PDA

View Full Version : Let me ask you a question

K c m
07-02-2006, 03:33 PM
How would you handle a situation where the customer said he would buy the mower and i would just cut it. He had the lawn sodded last year and didn't like the results so he got it resodded this yr and looks a lot nicer. The reason for this is he wants it bagged but he is the only customer that wants it bagged so Im not spending 400 dollars for a bagging mower that won't make its money bak ya no? I explained the benefits of double cutting it and the small pieces actually fertalize the lawn. The price of the lawn is 20 bucks cause its so small. Would you keep the price the same or drop it a few bucks? Just some advice is that if he does that ill probably just drop him.

TURF DOCTOR
07-02-2006, 03:53 PM
How much time to cut it,seems like a no lose no equipment to supply.

LawnTamer
07-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a potential PITA to me. I have found that the more I can keep my processes the same, like an assembly line approach, the more money I make. You haven't even started yet and he wants it done differently than what your equipment is set up to handle, I just see a little warning light going on there.

K c m
07-02-2006, 04:45 PM
O yes by far a pita. They are on a 10 day cycle and if i deviate a little I mean i usally show up at 10am if im late like 1030 i get yelled at. Im really at witts end with some of these people. I got rid of the bi weekly's and bad pay customers and settled for the good ones Since im getting a regular 40 work week. :hammerhead:
Im to nice for this business. :rolleyes:

topsites
07-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a potential PITA to me. I have found that the more I can keep my processes the same, like an assembly line approach, the more money I make. You haven't even started yet and he wants it done differently than what your equipment is set up to handle, I just see a little warning light going on there.

Yup, I done got tired of the mickey mouse firlyfanz horse and pony show.

If they buy the machine then they can cut it, too.
If they're cutting half, they can cut the other half also.
If someone else cuts it before I get out there, whoever did it can keep on cutting it.

//////////////
I got them too... Just had one acting like he was doing me a big favor by sending me this referral... I went out to look and it's a class-D yard (translation: hardly any grass), less than a 1000 square feet and he's 45 days behind in paying and now he calls me on Sunday on my home telephone.
I called him back, said the estimate on the new lot was 30 dollars, to please send payment on the 45-day balance to ensure continued service and also to call me at business number 555-1212 instead of my home phone.
I said it as nicely as I could but I am sure something else went across, thou that was not my intention, I even pre-typed the stuff so I could read it off verbatim.

I mean...

mak2
07-02-2006, 06:26 PM
The one thing I have learned is if a customer starts to seem like a PITA, LOSE HIM, HE IS. I started last year and went overboard to keep people. I have had 3 PITA's. They started out with simple requests. Like dont mow close enough to "touch" my bush, then progressed to bagging and blowing under his equiptment in the drive way, and I am not talking about just grass, debris from his buisness etc. Tell them what you will do when you take the buisness, then do it and nothing else without raising the price. I tend to be too easy going, but you waste time on PITA's you could be spending on good customers or finding more good customers. Cut the pitas lose quick, saves you time and money and it will happen anyway. for every PITA I have cut loose I have immediately replaced with a goood customer.

ThirdDay
07-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Drop him like a bad habit!

DJ Contracting
07-02-2006, 06:42 PM
For such a small lawn can't you buy a 21" push with a bagger and bag the one account far less than buying a $400.00 bagger system.

gene gls
07-02-2006, 07:05 PM
O yes by far a pita. They are on a 10 day cycle and if i deviate a little I mean i usally show up at 10am if im late like 1030 i get yelled at. Im really at witts end with some of these people. I got rid of the bi weekly's and bad pay customers and settled for the good ones Since im getting a regular 40 work week. :hammerhead:

Get rid of him..............

NNJLandman
07-02-2006, 07:17 PM
No offense but part of being in the business, is to have the equipment to fit peoples needs so either you supply the equipment forget it, plus like the rest said, it seems like a bad deal....whos gonna pay for gas, and service the mower, if something happens to HIS equipment youll end up buying the mower. Doesnt seem like a good idea.

Jeff

Team-Green L&L
07-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Just as we can't dictate a clients schedule, neither can they ours. No doubt PITA material. Cut ties and keep your pride as a professional. Professionals don't trade labor for equipment. That's what at-home tatooists do.

Brianslawn
07-02-2006, 08:15 PM
tell him if he buys you a walker mower, youll cut it for free.

Precision
07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Just say no.
the sooner you learn that clients are replaceable, the better business you will have. Less headaches and less idiots as clients

If any of my clients ask if I would use there mower, I would say sure. But at triple the price.

Idealtim
07-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Use his stuff and charge him 20$. Win-Win! You are right for telling him about how its healthier to mulch.

grassmanvt
07-02-2006, 09:05 PM
How would you handle a situation where the customer said he would buy the mower and i would just cut it. He had the lawn sodded last year and didn't like the results so he got it resodded this yr and looks a lot nicer. The reason for this is he wants it bagged but he is the only customer that wants it bagged so Im not spending 400 dollars for a bagging mower that won't make its money bak ya no? I explained the benefits of double cutting it and the small pieces actually fertalize the lawn. The price of the lawn is 20 bucks cause its so small. Would you keep the price the same or drop it a few bucks? Just some advice is that if he does that ill probably just drop him.

Your cutting for 20 a cut and taking dictation from this customer? Also, I can't understand why he would pay to buy a mower but not go to once a week service. Honestly, the first time I would have talked to this guy, I would have straightened out these issues or it would have been our last conversaion.

imdawrlus
07-03-2006, 12:59 AM
if he wants to buy a mower, why dosent he just cut the grass himself???

HOOLIE
07-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Precision summed it up pretty well. This is the type of customer you MIGHT consider working with if you were like in your first month of being in business. Like someone else said, assembly-line...you're offering a service and it doesn't fit his needs, so simple...part ways...you can't make everyone happy and the sooner you realize this the better off you will be.