PDA

View Full Version : String trimmer line at Wal-Mart

DFW Area Landscaper
07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
We bought a spool of this for one of our crews about two weeks ago. Have always used Stihl branded line in the past.

The Wal-Mart stuff is less than half the cost of the Stihl string. I think a spool of Stihl string is $30 at the dealership and the Wal-Mart string is around $13.

Anyone ever use this?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

Gene $immons
07-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I bought a few rolls thinking it was a good deal. I don't remember any complaints. I usually buy the round Stihl .95 (261 meters) for $25.00 plus tax when I go to my dealer for something.

I need to check how long the spool of the walmart stuff is.

every dollar counts.

How's DFW been?

DFW Area Landscaper
07-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Ok, I suppose. I am dissappointed with my June results. May was outstanding but I had so many expenses come up in June it is unreal.

Honda 21's were breaking down like clockwork. Almost every problem was a self-propulsion issue.

One worker didn't put enough oil in one of the Hondas this Monday when we changed oil. The engine seized and it will cost me $550. He is right, the dip sticks are kind of hard to read. So now I have a measuring cup with a black line on 22 ounces. Going forward, they'll pour the oil into the measuring cup and then into the engine. The old "pour a little in and try to read the dipstick" method sucks because oil sticks to the pour tube and the dipstick touches the tube on the way down and it's too easy to mis-read.

I will start making all repairs myself to these machines going forward. Bought a manual from a dealer in another state that shows pictures of all the parts and their part numbers. That is going to be the thing that allows me to make the repairs myself. That way I can call the local dealer and say "I need part number XXXX" instead of driving up there to show him the part on a demo, ordering it, and then driving back a few days later to pick it up.

Just started doing the repairs myself this weekend, but from what I am seeing so far, there are only a few key parts on these machines that breakdown. It might make sense to replace all of these parts every winter and see how things go instead of waiting for them to fail.

Also, I am starting maintenance logs on each and every machine. That way, after a year, I can see exactly how much I am spending for repairs and make a smart decision with regards to buy a new one every year and sell it used on E-Bay a year later. The only thing I am not tracking is the time I am spending on it. That is a lot so far but if I can drop a few thousand more into my pockets each season, I guess I am willing to do it for the time being.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

David Haggerty
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Probably a BETTER line from Wal-Mart. My logic is thqat Wal-Mart has a huge contract with Shakespere (the fishing line folks) so they get their other extruded line from them also.

I have a truckload of Stihl products but I don't go to Stihl for monofilament line.

Dave

Quail Creek LC
07-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I use that red, 3 sided line from walmart. I have been running it for 7-8 years and I have had no problem with it. Seems to last alot longer than any other trimmer line I have tried.

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
07-02-2006, 11:25 AM
we use the green .080 line. been using it for years and will use it as long as its available. we use to do 100 accounts a week and would go through about a spool and a half a season, but that's with using a stick edger on some jobs also.

Gene $immons
07-02-2006, 11:57 AM
I hear ya DFW, The repairs , broken windows, and unexpected stuff kills me too. I had a $1000 repair on the stearing column of my F350, I thought they would just have to tighten it up for $50.00 or so LOL. Oh, and payroll taxes come up in July, that's always a good one to pay.

I have been lucky to hook up with a small engine mechanic who has his own business near my dealer. This mechanic can fix mowers fast, and he is cheap. Self propeller fixes are a pain. I hate ripping the back end off of my Toro's, too many parts, I won't do it.

I add a little oil and ckeck the dipstick method. I need a cup with a line. I have been adding some oil, firing up the mower, and waiting a little bit so that it drains down the tube.

DFW Area Landscaper
07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Now the problem will be dust and grass clippings getting into the measuring cup. Guess I will keep lots of paper towels around.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

lawnboy dan
07-02-2006, 04:02 PM
i like the 3 sided shakesphere line from walmart too. good line for the $

Likestomow
07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Walmart sells Poulan (Weed Eater) line. I've been using their .095, red, 5-sided line for three years and really like it. I buy 6-8, 4.5#-5# spools for around $9 each from a guy that sells their over-stock. I like it.

To protect your measuring cup from airborn debris, just put it into a large, sealable plastic bag and store it until needed again.

Tharrell
07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't want to step on any toes here and I'm not criticizing anyone here. I won't buy things like that from Wal-Mart. I shop at my dealer. I was forced to get an air filter on a saturday afternoon from Tractor Supply a while back though, my dealer was closed that late on a saturday.
I can find a lot of things a couple of bucks cheaper here, there or the internet but, none of those places are loyal to me.
I want my dealer to make money. If I had to deal with the other shops in town, I just can't imagine the consequences.

Quail Creek LC
07-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Tharrel. I understand your point, but we all want more money in our pocket at the end of the year. Sometimes is just makes no sense to buy from my dealer when I can find it 30-50% cheaper elsewhere. The other day I bought a set of blades from my dealer cause I was in a bind. $47.00 for 3 blades. J.thomas has the same ones for half that. Now if were only a $1or $2 difference it would be no big deal, but I'm talking $20.00 difference.

mike lane lawn care
07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
i have bought line at wal-mart, but i like the spools of cub cadet commercial line that i get at tractor supply better.

DFW Area Landscaper
07-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Agree. Dealer loyalty is something I struggle with. Would never buy 2 cycle oil from the dealer. It is like 75% less at Wal-Mart.

I have purchased everything I own from the same dealer and I feel like he has always taken care of me. But this morning, I decided it was time to start keeping a maintenance log on every gasoline engine machine I have. I went through my receipts for the last 3.5 years. I have a catalog from a local dealer out of Illinois that I came across. Anyway, I notice the Illinois dealer's prices for Stihl machines are consistently 20 to 50 dealers less than what I've paid my dealer for the exact same machine.

It is frustrating. But at the same time, I want my local dealer there for me when I have jobs to do and my equipment needs to be replaced immediately.

I am certain I could save hundreds of dollars per year by purchasing equipment and parts from other dealers. But I just don't feel good about it. Probably not the smartest business decision in the world, but I guess I will live with it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

mike lane lawn care
07-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Agree. Dealer loyalty is something I struggle with. Would never buy 2 cycle oil from the dealer. It is like 75% less at Wal-Mart.

I have purchased everything I own from the same dealer and I feel like he has always taken care of me. But this morning, I decided it was time to start keeping a maintenance log on every gasoline engine machine I have. I went through my receipts for the last 3.5 years. I have a catalog from a local dealer out of Illinois that I came across. Anyway, I notice the Illinois dealer's prices for Stihl machines are consistently 20 to 50 dealers less than what I've paid my dealer for the exact same machine.

It is frustrating. But at the same time, I want my local dealer there for me when I have jobs to do and my equipment needs to be replaced immediately.

I am certain I could save hundreds of dollars per year by purchasing equipment and parts from other dealers. But I just don't feel good about it. Probably not the smartest business decision in the world, but I guess I will live with it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

this is a smart decision, your dealer can depend on you for your buisness, and you can count on him for repairs. they begin to know you and your buisness and what your needs are if you stay with one dealer, or at least that's how my dealer works.

newz7151
07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Anyway, I notice the Illinois dealer's prices for Stihl machines are consistently 20 to 50 dealers less than what I've paid my dealer for the exact same machine.

You lost me right here.. are you saying you go to 20 to 50 different dealers?

dcondon
07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
We buy all our spool line from wal-Mart. Never had a problem. It will hold up better then many others. JMO

Tharrell
07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Again, I don't want to step on any toes here but, saving a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart is being penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion. Wal-Mart isn't going to come out to a jobsite or fix your equipment in the parking lot, on the trailer. As far as 30-50% off, are you sure it's the EXACT item? If so, talk to your dealer and maybe he can adjust his margin some. Yeah, we all like more money but, could you lose money when you don't have a reliable dealer nearby? Of course!
Those internet sites and Wal-Mart might be an option for me if I wasn't near a reliable dealer. Tony

topsites
07-03-2006, 10:10 AM
One worker didn't put enough oil in one of the Hondas this Monday when we changed oil. The engine seized and it will cost me $550. He is right, the dip sticks are kind of hard to read. So now I have a measuring cup with a black line on 22 ounces. Going forward, they'll pour the oil into the measuring cup and then into the engine. The old "pour a little in and try to read the dipstick" method sucks because oil sticks to the pour tube and the dipstick touches the tube on the way down and it's too easy to mis-read.

Not to hijack the thread, but how many engines will it take before you guys learn to run synthetic oil?

I don't mean to keep telling you, run synthetic and watch all your oil-related problems disappear.

I change my oil once / year, if I check it once / month that is a lot.
Never seize an engine, I can maintain redline rpm's indefinitely in my car, step on the gas and hold it way up there, as long as I want to, pegging the governor. Then I can drain the oil, leave the plug out, and do it again.

Daner
07-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I buy the line that cuts clean and lasts long.If Walmart has a line that is up to par...Than yes i will use there line. It just may keep all the other manufacturers on there toes.

TNT Lawncare
07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with the synthetic oil part. Spend a few more dollars up front and save yourself a BIG headache.....and lots of money down the road when you engine locks up.

DFW Area Landscaper
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Topsites,

We are running the most expensive version of Mobile Synthetic in the trucks and change oil once per year, which is on pace to be about 6,000 miles.

The thing about that Honda was, it had just a few ounces in the crank case. But it ran for three days like that. I would bet if we had been using Mibile 1 Synthetic, that engine would be fine. The problem is, once the oil gets all black and nasty in an air cooled engine like that, when you change the oil, you aren't just putting in new oil with new viscosity...you are actually draining dust and other harmful debris out of the crank case.

We use the Wal-Mart oil beause it is the cheapest. I think the Mobile 1 Synthetic stuff is about 5X as much $$$. If you're going to drain it every week for cleaning purposes, as opposed to viscosity purposes, what is the point?

Are you saying you run your mower engines all year without an oil change, or do you just do this with the trucks?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

lawnwizards
07-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Again, I don't want to step on any toes here but, saving a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart is being penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion. Wal-Mart isn't going to come out to a jobsite or fix your equipment in the parking lot, on the trailer. As far as 30-50% off, are you sure it's the EXACT item? If so, talk to your dealer and maybe he can adjust his margin some. Yeah, we all like more money but, could you lose money when you don't have a reliable dealer nearby? Of course!
Those internet sites and Wal-Mart might be an option for me if I wasn't near a reliable dealer. Tony
not to be a wise guy but, youre saying your dealer comes out in the field and changes your trimmer line? heckuva dealer i say. your point would be valid if youre talking about mowers and trimmers and high end gear but for string and blades and the other little stuff, if i can' get it cheaper then hell yeah i'm gonna do it.

Dupontcar
07-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I also agree with supporting your local dealer on oil, blades, string. The dealer relies on that profit to stay in business. If everyone starts supporting Wal Mart for that stuff, it will only cost you more for parts and machines down the road. The dealer will want to make up for his lost revenue somehow. There is not that great of money selling machines alone, most dealers would go out of business on relying on profits from machine sales alone.

Just my 2 cents here. Its a free country so shop were you like. I would rather the profit in my dealers pocket than in Wal Marts.

Happy 4th of july Everyone.

Dupontcar

mowerman90
07-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I recently bought a 3# spool of the red .095 triangular line from Shakespear from Wal-Mart. I normally use the Gator Magnum .095 line. I was surprised that the stuff from Wal-Mart doesn't break as easily as the Gator line! The best part is that it's almost 1/3 less money than from my dealer. Hey, when my dealer starts selling it, I'll buy it from him. Till then, it's WallyWorld for me.

cantoo
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
DFW, go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of small plastic containers (look like tupperware)with lids on them. Buy your oil in bulk then fill the containers with 22 cc's or whatever you need. Buy a dozen containers and wash them in your parts washer if they get dirty. If you store the containers in a bigger plastic container they will never get dirty. Quick and easy oil changes and no mismeasuring.

Oxmow
07-04-2006, 12:08 AM
I too have been using the line from walmart for about the last 10 yrs. I have bought their "Pulverizer" line and now use their "weedeater" brand. It seems to have done very well for as long as i have been using it. I use the .095.

I also use a stick edger for edging so i don't wear line as fast.

ALarsh
07-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Wal-Mart isn't going to come out to a jobsite or fix your equipment in the parking lot, on the trailer.

The dealer isn't going to come out to the jobsite either.....

Howie's Lawn Care
07-04-2006, 03:11 AM

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

I have something to say about purchasing oil from dealer. I bought a 48 pack of 6.4oz bottles of Shindaiwa ONE oil from my dealer for $60.00. that's 1.25 a bottle to mix with 2.5 gallons. What does walmart charge for a 2.6oz bottle? I think it was a good deal. What do you think?

As for string, I went with Oregon Magnum square line. I bought a 3lb spool for $38.00. It seems to be very solid line compared to shindaiwa regular and silenttwist. It also seems alot tougher that the green shindaiwa line, but I haven't used the oregon enough to determine that yet.

-Nick Howard

Tharrell
07-04-2006, 06:44 AM
I tend to forget how ridiculous some of the people can be on this forum.
No, my dealer doesn't come out to change my trimmer line, numbnutz.
He has been out for something major though.
Also, the margin on equipment is small and still usually cut for good customers. They make a little on the small items and that's where I buy it.
If you guys can't see how supporting your dealer is the best thing for YOU, I can't convince you. You'll have to learn it the hard way I guess.

ALarsh
07-04-2006, 11:04 AM
No, my dealer doesn't come out to change my trimmer line, numbnutz.
He has been out for something major though.

I wasn't saying to change the trimmer line.....

My dealer wouldn't come out for anything. Most of the time i'll call my buddies up at the distributor and they take care of me...

btw, I keep an eye out on ebay for the small stuff. I just bought a 3 lb spool of stihl trimmer line for $23.

Tharrell
07-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Not you, the other numbnutz.

lawnwizards
07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I tend to forget how ridiculous some of the people can be on this forum.
No, my dealer doesn't come out to change my trimmer line, numbnutz.He has been out for something major though.
Also, the margin on equipment is small and still usually cut for good customers. They make a little on the small items and that's where I buy it.
If you guys can't see how supporting your dealer is the best thing for YOU, I can't convince you. You'll have to learn it the hard way I guess.
people resort to name calling when they don't have a leg to stand on. if you would read the beginning post, he was talking about trimmer line. thats why i said what i said. maybe you should take some reading lessons before you start the name calling. Professionals helping Professionals. Yeah right!.:dizzy:

Tharrell
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
"not to be a wise guy but, youre saying your dealer comes out in the field and changes your trimmer line? heckuva dealer i say. your point would be valid if youre talking about mowers and trimmers and high end gear but for string and blades and the other little stuff, if i can' get it cheaper then hell yeah i'm gonna do it."

Looks to me like you thought my dealer would come out to change my trimmer line. I'm done with this thread now.

lawnwizards
07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
"not to be a wise guy but, youre saying your dealer comes out in the field and changes your trimmer line? heckuva dealer i say. your point would be valid if youre talking about mowers and trimmers and high end gear but for string and blades and the other little stuff, if i can' get it cheaper then hell yeah i'm gonna do it."

Looks to me like you thought my dealer would come out to change my trimmer line. I'm done with this thread now.You may be done but i'm not. Youre the one who said that your dealer would come out in the field and fix your equipment. The original poster asked about trimmer line from wal-mart. "Mr Dealer, please come out and change my trimmer line" Youre harping about dealer loyalty and all he is talking about it trimmer line. I said that if comes down to expensive equipment then you do indeed need to be loyal to your dealer, but if its just trimmer line and little things then it doesn't matter where you get them just aslong and you can get a good deal. Now, I'm through with this thread. Have a nice day.

mulcahy mowing
07-05-2006, 05:55 PM
My dealer wouldn't come out for anything. Most of the time i'll call my buddies up at the distributor and they take care of me...
realy is that so?? I can call my dealer if somthing realy went wrong EX: hydro goes on mower can't get it onto trailer. they have trucks wating.... they do charge a small amount for this (gas costs).