PDA

View Full Version : Lanwmowin Relief.

Sandgropher
07-02-2006, 09:50 AM
How many have thought or have done lawnmowing relief ??? :)

In my paper some one has offered a relief service for other contractors for:

# holidays :D :cool2: :drinkup: :drinkup:

#sick leave etc :(

He has his own machinery and transport, police clearance etc, from what i can gather he gets 80% to keep your business running , i am thinking of doing some thing like this , even to keep some ones business going if they want to sell and have already started work else where, in this case they will lose the lot if they cant sell if a relief person was not avail.:cry:

In this case you may get 100% of the takings, if you have not got your own equip you could lease theres say and get 70%......any way i am thinking of advertising for this as i am quiet at the moment......good idea or not ??? :confused:

Stuttering Stan
07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Sounds a little far fetched to me. Why would you want to inherit some else's headache. If a business is already rolling downhill, it may be impossible to stop.

Splicer
07-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I say go for it...You'll be no worse off than you are now...

topsites
07-02-2006, 10:21 AM
But no, much like the guy who wants 45% to collect all unpaid bills of mine, you wouldn't get no 80% of me either. 70%, maybe, and it's a big maybe... Not all my customers would tolerate this, so since I would lose some anyhow, what's the difference?

Sandgropher
07-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Sounds a little far fetched to me. Why would you want to inherit some else's headache. If a business is already rolling downhill, it may be impossible to stop.

I am not sure you would be inherting a problem, example some one breaks leg got a great business needs some one to keep going, some one wants a holiday or what happened in another town the guy was offered a job back with the immigration dept so walked away from his business because he coundnt sell at that very moment, another guy was offered a big paying job in the mines so he walked away, it is said that both were making around $50,000 a year but i was thinking you could run these businesses with no out lay for yourself and if it takes a year for them to sell you would do O.K.????

At the very least if would be good for a newbie his very own business for no outlay ?

MOturkey
07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Sandgopher, I, personally, think it is a great idea. Some of you may recall my post a while back about some problems I had when taking my annual turkey hunting trips in the spring. I hired a good friend of mine, who helped me a couple of years ago, and he kind of dropped the ball. No real harm was done, but if I had a full-time business, and fussy customers, I could have lost some customers over it.

I've thought of the same concept since talking with another part-timer who volunteered to take over my mowing any time I need off (there are two partners) so I won't have to worry about it. I'm not sure how it would work out for you, but if you are in an area of dense population (I'm not), I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to find solo operators, in particular, who would love to take a family vacation in the peak season, for example, without worrying about their business suffering.

You'd just have to be sure your level of work is as good, or preferably better, than what they do, and I see no problem. I can't see any of my customers getting excited if someone else drove up and started mowing, they'd just be happy it looked good and was done.

The only problem would be on your end, I'm thinkng. You would be limited in building your own business, so as to always be available to fill in for others, although, as I've said, in the right area, I'm thinking that might possibly become a full time job in itself. Good luck.

Sandgropher
07-02-2006, 12:05 PM
yes well 99% of LCOs are solo here, no crews the average age would be 40, i am in a built up location most people retire from the business or leave though ill health usually in there 60s, which gives me another idea , in my town theres about 4 for sale because of ill health i might give one a ring and see if they want me to take over for a while, they would be good businesses as a lot are same owner 20 plus years...agree MOTURKEY that the problem is building up my own business... but it would not be a problem at the moment as is winter (very quiet)............