys, if I had my choice, I'd leave the edger at home and only use the edgit! It is SO much lighter to carry. I see all you guys say you need an edger to establish a new edge, but I confess, I have cut some new edges with the edgit this week. I just take it slow and run the throttle about half. I have it mounted on the KM110 with the string head. Starting to consider selling the edger attachment or seeing if the dealer will let me trade it back in towards something else.

Cool, That the way I felt about it too. Question, I didn't know you could put an Edgit on a Stihl . I've always used Echo because you can mount the Edgit directly to it, without any adaptors. The adaptors get bent easy on Redmax. How solid is the adaptor bracket for the Edgit on your Stihl. I would love to change back to Stihl, because Echos are a pain and don't hold up as long IMO.

bill8379
03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
How do you regulate string length with an edgit?

also, how does it perform in corners, like a fence corner?

MJB
03-07-2008, 12:01 AM
How do you regulate string length with an edgit?

also, how does it perform in corners, like a fence corner?

I use a bump head and let out about 1 inch past the Edgit anymore than that and it will bog the motor down. In corners it works the same as any trimmer.
The string goes round and round even in square corners..:laugh:

EJD Lawnpride
03-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Do they now fit the stihl and redmax? I know they had problems.

corey4671
03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Mine bolted right up to the holes for the string guard if I remember correctly. I love that thing!!

grassman177
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
i am reading on here alot of good things and how you like the edgit, we absolutely hated the thing and it only got used for about 1 month. it did do pretty good with edges but could not trim worth a crap with it on . you cant fit it into any tight spots and we have lots of them to trim where you have to whip the string into or between th9ings. does not allow this. but used for edging beds i can see where it would be very good.

I wonder if we still have ours ?????:rolleyes:

naturescape
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I've been an Edgit user for about 8 yrs. I started this thread.

I am planning on buying a Stihl FS 100 RX this spring, and I am hoping to switch out the gearbox with an Echo gearbox so the Edgit bolts right up to it. I have done this with a Tanaka and a Kaw trimmer before with success.

And yes, for edging along flower beds, there is NO other tool that comes even close to the Edgit.

grassaholic
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think you will have 2 switch gearboxes to use the edgit on your Stihl. I have an Edgit on my older FX85 and my newer 110RX. The Edgit bolted up no problems.

naturescape
03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't think you will have 2 switch gearboxes to use the edgit on your Stihl. I have an Edgit on my older FX85 and my newer 110RX. The Edgit bolted up no problems.

Well, I will be buying the FS 100 RX, totally different gearbox on it. I just hope it's basically the same cable as the Echo so I can match them up.

The FS 100 RX is the four-mix, which I want, is 31.4 cc, but only weighs 10.2 lbs. (without the guard or head).