PDA

View Full Version : in WHAT situations is it OK to use roundup as a substitute for using a trimmer weekly

robby
07-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Im guessing most would never use roundup around the edges of a residential, but what about apartments, condos, etc? Our professional service where we live, sprays around the buildings, electrical boxes, fireplugs, etc. Give them credit, they dont spray along the edges of the walkways or mulchbeds. Is this practice acceptable anywhere?

topsites
07-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I spray it anywhere I find it will be pleasing to the eye, around fences, also along brick work, inside beds (not where the plants are heh) and so on.

It saves me tons of time weed-eating, it's cheaper and about as fast, plus I don't sweat as much with the sprayer, I might use a quart / yard max which is like 30 cents, I think most of my yards get Ru'd for around 10 cents.

Great stuff, I'll be looking now for the Glysophate or whatever it is, supposedly if you can find the chem that round-up is made of, it's like 30% cheaper. But really, a gallon of super concentrate is 100 dollars for 128 ounces which, if you mix it at 1.5 ounces / gallon you've got a STRONG mix and you can make like 80-90 gallons of solution which lasts at least a whole year, so $100 / year.

THEGOLDPRO
07-02-2006, 12:36 PM
i have used it at some bigger commercial account we do, where it takes upto a full day with 2 guys string trimming, two of us walked around and sprayed all day, and let me tell you best decision we have ever made.

LawnTamer
07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
On residentials it can be used, I always ask the client first, I don't use it everywhere, only in places where it would be difficult to trim without damaging other property, like around cables or electrical conections, lattice fencing, or if the client has a brand new fence, I might suggest that they allow us to spray a 2-3" pass along it. On large commercial properties it is common here to use a glyphosate product to eliminate most of the trimming.

One warning, in most states it is illegal to apply any EPA registered pesticide on a clients lawn without an applicator license. It doesn't matter if the product comes from a Lesco or a Wal-mart, if it is a registered pesticide (glyphosate is), you must be licensed.
Our state currently has a handful of investigators, who drive around all day pulling over lawn guys, if they are not licensed and have any pesticides, wham, instant fine. If they are licensed, they check for PPE, MSDS, labeling and record keeping.

topsites
07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I think really with the comm.contracts, you still have to weed them out just like the resis, probably 1 out of 10 are doable and the rest are money losers or time wasters... Guess you'd have to watch for red flags, to me going to their meetings would be a BIG red flag right along with pulling weeds by hand, it's not something I do.

But then I think most anytime you deal with an association you're going to have these issues... I find the only time I'm safe is when there exists an owner, and I mean one person who faces the music and is 100% responsible, there is no way around it, we know what we're talking about here. Funny thing is, most owners don't care for contracts any more than I do, I have some commercial props that are owned and I never have these problems and no contract (yes, they pay by the job and quick, too).

So you still gotta weed them out, best I can figure. Guess in my case I got stuck with a pita, even thou it's not one person but a group, one focuses now on the mentality of the group as a whole, and funny as it may sound, once a pita always a pita, yes, even with an association if their expectations as a whole are out of bounds, that is unlikely to change.

Another thing that should've clued me in was the condition of the prop and their expectations... I.e.: It looked like crap when I got there, and they wanted it to look good. Yeah, doesn't everybody? Red flag right there, if you want it to look good then why do it look like crap?
But the red flags are not the same... With a commercial prop, an abandoned car (or more than one) is a red flag, you just don't run into this with resis (or not as much).

Ok, that's how I'll do it but it's hard to resist the greed when someone flashes tens of thousands of dollars in your face.
Because greed clouds my judgement, we make mistakes that way. Guess that's a red flag thou, same as with resis, I call it the money-flaunter, anytime someone flaunts their money, RUN!
And if it took 2-3 years to learn all the red flags with resis, it would likely take that long with comm's, geez...

robby
07-02-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised that many homeowners who be ok spraying it around fences and such. Seems like most I've come across do not like the that dead grass look. I certainly can understand from the landscapers viewpoint that it saves considerable time trimming.

olderthandirt
07-02-2006, 01:38 PM
I think really with the comm.contracts, you still have to weed them out just like the resis, probably 1 out of 10 are doable and the rest are money losers or time wasters... Guess you'd have to watch for red flags, to me going to their meetings would be a BIG red flag right along with pulling weeds by hand, it's not something I do.

But then I think most anytime you deal with an association you're going to have these issues... I find the only time I'm safe is when there exists an owner, and I mean one person who faces the music and is 100% responsible, there is no way around it, we know what we're talking about here. Funny thing is, most owners don't care for contracts any more than I do, I have some commercial props that are owned and I never have these problems and no contract (yes, they pay by the job and quick, too).

So you still gotta weed them out, best I can figure. Guess in my case I got stuck with a pita, even thou it's not one person but a group, one focuses now on the mentality of the group as a whole, and funny as it may sound, once a pita always a pita, yes, even with an association if their expectations as a whole are out of bounds, that is unlikely to change.

Another thing that should've clued me in was the condition of the prop and their expectations... I.e.: It looked like crap when I got there, and they wanted it to look good. Yeah, doesn't everybody? Red flag right there, if you want it to look good then why do it look like crap?
But the red flags are not the same... With a commercial prop, an abandoned car (or more than one) is a red flag, you just don't run into this with resis (or not as much).

Ok, that's how I'll do it but it's hard to resist the greed when someone flashes tens of thousands of dollars in your face.
Because greed clouds my judgement, we make mistakes that way. Guess that's a red flag thou, same as with resis, I call it the money-flaunter, anytime someone flaunts their money, RUN!
And if it took 2-3 years to learn all the red flags with resis, it would likely take that long with comm's, geez...

Please explain where any of this dribble explains where its acceptable to use glysophate or Round Up on properties :confused: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

LwnmwrMan22
07-02-2006, 02:27 PM
NEVER use round up or glyphosate!

All it does is kill off the vegetation, opening the ground for weeds to become prevalent.

If you're going to reduce growth, use a PGR.

When grass gets dry, the only thing that grows is weeds.

One of your main goals is / should be to keep a property weed free.

I don't see how creating bare ground keeps weeds out of the property.

David Haggerty
07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm surprised that many homeowners who be ok spraying it around fences and such. Seems like most I've come across do not like the that dead grass look. I certainly can understand from the landscapers viewpoint that it saves considerable time trimming.

Very true. You have to cover up the dead part. Mulch it. Or use decorative stone. You get paid for spraying. Then you get paid for the mulch or stone. And you never have to trim. It is very difficult to maintain bare ground. Weeds grow back and rain will splash mud on the foundation or whatever you're trimming around.
If you want to get fancy, install plastic edging with the ground cover.

BTW Roundup/gyophospate is a very temporary weed stop. I only use it in shrub beds and in the dripline of trees. Everything else gets Hyvar. Hyvar is a soil sterilant. But it's only approved for industrial use. I recently put down 38 gallons of Hyvar, 13 Gal. 2-4,D & 8 Gal. Roundup all for one customer. They have their own rail yard. It wouldn't have been possible for me to keep that trimmed with a trimmer.

Dave

puppypaws
07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
NEVER use round up or glyphosate!

All it does is kill off the vegetation, opening the ground for weeds to become prevalent.

If you're going to reduce growth, use a PGR.

When grass gets dry, the only thing that grows is weeds.

One of your main goals is / should be to keep a property weed free.

I don't see how creating bare ground keeps weeds out of the property.Good job your the only one that knows how to spell Glyphosate. Roundup is labled as a growth regular on Fescue at the rate of 2 oz's per acre but you better know exactly where your spray pattern is.

tacoma200
07-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Its used alot around here. Customers in this area just are not very picky about their lawn. Most are a combination of weeds and fescue and they want them mowed down to 2.5 inches like a putting green. I ask each customer what they want and get a feel for them. Most of mine don't care, one doctor insist on roundup, some spray it themselves before I get there. I have seen very few sidwalkes edged in this area, very few so that tells you something. Just mow and trim and keep it out of the driveway and pool.

robby
07-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Its used alot around here. Customers in this area just are not very picky about their lawn. Most are a combination of weeds and fescue and they want them mowed down to 2.5 inches like a putting green. I ask each customer what they want and get a feel for them. Most of mine don't care, one doctor insist on roundup, some spray it themselves before I get there. I have seen very few sidwalkes edged in this area, very few so that tells you something. Just mow and trim and keep it out of the driveway and pool.
Ok, I want YOUR customers! Being able to skip the trimming sure would help the cause every day. That could spoil a guy fast.

lawnboy dan
07-02-2006, 07:39 PM
since it rains every day here in fla in the summer -itsmostly a waist of time and money to spray it. toobad cause it saves a lot of time

Precision
07-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Very true. You have to cover up the dead part. Mulch it. Or use decorative stone. You get paid for spraying. Then you get paid for the mulch or stone. And you never have to trim. It is very difficult to maintain bare ground.
Dave

Here in florida. adding the stone and the like makes no difference, the weeds will grow there too.

I spray a thin 2" border along difficult fences and around the perimeter of the house for clients who already pay for weed control in beds. Then I edge weekly and spot spray too keep it clean.

works real well.

Can't be seen from anywhere off the yard and sure looks better than damn weeds and grass on the fence or house.

I liken it to a border on a painting. People seem to be able to envision that.

cantoo
07-02-2006, 09:21 PM
We use it on almost every property here. We give a high quote for the lawn then ask they how they feel about Roundup. If they say fine then we lower the price a little and spray everywhere. Likely half of our properties we don't even have to get off the ZTR. The other half only get trimmed every other week. We also don't take fussy customers cause usually they don't want to pay what we need to maintain their property. Commercials usually get regular doese of round up. We even have a few customers that all we do for them is apply round up once per month they do all their own cutting.

Freddy_Kruger
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I bought this grass killer concentrate my plan was to use it along fences but when I started this spring, I came across a couple customers who did the round up thing themselves, it does save ME time, but its looks awful. A line of dead grass 3" wide, along a fence or bed of mulch. Now I'm scared to apply it myself and make a yard look like that.

tacoma200
07-02-2006, 09:48 PM
We use it on almost every property here. We give a high quote for the lawn then ask they how they feel about Roundup. If they say fine then we lower the price a little and spray everywhere. Likely half of our properties we don't even have to get off the ZTR. The other half only get trimmed every other week. We also don't take fussy customers cause usually they don't want to pay what we need to maintain their property. Commercials usually get regular doese of round up. We even have a few customers that all we do for them is apply round up once per month they do all their own cutting.

Thats about my situation also. When you mention the price will be lower they jump on it. About 1/2 of mine are done that way. It really doesn't look bad the way I do it, very narrow spray area. I just do what the customer wants. There is alot of competition around here, seems like every other pickup is pulling a mower and this is a rural area. I just try to fill a niche in the market, by being dependable, flexible, and always have an open ear to any concerns.