PDA

View Full Version : Walker Diesel vs Gas

zinkjo
07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Just went to my local walker dealer to get some prices. We are looking for a 48" ZTR. Narrowed down our decision to Model T vs Model D. T is a Kohler 20HP where D is a Kubota 20HP diesel. T is 8,800 where D is 12,200. Is the diesel worth the extra 4K?

Picky1
07-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Personally, no. I had the 16.5 diesel(96 model). It was not designed with the southern heat in mind, and it's life span was no longer than a gas engine's. For the difference in price, you could buy a back-up gas engine for the future. My experience with Kubota customer service was also less than acceptable. I felt like they treated me with less importance than if I had owned a Kubota rig. Improvements have been made on the cooling system, so the diesels would probably have a more acceptable life span, but for the money, I would stay with gas.
~Bruce

Ron's Lawncare
07-03-2006, 04:30 PM
to replace a kohler is about $1500 dollars.so yould buy 2 extra engines....The walker mower is the most popular machine in my area. it seems the tractor will wear out before the deisel engine will. i will never spend that extra $ for the deisel.

tallimeca
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
The diesel isn't worth the extra money. Like the other guy said, everything will wear out and the diesel will keep going. Expect 1500 hours out of your average Kohler. Sometimes a little less if you aren't good at maintaining it. Maybe more if you are. But you can drop a new motor in for 2k including labor.

I will also recommend checking out the Navigator from Exmark. See if a local dealer has a demo unit. I think you'll be impressed.

Willofalltrades
07-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I would recogmend the 26hp EFI. The 20hp is nice but the fuel economy on my unit is incredable. Plus I you will not have to worry about being under powered becuse the 26hp unit is a power house. Lets not mention I don't fiddle with chokes.

Mowing Freak
07-04-2006, 08:02 AM
The expected life for the 21hp kubota diesel motors is 6000 to 7000hrs according to what i've been told. I just bought a new walker and went with the diesel as there is more torque over the 20hp and I can use farm fuel in it so my fuel bill is cheaper on the mower, plus, the diesel uses less fuel per hour that the gas motor. I asked about the new 29 or 30hp but they arent going to be out until later this year and I needed a mower now.

RyanD
07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
mowing freak, are you using you mower on the farm?

Mowing Freak
07-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Nope, use it for mowing yards. I wish I lived on a farm. Acually I like farm work, or at least I did for the summer I worked on a farm.

zinkjo
07-04-2006, 06:53 PM
For all you Walker owners are you happy with the mower? I've narrowed my search down to the Walker Model D or an Exmark. Looking to improve the quality of our cut. We currently run Toro's.

Willofalltrades
07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
The expected life for the 21hp kubota diesel motors is 6000 to 7000hrs according to what i've been told. I just bought a new walker and went with the diesel as there is more torque over the 20hp and I can use farm fuel in it so my fuel bill is cheaper on the mower, plus, the diesel uses less fuel per hour that the gas motor. I asked about the new 29 or 30hp but they arent going to be out until later this year and I needed a mower now.

What 29hp or 30hp mower are you talking about? the 31hp Liquid cooled EFI motor has been out for over a year maybe 2 now. Is there a different engine going into a Walker that I am not aware about?

zinkjo.. If you are planning on getting a mower to IMPROVE the quality of your cut the Walker is the best canadate. I love the cut my 26hp leaves. They aren't the MOST productive but they are better than a walkbehind. If you have any questions please PM me. - Will

Mowing Freak
07-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I thought the 31hp was already out too but my dealer said they weren't out yet will be later this year. I knew the 26hp were out but not the 31hp liquid cooled. I'm just confused but went with the diesel as I don't need that much power all the time. The diesel does me just fine.

Far as going with a walker or exmark, you cant go wrong with either one. I personally like the out front deck more as you can get under trees and change blades easier. It all depends on what you are going to do with it. The exmark can get in tighter places than the walker, but if I have that problem, I just use the trimmer for the larger patches of grass. I have no personal experience with exmark, just going on what owners who I have talked with have told me. I dont know a thing about exmarks out front mower except that it looks a lot like a walker.